Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: You can use the camera kit to use external usb drives and sd cards without work around

Also, you need to insert the thumb drive and dismiss the compatibility message before you launch iFile or yxFlash

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

I'm not receiving any type of error message, but the mount1 folder has only displayed once, is there a setting or anything that I may be missing, does ifile have to be the registered version to access the file? The one time it did display and I clicked it I was able to see all files, pics, and videos on the thumb drive, but even the .mp4 video was very choppy and froze up.

Any guidance would be appreciated.

Thanks

Great find, works perfectly!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    has anyone got the camera kit working for the iphone 4? i've heard that it doesn't work on the iphone 4...... i would LOVE to stab a sd card full of music/movies and such.... apps are so darn big these days. - rage HD is 1.1gb! only got 16gb so yeah...

can anyone confirm if the new redsn0w JB BETA enables power over usb?

Will it work on my 4.2.1 redsnow jailbroken? Thanks!!!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 51N7 View Post
    can anyone confirm if the new redsn0w JB BETA enables power over usb?
    Wait for the stable release (makes sense to wait)

Quote Originally Posted by dcyuen View Post
    Will it work on my 4.2.1 redsnow jailbroken? Thanks!!!
    if you install the app iFile (from Cydia) it will work on anything
    If I've helped you remember to say

Thanks. I will try with "non-LED" USB thumb drive and also SD card later.

Camera kit -> can you take a picture of which one have you tested? Because there are so many fake one on eBay so I want to make sure thanks a lot!

500gb external hard drive -> what is your recommendation? (self-power)

Hey guys,

I bought a 5in1 connect kit online, the SD card and flash thumb drive works great, makes it perfect. However, I couldn't get my seagate 1.5TB external driver to be recognized in ifiles. The led flashes as soon as i plugged it in but the drives not showing in files so I'm not sure why.

SD card:
    There are different types such as NORMAL, ULTRA and EXTREME. Since I will be in & out lots of stuff pretty often so how's their transfer speed working with the iPad? Any significant differences? Thanks lot!

dcyuen:

The Seagate external drive needs more power than the iPad can provide, so without an external power source, it won't work. Can you confirm that you are running jailbroken iOS 4.2.1 and that a USB flash drive works without an error message with this adapter? That would be good news. I've been able to get them to work with an additional non-powered hub in the chain, but it would be nice to have 1 less item and cable to monkey with.

Thanks for the reply Dave. Here's some details, am currently running 4.2.1. The following tested with the 5in1 Connect kit (no error message when CCK plugged it!)

Success - SD CARD: Kingmax (8gb), ScanDisk (16gb)
    Success - THUMB DRIVE: any size
    Fail - External hard drive: 3.5 Western Digital (1.5Tgb) from bestbuy

So yeah, my only un-satification is not getting the western digital working yet

Thanks

13. The Following User Says Thank You to dcyuen For This Useful Post:

DaveiPhone (01-11-2011)

Thanks dcyuen. It's interesting that that connection kit allows a USB thumb drive without error, unlike the official Apple kit. I'm hoping that it may also allow audio interfaces to work again under 4.2.1 without having to insert a hub in the middle of the chain. I'd like to order one, but it seems there are 2 or 3 different varieties out there. Do you have a link or a photo of the one you are using?

Thanks

Is this applicable to iPhone 4?

No, the Camera Connection Kit only works with the iPad, at least for now.

This is what i'm using, 5 in 1 connect kit
    http://www.365digitalonline.com/365digital/738-2.jpg

Will it work on iphone4 4.2.1 -> Nope
    Will it work with WD 1.5Tgb external drive? -> I couldn't get it working, anyone please advice

Peace

Thanks dcyuen,

As for the external HD, I think the only chance to get that to work is to supply it with it's own power source or run it into a powered USB hub.

why wouldn't it work... ;( it powered up too
    http://www.itdevice.com.au/live/imag...ments_BAAU.jpg

sucks

Check the specs, but I'd be very surprised if that drive doesn't need more than 100ma, which is the max the iPad will provide, even under iOS 3.2. Most Desktop computers provide 500ma.

But I see the drive does have a port for an external power supply. That should do the trick.
    Last edited by DaveiPhone; 01-14-2011 at 02:27 PM.

Oh yeah, i probably forgot to toggle back to USB mode on the connect kit. I'll give it a try again later.

Bad news, sorry forgot to mention not all USB thumb drive works. I tested with a couple ones "without any LED!" then it works.

Good luck and share your expereince

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast