+ Reply
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: HOWTO: So, you want to try Flash on your iPad (Snow Leopard Only!)

is a discussion within the

iPad Jailbreaking

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
Hey all. I think this is the first real post I've made (about a topic other then IRC), so bare with me. The purpose of this post is simple.. You
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Wink HOWTO: So, you want to try Flash on your iPad (Snow Leopard Only!)
    Hey all.

I think this is the first real post I've made (about a topic other then IRC), so bare with me. The purpose of this post is simple.. You want to try Flash on your iPad device, and you're not sure where to start... This is an advanced tutorial. I wouldn't try it unless you're familiar with the terminal, familiar with actual googling for answers, and general linux stuff.

Before we begin, lets get a few pre-requites out of the way..

Things you'll need:
    • XCode 3.22 with iPhone SDK 3.2 Final (Apple Link)
    • GIT For OS X [Google Code Link]
    • ldid and ldid2 [Link]
    • Leopard 10.6.4
    • An Android Image of libflashplayer.so (Froyo) placed in the frash directory
    • Jailbroken Apple iPad
    • Cydia Installed
    • RSync Installed
    • SSH Client Installed
    • A Brain with terminal familiarity

I. XCode & GIT Installation
    Even if you have the latest version of XCode, you still probably don't have the proper SDK files. You can obtain these one of two ways...

The first way is to find a developer with an old version of XCode installed, and take his /Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platform/Developer/SDKs folder. This will give you specifically iPhoneOS3.1.3.sdk and iPhoneSimulator3.1.3.sdk, both of which we need for this process.

The second way is to simply uninstall your current version of XCode. You can do this by running the following in a terminal prompt:
    Code:
    sudo /Developer/Library/uninstall-devtools --mode=all
    Now, simply install the older version of XCode linked above, and you'll be good to go.

After you've installed the new version of XCode, you'll need to install git and restart your shell environment.

You can test git by simply running the command 'git' in a shell prompt. Git is a source control system like SVN you'll need to download the latest flash source.

In the new version of XCode, Apple removed all 3x SDKs, so you can no longer compile the plugin.

II. Hacking XCode

Now that you've installed XCode, you need to configure it so that it allows us to compile something useful without an Apple certificate. [Original Source Here]

The first step to this is to replace the code signing mechanism that XCode uses.
    1. Open /Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platform/Info.plist
    2. Replace all occurrences of XCiPhoneOSCodeSignContext by XCCodeSignContext. There should be two of them, one around line 46 and another around line 79.
    3. Save the file and restart Xcode.
    If you are looking for a quick way to edit files, try sudo nano /Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platform/Info.plist

Now that we've changed XCodes signing mechanism, we need to replace the actual application it uses to sign the code.

This application is ldid and ldid2. ldid2 is a script which calls ldid with special parameters required for signing iPad applications and post 3.1.x applications. Take the ldid and ldid2 that you downloaded from the requirements section, and place it in /usr/local/bin. (cp ldid* /usr/local/bin).

Now that ldid and ldid2 are in place, we need to ensure that they have proper executable access. In your terminal, type the following:
    Code:
     chmod +x /usr/local/bin/ldid
    chmod +x /usr/local/bin/ldid2
    Great, we're almost done configuring XCode. The last part is to tell XCode to use ldid2 instead of it's default codesign.

Open up /Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platform/Developer/Library/Xcode/Plug-ins/iPhoneOS Build System Support.xcplugin/Contents/Resources/iPhoneCodeSign.xcspec, and change
    Code:
     CommandLine = "/usr/bin/codesign"
    to
    CommandLine = "/usr/local/bin/ldid2"
    Save and restart XCode.

III. Getting The Source

Pop open the terminal, and navigate to your desktop (cd ~/Desktop) and lets start a GIT checkout. The main repoistory is at comex's frash at master - GitHub, however we'll be using a branch made by kangaroo which fixes a few problems with the main repository. I don't know how long he will keep this repo updated, so keep the first link in case you need to checkout the main branch at a later date.

Type in:
    Code:
    git clone http://github.com/kangaroo/frash.git
    GIT will run and make a 'clone' or a copy of the codebase to your local computer.

Now that you have a codebase copied, there are a few files you need to go scavenge for to make a local copy.. Make sure you're at the ~/Desktop/frash directory, as in our example. Type in the following:

Code:
    cp -a /System/Library/Frameworks/IOSurface.framework/Versions/A/Headers Player2/IOSurface
    cp -a /System/Library/Frameworks/IOSurface.framework/Versions/A/Headers food/IOSurface
    cp -a /Developer/Platforms/iPhoneSimulator.platform/Developer/SDKs/iPhoneSimulator3.1.3.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/IOKit.framework/Versions/A/Headers/ food/IOKit
    cp -a /Developer/Platforms/iPhoneSimulator.platform/Developer/SDKs/iPhoneSimulator3.1.3.sdk/System/Library/Frameworks/IOKit.framework/Versions/A/Headers/ Player2/IOKit

ln -s /Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platform/Developer/SDKs/iPhoneOS3.1.3.sdk /var/sdk
    export PATH=/Developer/Platforms/iPhoneOS.platform/Developer/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin:$PATH
    The first few commands copy the versions of the SDK that were installed by XCode to your local tree.

The link command (ln) creates a symbolic link, defining the iPhoneOS.platform 3.1.3 SDK as your primary SDK for linking, as definined in the make files. If you encounter compile errors, check to make sure /var/sdk exists (ls /var/sdk)

The last one adds the developer directory to your path, as well as /usr/bin to your path as well as /usr/local/bin (remember, we put ldid and ldid2 there?)

IV. The Right Key to unlock the door...

Now that we've completed XCode configuration, we need to create a self signed key which allows us to sign our code with some signature.. Any signature..

Use spotlight to find keychain access. Click KeyChain Access, Certificate Assistant, Create a Certificate.
    Code:

Under Name, type iPhone Developer (case sensitive)
    Under Identity Type: Self Signed Root
    Under Certificate Type: Code Signing
    Now hit continue. This will create a certificate for iPhone Developer. The repoistory and XCode project is pre-configured to accept a certificate with this exact common name.

We're done with certificates..

V. Compiling

Each command listed here must be run from the main directory, where you see such folders as Player2 and 'food.'

Lets explain the interaction between these components briefly. The main wrapper for the android flash application is called food, and it is a launch daemon that runs in a low memory state when you start up your iPad/iPhone.

The second component, known as Player2, is a plugin which connects to the food component using interprocess communication, or IPC. Both of these components work in tandem to deliver flash to your device.

So, what does this mean? We need a few components. We need the libraries required for frash to operate, we need frash itself, we need the android flash player, we need the safari plugin, and we need the actual plist file to start the daemon upon the iPads boot. Without any of these components, the IPC communication will fail, and you'll end up with the black screen.

With that said, lets start the build process.

Type the following (please note any errors):
    Code:
    make -C rpc
    make -C utils
    make -C libgcc
    make -C food
    xcodebuild -alltargets -project Player2/Player2.xcodeproj
    If all goes smoothly, you should now have a fully functioning, and built frash installation. The only thing left is to install it!

VI. The Installation

For the installation, as I said, we need to connect the components up. Copy and paste the following installation script (thanks Kangaroo!) in a file called install2 in your frash directory.

Make sure to chmod +x install2, and MAKE SURE 'libflashplayer.so' is located in your frash directory.

Code:
    #!/bin/sh
    IP="your-ipads-ip"
    set -e
    pushd icu
    for i in libicudata.42.1.dylib libicuio.42.1.dylib; do install_name_tool -change ../lib/libicudata.42.1.dylib libicudata.42.1.dylib $i; done
    popd
    rsync -avz food/food{,.sb,.plist,_wrapper} utils/lib{c,}utils.dylib icu/*.dylib libflashplayer.so libgcc/libgccstuff.dylib oem.cfg root@$IP:/var/mobile/frash/
    rsync -avz Frash.webplugin/ root@$IP:'/System/Library/Internet\ Plug-Ins/Frash.webplugin' 
    rsync -avz Player2/build/Release-iphoneos/Plugin.dylib root@$IP:'/System/Library/Internet\ Plug-Ins/Frash.webplugin/'
    This script works as of July 10th, 2010 and may not work with later builds! PLEASE ALWAYS USE INSTALL.SH PROVIDED WITH THE BUILD! THIS IS AN ALTERNATIVE ONLY

Please be sure to replace your iPad's IP with the one listed in the script. Also make sure you've installed RSYNC from Cydia, as the command will fail.

After this script runs, ensure that on your iPad, '/System/Library/LaunchDaemons/food.plist' exists. If not, copy it from /var/mobile/frash. You can verify this by executing the following twice:
    Code:
    launchctl load /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/food.plist
    If the daemon has loaded properly, the first time you execute this command you should see no output. The second time it should tell you that the port is in use. The daemon is now started properly, and you've installed Frash!

REBOOT YOUR iPAD

VII. A Word On Directory Paths

If you are tempted to copy these files over by SFTP, be very careful to maintain all of the symlinks. Very bad things could occur if you ignore the symlinks on the libraries, and your installation of Frash just won't work.

Also, you can use the launchctl command to test that the daemon is loading properly. Also verify that the plugin is located in /System/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Frash.webplugin/, and that the plugin file is present in that directory.

VIII. Appendix

Q: IT DOESN'T COMPILE!!!!?!?!111
    A: Don't panic. Go over each step. Ensure you've done everything just right. Look at the errors, they are not in a language you don't understand. Google the errors. You can find the answer.

If that fails, just reply with a question..

ldid2
    Code:
    #!/bin/sh

hasGTA=`expr "$*" : '.* -gta .*'`;
    objpath=${!#}/`expr ${!#} : '.*/\([^/]\{1,\}\)\.app$'`;

if [[ $hasGTA == 0 ]]; then
     /usr/local/bin/ldid -S $objpath;
    else
     TF=`mktemp -t x`;
     echo "<!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC \"-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN\" \"http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd\"><plist version=\"1.0\"><dict><key>get-task-allow</key><true/></dict></plist>" > $TF;
     /usr/local/bin/ldid -S$TF $objpath;
     rm $TF;
    fi;
    Q: What are the proper contents of /var/mobile/frash?
    A:
    Code:
    -rwxrwxrwx 1 root staff   138256 Jul  5 21:54 food*
    -rwxrwxrwx 1 root staff      736 Jul  5 21:51 food.plist*
    -rwxrwxrwx 1 root staff     1181 Jul  5 21:51 food.sb*
    -rwxrwxrwx 1 root staff    14324 Jul  5 21:54 food_wrapper*
    -rwxrwxrwx 1 root staff    58232 Jul  5 21:52 libcutils.dylib*
    -rwxrwxrwx 1 root staff  8422664 Jul  5 21:57 libflashplayer.so*
    -rwxrwxrwx 1 root staff    45372 Jul  5 21:53 libgccstuff.dylib*
    -rwxrwxrwx 1 root staff 16015524 Jul  6 00:10 libicudata.42.1.dylib*
    lrwxr-xr-x 1 root staff       21 Jul  5 21:51 libicudata.42.dylib -> libicudata.42.1.dylib*
    lrwxr-xr-x 1 root staff       21 Jul  5 21:51 libicudata.dylib -> libicudata.42.1.dylib*
    -rwxrwxrwx 1 root staff  2271060 Jul  5 21:51 libicui18n.42.1.dylib*
    lrwxr-xr-x 1 root staff       21 Jul  5 21:51 libicui18n.42.dylib -> libicui18n.42.1.dylib*
    lrwxr-xr-x 1 root staff       21 Jul  5 21:51 libicui18n.dylib -> libicui18n.42.1.dylib*
    -rwxrwxrwx 1 root staff    49368 Jul  6 00:10 libicuio.42.1.dylib*
    lrwxr-xr-x 1 root staff       19 Jul  5 21:51 libicuio.42.dylib -> libicuio.42.1.dylib*
    lrwxr-xr-x 1 root staff       19 Jul  5 21:51 libicuio.dylib -> libicuio.42.1.dylib*
    -rwxrwxrwx 1 root staff   315456 Jul  5 21:51 libicule.42.1.dylib*
    lrwxr-xr-x 1 root staff       19 Jul  5 21:51 libicule.42.dylib -> libicule.42.1.dylib*
    lrwxr-xr-x 1 root staff       19 Jul  5 21:51 libicule.dylib -> libicule.42.1.dylib*
    -rwxrwxrwx 1 root staff    57744 Jul  5 21:51 libiculx.42.1.dylib*
    lrwxr-xr-x 1 root staff       19 Jul  5 21:51 libiculx.42.dylib -> libiculx.42.1.dylib*
    lrwxr-xr-x 1 root staff       19 Jul  5 21:51 libiculx.dylib -> libiculx.42.1.dylib*
    -rwxrwxrwx 1 root staff   134600 Jul  5 21:51 libicutu.42.1.dylib*
    lrwxr-xr-x 1 root staff       19 Jul  5 21:51 libicutu.42.dylib -> libicutu.42.1.dylib*
    lrwxr-xr-x 1 root staff       19 Jul  5 21:51 libicutu.dylib -> libicutu.42.1.dylib*
    -rwxrwxrwx 1 root staff  1491120 Jul  5 21:51 libicuuc.42.1.dylib*
    lrwxr-xr-x 1 root staff       19 Jul  5 21:51 libicuuc.42.dylib -> libicuuc.42.1.dylib*
    lrwxr-xr-x 1 root staff       19 Jul  5 21:51 libicuuc.dylib -> libicuuc.42.1.dylib*
    -rwxrwxrwx 1 root staff   297192 Jul  5 21:53 libutils.dylib*
    -rwxrwxrwx 1 root staff      743 Jul  5 21:51 oem.cfg*
    Q: What is the structure of /System/Library/Internet Plug-Ins/Frash.webplugin?
    A:
    Code:
    -rwxrwxrwx 1 root staff  1397 Jul  5 21:51 Info.plist*
    -rwxr-xr-x 1 root staff 53168 Jul  6 00:07 Plugin.dylib*
    -rwxrwxrwx 1 root staff 21225 Jul  5 21:51 logo.jpg*
    Q: Why do I get a black screen?
    A: The most common reason for this is that for some reason, the food daemon is not loadable. Please see the section on ensuring that the plist is in place in the startup daemons folder.
    Last edited by cmoski; 07-06-2010 at 05:08 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to cmoski For This Useful Post:

Mookest (07-07-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hi

I have been trying to get this to work for a couple of days now. I can get it to compile fine and install onto the iPad. When I try to access any Flash, it starts to load and then hangs within a few seconds displaying "Unexpected Error".

The only two things I have done differently to your instructions is to build against the latest XCode/SDK 4.0 build (with SDK 3.2 as the target) and used my own iPhone Dev certificate to sign it properly.

I'm going to try installing SDK 3.2 again and compile against that in case that is the problem, but if you have any other idea as to what might be causing the problem I'd be very grateful.

Cheers,
    Mike.

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Ho... Ly... crap. What a pain.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Thanks

Can someone just make a deb file (compile it or something) lol i mean i haz a dev account and provisions and all that but im toooooooooooooooooo lazy lol
    [IMG]http://img829.imageshack.us/img829/9703/modu.gif[/IMG]

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Can someone please point me in the right direction as to where I could find the original Android Flash binary that you need in this tutorial? libflashplayer.so I have been googling for hours but I cannot seem to find it anywhere.
    Thanks

UPDATE 12PM July 6th
    Incase anyone wants the deb is here: http://wherethewoozlewasnt.com/files/frash.deb

Quote Originally Posted by WoozleWrangler View Post
    Hi guys. I thought I'd post a .deb here so people can try it out in its current state. Since it's too big to attach, you can get it from http://wherethewoozlewasnt.com/files/frash.deb To avoid any illegalities, the package does not include the libflashplayer.so file from the Android version. You'll have to get it from somewhere else. FYI - you can of course transfer the file from your android phone. Also, .apk files can be extracted with 7zip To install the package, transfer frash.deb to your ipad and do 'dpgk -i frash.deb' - you'll also need to copy libflashplayer.so to /var/mobile/frash/
    Last edited by vcazan; 07-06-2010 at 10:52 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Anyone got this working? i get the same problem with my build and with the deb package above. Flash starts and hangs with "Unexpected Error" - I've tried the news.bbc.co.uk website and a couple of Facebook Flash games and its the same problem....

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vcazan View Post
    Can someone please point me in the right direction as to where I could find the original Android Flash binary that you need in this tutorial? libflashplayer.so I have been googling for hours but I cannot seem to find it anywhere.
    Thanks

UPDATE 12PM July 6th
    Incase anyone wants the deb is here: http://wherethewoozlewasnt.com/files/frash.deb
    How do you create the .deb? I wanted to do the build on a mac at work, but take the deb home and copy to my ipad via SSH..

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

After you have the final build the deb file just helps with packaging and installation. All you need to do is open terminal on your ipad and type dpkg -i frash.deb and it will install. After it installs just copy your flash library file to /var/mobile/frash/

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I get that part. I want to make the .deb myself.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

You dont need to do anything differently when creating a deb file, there are hundreds of tutorials online.
    Here is a good one on youtube: YouTube - How to Build Deb Package for iPhone and iPod Touch

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

'Unexpected Error' most likely derives from one of two reasons.

In XCode, ensure that you're building it against the 3.1.3 base SDK, and not the generic 3.2 build target. Also, I've seen some inconsistent results with the latest version of XCode.

The next reason (using the deb, I assume?) is that your libflashplayer.so may be the wrong version. Some Android versions of libflashplayer.so are sub-6mb, and are unsuitable for the version frash was developed against. It's just the wrong libflashplayer.so. I haven't checked out the deb, so make sure your filesystem looks something like posted above, and try the 'launchctl load /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/food.plist' command to see if the daemon starts properly.

Please ensure that you have a libflashplayer.so in your /var/mobile/frash directory that is over 8 mb. Mine has the MD5 of 92BDB647E57E00ECBC5FDCAFC51A184E.

Here is a hint. Try starting your search for Droid Froyo installation/hacked ROMs. You'll find the correct version of Flashplayer inside after mounting the filesystem. You need the armeabi variant

Given it's extremely beta nature, it would probably be best to compile it from source for now.. It's nowhere near ready for prime time. Piles of debs floating around may do more harm then good..
    Last edited by cmoski; 07-06-2010 at 02:09 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by cmoski View Post
    Given it's extremely beta nature, it would probably be best to compile it from source for now.. It's nowhere near ready for prime time. Piles of debs floating around may do more harm then good..
    The deb above is the most current version as of 9am July 6th. Someone should submit it to a cydia repo and keep updating as new revsions come out. That way you dont have to risk random debs floating around.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by vcazan View Post
    The deb above is the most current version as of 9am July 6th. Someone should submit it to a cydia repo and keep updating as new revsions come out. That way you dont have to risk random debs floating around.
    I really want to try this out but I don't have a Mac. Using that .deb you posted earlier would I be able to install frash? Hosting this on Cydia would be pretty awsome (keeps it simple for idiots like me).

Also to the developer/anyone that has frash installed. Does this slow the browser down or eat up battery life?

Thanks

Aw. It is great. I can finally browse websites whose navigation solely relies on flash (Like classes online). Its nice. bit glitchy on certain things, but great implementation idea.

Thanks

Ok I got it up and running on the ipad. It's is still buggy. No hulu videos but the rest of the flash on hulu site loads fine. I use perfect browser so I can change the web render to firefox or chrome. I got some games to load on armorgames.com, some would crash, and the big ones would stall. Youtube videos would start to load then give "unexpected error". All in all for a port over I'm glad I have something. Flash navigation works great.

For the people not using a mac, I think frash is on cydia now. else if you have the deb, ssh it. install it using terminal or issh app too ssh into itself which will give you a terminal or use ifile to install it. ifile is on cydia. you still need the libflashplayer.so . try THIS , you're on your own on that. just ssh that into the frash folder and good to go. I rebooted the ipad for a fresh start too.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Right - I'm working...and always was! I realised that it doesn't work properly with complex Flash games or video at the moment. Tried a web site with basic Flash and it worked fine using my compiled version - so will just keep an eye on the source. Thanks to everyone for their help.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mookest View Post
    Ok I got it up and running on the ipad. It's is still buggy. No hulu videos but the rest of the flash on hulu site loads fine. I use perfect browser so I can change the web render to firefox or chrome. I got some games to load on armorgames.com, some would crash, and the big ones would stall. Youtube videos would start to load then give "unexpected error". All in all for a port over I'm glad I have something. Flash navigation works great.

For the people not using a mac, I think frash is on cydia now. else if you have the deb, ssh it. install it using terminal or issh app too ssh into itself which will give you a terminal or use ifile to install it. ifile is on cydia. you still need the libflashplayer.so . try THIS , you're on your own on that. just ssh that into the frash folder and good to go. I rebooted the ipad for a fresh start too.
    I just checked and I can't find it in Cydia, but maybe its in a different repository (I only have the default ones). Your instructions really confuse me. Where do I ssh the .deb? How then would I install it via terminal?

Thanks for any help!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

You can ssh the deb to anywhere you please, I use /var/mobile/ then just open MobileTerminal on your iPad, you can also used the app store app called issh.
    First in terminal type su, to enter super user mode, then type dpkg -i /var/mobile/Frash.deb and it will install, after that go back and you will fine a frash folder, then just copy the libflashplayer.so file in this directory restart your ipad and perestio, you have it installed.

Thanks

Can't find the libflashplayer.so can someone post a link for us thanks.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

android flash 10.1 apk megaupload - Google Search

Second megaupload result.

Posting the link would be illegal.