+ Reply
Results 1 to 9 of 9

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: Ubuntu or Linux for Tablet.....

is a discussion within the

iPad Jailbreaking

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
The iPhone 2g and 3g can run android... ive tried it and its really cool... Android is a Linux based operating system so is Ubuntu light and all the others.
...
  1. #1
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    216
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 18 Times in 12 Posts

    Default Ubuntu or Linux for Tablet.....
    The iPhone 2g and 3g can run android... ive tried it and its really cool... Android is a Linux based operating system so is Ubuntu light and all the others. The question is if we can run Android on the 2g and 3g, why cant we run Ubuntu or any other Linux operating system on the iPad? I mean im willing to try it and go to the process, ive done it with android.... But obviously im going to need help, as first open iboot inst made for the iPad....

  2. #2
    I'm not a star Imahottguy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    MI, USA
    Posts
    2,440
    Thanks
    92
    Thanked 164 Times in 143 Posts

    The biggest issues is the bootloader. We would need to hack it so that it would accept booting into something other than iOS. Understand that this is a major hurdle that a serious ha xor/coder would have to work on. I would imagine that once a bootrom exploit is found for ipad, we will see progress made on Android for iPad. Our best bet would be Android for iPad, especially for the 3G to work. Also, once the bootrom exploit is found, iPad will be forever jailbreakable.

    Why can we not say ha xor?? No space obviously.
    Last edited by Imahottguy; 06-30-2010 at 12:36 PM.
    And it will be like a taco inside a taco within a Taco Bell that's inside a KFC that's within a mall that's inside your dream! Springboard screwy after reboot? Here is the fix

  3. #3
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    216
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 18 Times in 12 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Imahottguy View Post
    The biggest issues is the bootloader. We would need to hack it so that it would accept booting into something other than iOS. Understand that this is a major hurdle that a serious ha xor/coder would have to work on. I would imagine that once a bootrom exploit is found for ipad, we will see progress made on Android for iPad. Our best bet would be Android for iPad, especially for the 3G to work. Also, once the bootrom exploit is found, iPad will be forever jailbreakable.

    Why can we not say ha xor?? No space obviously.
    Im sure it wouldn't be that big of a problem. The iPhone runs android. Mines runs it and it runs without problem on my 3g. Havent we already found the exploit needed for the iPad as with the iPhone. I mean the iPad is already jailbroken so there is an exploit. The thing is we need open i boot on it and we dont.

  4. #4
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    216
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 18 Times in 12 Posts

    Come on wouldnt you love this?

    This is Ubuntu Light for Tablets
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Ubuntu or Linux for Tablet.....-ubuntu-light-ipad.jpg  

  5. #5
    iPhone? More like MyPhone katmeef's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Hamilton, ON
    Posts
    265
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked 19 Times in 12 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by iphone?3gs View Post
    Im sure it wouldn't be that big of a problem. The iPhone runs android. Mines runs it and it runs without problem on my 3g. Havent we already found the exploit needed for the iPad as with the iPhone. I mean the iPad is already jailbroken so there is an exploit. The thing is we need open i boot on it and we dont.
    Spirit is not a bootrom exploit so it would not provide the ability to boot into anything other than iOS. As well, Apple can patch the exploit used in Spirit in future OS updates.
    The iPhone 3g is jailbroke with a bootrom exploit (24kpwn) which provides the ability to boot into other operating systems. 24kpwn is an exploit which cannot be patched by a future OS update, but the iPad, iPhone 4, new bootrom iPhone 3GS and third gen iPod touch are not vulnerable to it.

  6. #6
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    216
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 18 Times in 12 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by katmeef View Post
    Spirit is not a bootrom exploit so it would not provide the ability to boot into anything other than iOS. As well, Apple can patch the exploit used in Spirit in future OS updates.
    The iPhone 3g is jailbroke with a bootrom exploit (24kpwn) which provides the ability to boot into other operating systems. 24kpwn is an exploit which cannot be patched by a future OS update, but the iPad, iPhone 4, new bootrom iPhone 3GS and third gen iPod touch are not vulnerable to it.
    I don't mean spirit.... There are other exploits the 24pwn is not the only one that allows it...

  7. #7
    iPhone? More like MyPhone katmeef's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Hamilton, ON
    Posts
    265
    Thanks
    14
    Thanked 19 Times in 12 Posts

    What exploit is there for iPad other than spirit presently?

  8. #8
    iPhoneaholic kmmxracer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Location
    Phoenix, AZ
    Posts
    386
    Thanks
    26
    Thanked 39 Times in 34 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by katmeef View Post
    What exploit is there for iPad other than spirit presently?
    None that we know of right now. I kinda get the feeling GeoHot has one but is holding back for some reason only he could know.

  9. #9
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    216
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 18 Times in 12 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by kmmxracer View Post
    None that we know of right now. I kinda get the feeling GeoHot has one but is holding back for some reason only he could know.
    Dont just start getting your hopes up for that, Geohot has said a lot of things, but hasnt fully done them. He probably has other things to do.... None of these people work for us.... The Dev-team dosent either, but there more dedicated to there work.... I dont care much about the jailbreak exploit and thats why im more facing towards open os and other stuff.... im more into and developing android for iphone and messing with the code...

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts