+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: BTStack GPS- compatible devices

is a discussion within the

iPad Jailbreaking

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
I am wondering about buying the app mentioned in the post title. But I have concerns whether my GPS bluetooth reciever would connect to the app. Is there a list
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Question BTStack GPS- compatible devices
    I am wondering about buying the app mentioned in the post title. But I have concerns whether my GPS bluetooth reciever would connect to the app. Is there a list containing devices compatible with BTStack? I couldn't find any...

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

From my research, hardware compatibilty isn't a big issue, but software is. I've been in touch with the author of BTStack GPS, and he tells me he's close to a solution.

I've tried both BTStack GPS and RoqyBT with my wifi iPad and numerous GPS/Navigation apps and found that only a small number of apps currently work. I have an old Arkon-Bluetooth-BT339-Receiver-SiRFstarIII GPS that paired just fine with both RoqyBT and BTstack GPS. Here are the results so far:

TomTom - both fail to be acknowledged
    Google Maps - both work, but of course the map can't update while moving, so pretty useless except for short trips
    Motion GPS - both fail to be acknowledged
    Copilot HD- RoqyBT gets the initial location fine, but doesn't update unless you quick and relaunch the app. BTstack doesn't get the location at all.
    Mobile Maps North America - works with both, but is a pretty crappy program
    GoKivo - works great with both, but gets the directions/maps from the internet. I did successfully preload a trip, and it cached the whole thing, and gave accurate voice prompts. Of course as soon as I veered off course, it was useless, since it couldn't update. For fun, I tethered to my iPhone, and it was able to update on the fly.

I've heard:
    NDrive - supposedly works fine, but isn't available for the USA
    Navigon - supposedly works sortof, but has screen update issues on the iPad.

Bottom line, this isn't terribly useful yet, but it's got a lot of potential.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to DaveiPhone For This Useful Post:

kacper1703 (05-15-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thanks for the info Could you please check if it works with OffMaps? For me it's only alternative, since I don't have an iPhone to tether with.

Thanks

kacper1703,

I just received a private update for BTStack GPS (which should be available on Cydia soon), and while it doesn't yet work with TomTom or CoPilot properly, it does work partially with them now.

The good news is that it's working great with OffMaps and MotionX GPS HD, both of which are very inexpensive programs that let you download and store map data to the iPad in advance.

This is a big step and I believe the author will continue his efforts to get most of the navigation apps to work.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to DaveiPhone For This Useful Post:

kacper1703 (05-16-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thank you very much. Thread can be closed.

Thanks

I'd love to see something pull the GPS signal from my iPhone to my iPad, I think that'd be nifty.
    Photographer - ASYLUM(nsfw)

Thanks

I doubt that will happen, but the BTStack GPS is working great now with external devices now.

True GPS Navigation on the WiFi iPad

Thanks

Why do you doubt that would happen? I'm not an expert... obviously. But the iPhone seems like its more capable than a random GPS device.. so why wouldn't it be able to transmit it's gps coordinates over bluetooth?
    Photographer - ASYLUM(nsfw)

Thanks

It's not that I think it's technically impossible. However, given the battery power my iPhone sucks down while using GPS navigation, it seems impractical.