+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: True GPS Navigation on the WiFi iPad

is a discussion within the

iPad Jailbreaking

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
BTstack GPS is a new application from Matthias Ringwald which allows you to connect an external Bluetooth GPS receiver to your iPad, iPhone or iPod touch. BTstack GPS is based
    My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Default True GPS Navigation on the WiFi iPad
    BTstack GPS is a new application from Matthias Ringwald which allows you to connect an external Bluetooth GPS receiver to your iPad, iPhone or iPod touch. BTstack GPS is based on BTstack, the open-source Bluetooth stack for iPhone OS.

You can download and purchase the application from Cydia $5. A demo version is available, which will let you test whether it's compatible with your external Bluetooth GPS device, however, in order to use it with any of the AppStore navigation programs, you'll need the full version.

I've been testing it with great results on my wifi iPad paired to an old Arkon-Bluetooth-BT339-Receiver-SiRFstarIII GPS. It's working remarkably well. So far, I've tried it successfully with:

TomTom (even works native resolution with FullForce activated!)
    Copilot HD (the only native iPad navigation app at this time)
    Google maps (needs wifi, but fine if you preload enough area)
    GoKivo (needs wifi, but fine if you get the directions before you leave, and stay on course)
    MotionX GPS HD (can use offline maps, must be pre-downloaded)
    Offmaps (can use offline maps, must be pre-downloaded)

Since the GPS was really the only thing tempting me to trade my wifi iPad for a 3G model, I'm very happy about this! Kudos to the author for his hard and speedy work in getting the initial bugs worked out of BTStack GPS. It's a great addition to my iPad.

It's also unaffected by the location issues from OpenSSH being installed.

Last edited by DaveiPhone; 05-19-2010 at 07:41 PM.