Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPad pin put for extra power

Default iPad pin put for extra power
    I am installing an iPad mini in my car a touch screen interface. The backend is ford sync. Everything is working pretty well so far. The only problem is the power limitation of the usb port. I was thinking about getting the lightning to 30 pin adapter and modifying a 30 pin cable. I see that a pin out diagram shows 2 12v+ pins but they are labeled for FireWire. If I wired a switched 12v+ cable from the car to the those pins would that provide enough power to charge?

Thanks for any help. I'll try to draw a diagram of what I'm trying to say.
    "Carpe iPhone"-"Seize the iPhone"-Steve's Roman Ancestors

Quote Originally Posted by CAPcadetJC View Post
    I am installing an iPad mini in my car a touch screen interface. The backend is ford sync. Everything is working pretty well so far. The only problem is the power limitation of the usb port. I was thinking about getting the lightning to 30 pin adapter and modifying a 30 pin cable. I see that a pin out diagram shows 2 12v+ pins but they are labeled for FireWire. If I wired a switched 12v+ cable from the car to the those pins would that provide enough power to charge?

Thanks for any help. I'll try to draw a diagram of what I'm trying to say.
    Had to sign up to post on this, please DO NOT wire the connector to push 12V to the ipad. overvolting a circuit could cause huge damage to the device if it is not rated for it. What you may want to do if the usb port is not able to handle charging the ipad, is increase the current in the wire, this can be done by insuring the usb port supplies at least 1-2A of current. The device will only pull the amount of current it requires.