Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Issues with location services after JailBreaking Wifi IPAD?

Here's a temporary solution I came up with that's working OK for now...a bit of a pain, but better (for me) than having to choose between SSH and Location Services.

1) Be sure the latest SBSettings is installed (from beta repo).
    2) Turn on SSH if it's off
    3) Open Terminal and SSH into your iPad
    4) In Terminal, enter: launchctl unload -w /Library/LaunchDaemons/com.openssh.sshd.plist
    5) Reboot your iPad

At this point, Location Services should work, and SSH should be off. Test them both to be sure.

Now, use SBSettings to turn on SSH. That should work, and Location services should still be working too, however, if you reboot, you'll have to repeat those steps.

Respringing should have no effect on either service.

---------

EDIT: Here's another, somewhat simpler fix:

1) Open Terminal and SSH into your iPad
    2) In Terminal, enter: launchctl unload /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.locationd.plist
    3) Wait a second, then in Terminal, enter: launchctl load /System/Library/LaunchDaemons/com.apple.locationd.plist

That should make Location Services start working too. Interestingly, toggling them on and off in the Settings app or with SBSettings does NOT work.
    Last edited by DaveiPhone; 05-06-2010 at 07:07 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to DaveiPhone For This Useful Post:

leonowski (05-06-2010)

Thanks DaveiPhone - this works great. After this, I installed xGPS on the iPad and it works great! woo hoo!

Not working 4 me on iPad wifi
    In Costa Rica Beaches w/ my unix box.

iPhone? More like MyPhone apummell's Avatar
    Thanks

I have the same problem but if I remove all apps from cydia including ssh and sb settings location services still will not work , any one else
    ???
    P.S I have rebooted more than once and tried the above fix?!
    Last edited by apummell; 05-08-2010 at 10:52 PM.

DaveiPhone's fix worked perfectly, but after rebooting it is no longer effective. Is it possible that this will be fixed once and for all with an update?

Both the workarounds that I posted above work 100% of the time, when the cause is OpenSSH. If you haven't installed that, then there certainly could be other as yet undiscovered causes.

Also, remember that the bottom solution requires a pause before issueing the second command. If you do it too quickly location services won't have a chance to unload and thus be reset.

These are only workarounds, and must be repeated each time you reboot. If that's too much trouble for you, then uninstalling OpenSSH is the only current solution. Hopefully a real fix will come soon!

Im Going to try to write a sricpt that will execute that command on each reboot.

That Should solve having to do it each time.

I have a dumb question regarding iSSH... is there any way to paste into it? When doing code from someone else, I prefer to copy and paste it in, so I don't make mistakes.
    Photographer - ASYLUM(nsfw)

Quote Originally Posted by brokentwice View Post
    Im Going to try to write a sricpt that will execute that command on each reboot.

That Should solve having to do it each time.
    Waiting for this.... =)

Thanks

Anyone ever find an other solution for this issue?

Looks like there are two situations here, and one of them is getting lost in the 'me too' noise:

1) you have a jailbroke iPad with openssh installed and location services isn't working
    2) you have a jailbroke iPad WITHOUT openssh installed and location services isn't working

It seems there may be a solution for folks in situation Number 1.
    What about those in Number 2?

I'm in the second group so i can't unload the openssh service as it isn't loaded!

I'm going to try to load it, then follow the solution to unload it. I'm hoping that, as crazy as that sounds, it works.
    I'll post back after I try.

Hey I was having the same problem (mine is because of the open ssh) but since the ipad can not use the mobile terminal i decided to try using the iSSH app from the app store for running the two command lines as stated earlier it works but does still go away when you do a reboot but just thought i would share that it does work i just tested it (respiring wont affect it but a reboot will then you'll just have to reenter it again hope this helps someone n some way

Default Fix on Cydia
    I have released a Cydia package that fixes the location services issue caused by the Spirit jailbreak.

1. In Cydia, add the source http://cydia.pushfix.info/

2. Install the package "iPad Location Services Fix"

That's it. It restarts locationd on install and on every boot after the SpringBoard finishes loading. You should have no more problems with location services after install.

15. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Pushfix For This Useful Post:

DaveiPhone (05-20-2010), leonowski (05-20-2010), ninthchamber99 (05-22-2010)

Thanks Pushfix,

That did the trick nicely!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Pushfix View Post
    I have released a Cydia package that fixes the location services issue caused by the Spirit jailbreak.

1. In Cydia, add the source Cydia.pushfix.info

That's it. It restarts locationd on install and on every boot after the SpringBoard finishes loading. You should have no more problems with location services after install.
    Didnt work for me!!!! i think its not just ssh causing this on all pads.

Quote Originally Posted by apummell View Post
    Didnt work for me!!!! i think its not just ssh causing this on all pads.
    If it doesn't work, your problem is probably not the one caused by Spirit/SSH.

What do you get when you run the Maps application after reboot with the location fix installed? Is it giving you the same error as everyone else : "Your location could not be determined." ?

Thanks

If it doesn't work, your problem is probably not the one caused by Spirit/SSH.

What do you get when you run the Maps application after reboot with the location fix installed? Is it giving you the same error as everyone else : "Your location could not be determined." ?
    yup exactly!

Anyone else having problems adding that repo? Keeps telling me it's not valid.

edit: cut and pasted from somewhere else and it worked fine. THe fix works fine as well
    Last edited by brokentwice; 05-21-2010 at 02:23 AM.

1. In Cydia, add the source Cydia.pushfix.info

Didn't work for me either ... I don't have installed SSH.

Situation 1.

Pushfix took care of the location services issue.

Any idea on the wifi bars other than uninstall SSH?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast