Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPad w/ or w/out 3G?

Arrow iPad w/ or w/out 3G?
    Hello All,

I was wondering what you would suggest: should I buy an iPad with 3G support or without and connect it to a jailbroken iPhone 4? Any personal comments / experience? Many thanks!

Thanks

I bought the Wi-Fi only model and tethered it wirelessly with MyWi on my 3GS. Now I'm waiting for the iPhone 4 jb so I can tether to my iPhone 4. Saves me $130 on the iPad and whatever additional monthly data plan required for the iPad. Works great.

Thanks for your response kinjutsu! what about the battery? do 3g models last as long as iphones or far more? thanks!

3G last I think like 30min less or was it a bit more? Regardless it's a negligible amount. I got the 3G for the GPS and the potential to activate the 3G in the future. I initially went to the iPod Touch over the iPhone a few years ago and wished I just got the phone instead. For the extra $130 for the GPS and the potential for 3G it seemed a better choice.

Thanks

I'm not sure about battery on 3G, but on the Wi-Fi iPad the battery is outstanding. It beat my expectations on battery life. As far as GPS, it works over the Wi-Fi connection also.

Well, to clarify on kinjutsu, the WiFi has fairly accurate location services using wifi signals to find your location, however it's not GPS nor does it have actual GPS. Only the 3G has an actual GPS (A-GPS actually) built into it and will use GPS with or without assistance from wifi or 3G.

Which means as a navigator, geocache tool, turn-by-turn unit and whatever else a GPS is used for only the 3G will offer the full spectrum of functionality and accuracy.

However...this may or may not be useful for you. If not, go WiFi

Either way you'll be happy with your new friend...

I've got both. Initially, I bought the WiFi, then gave that to my wife when the 3G came out.

The battery life is extremely similar between the two. As lumberjak says, the real difference other than the 3G is the GPS.

Honestly, in retrospect, I'm not sure it's really worth the price difference to me. I can tether to my iPhone (or swap sim cards), which is grandfathered to the unlimited data plan, and the places that I'm without WiFi these days are pretty few and far between.

As far as GPS is concerned, I was able to use my old Bluetooth GPS unit with the aid of BTStack GPS, so at that point, the only difference was convenience and bulk.

Thanks

Didn't know that about the GPS on wifi vs 3G, thanks for the clarification.