Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How do I permanently brick an iPad?

Default How do I permanently brick an iPad?
    I have a gen one iPad that is collecting dust. Since it won't take iOS6 I want to brick it permanently. How can I do it?

Thanks
    Thanked 9,923 Times in 6,058 Posts

Why in the world would you want to do that? Donate it to a school or charity, something.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,065 Times in 4,206 Posts

Agee with Bo. I'll take it if ya gonna destroy it. Make some money off of it instead of destroying it.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,051 Times in 621 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Criss View Post
    I have a gen one iPad that is collecting dust. Since it won't take iOS6 I want to brick it permanently. How can I do it?

Thanks
    Thanked 7,065 Times in 4,206 Posts

I hear that Simon

Thanks

why would u want IOS 6 on an iPad 1 any way, it's a great iPad I got one and I got an iPad 3 the iPad 1 I actually downgraded to 4.3 and it feels like a new iPad the battery is back to 10 hours easy and it's much faster now, Every device runs the best with the IOS That it came with.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    Must not have kids
    You are correct I do not have kids, I'm also independently wealthy and any other completely off topic comment you can think of making. (I'm really not independently wealthy, I just wanted to drive home the point that what you said has no valuable contribution to the topic along with most of the other comments here).

Now on to the real story...

Yes I want to brick the pad, it shouldn't matter why to any of you, or why I don't donate it. However, if you all must know... I've had it since launch day. It was given to me by my employer, who will not upgrade a functioning iPad to a newer model. So to avoid having to buying my own personal pad which will get used primarily for work and occasionally for personal, I'd rather just brick this one, hand it back in, and ask for a new model. Does this help everyone understand why I or anyone else would want to brick a pad instead of donating it to a good cause or giving it to a family member, or downgrading it and keeping it for better battery life, or any other reason? If not, just back away from the keyboard because you have no useful comments for this topic.

Thanks

Truth, when I first read your post, 2 things came to mind;
    1; This guy is really ticked off at his iPad...
    2; This guy wants us to help him scam someone (perhaps Apple) so he can get a new iPad.

Turns out, I was close with my second conclusion. Having a sense of "doing the right thing" I could not and will not assist you in any way, sorry. Just the way I feel about this type of thing.
    Not necessarily judging you, but take it for what it's worth.
    Good luck.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to blkcadi For This Useful Post:

nik1975 (09-24-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 15,326 Times in 7,030 Posts

I thought it was on topic. If you had kids you could give it to them. Makes sense to me.
    As for your real reasoning I'm with Blkcadi. We won't help you with what pretty much equates to a scam.
    So I suggest you back away from our forum and don't come back with the attitude or scam attempts.
    Mmkay? Thanks

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Simon For This Useful Post:

nik1975 (09-24-2012)

Quote Originally Posted by blkcadi View Post
    Truth, when I first read your post, 2 things came to mind;
    1; This guy is really ticked off at his iPad...
    2; This guy wants us to help him scam someone (perhaps Apple) so he can get a new iPad.

Turns out, I was close with my second conclusion. Having a sense of "doing the right thing" I could not and will not assist you in any way, sorry. Just the way I feel about this type of thing.
    Not necessarily judging you, but take it for what it's worth.
    Good luck.
    I can completely understand your point of view. And 99% of the time I am a "do the right thing" type of person. I was completely blown away when I was told upgrades did not exist and the only way I was replacing an existing iPad was if it was broken. I guess it would make too much sense to upgrade mine and hand mine down to a newer employee...

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Criss For This Useful Post:

nik1975 (09-24-2012)

Thanks

^ now that makes sense, awesome.

Pick up and drop on floor... Repeat if needed sorry I had 2

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Broomhead View Post
    Pick up and drop on floor... Repeat if needed sorry I had 2
    Dang, why didn't we think of that.

I thought it was on topic. If you had kids you could give it to them. Makes sense to me.
    As for your real reasoning I'm with Blkcadi. We won't help you with what pretty much equates to a scam.
    So I suggest you back away from our forum and don't come back with the attitude or scam attempts.
    Mmkay? Thanks
    The attitude was warranted. Remember you were the one with the snippy comment about "must not have kids". That remark is about as useful as a torch in a container full of gasoline. What I am trying to do is not a scam - while you may perceive it to be. I would love to hand this thing off to someone on our field support staff or help desk, but it just doesn't work that way. (Welcome to government employment, they don't always apply logic).

How about actually contributing to the post or posting a single time with why you'd rather not help out instead of making sarcastic remarks?

Mmmmkay, thanks.

Thanks Blkcadi for actually being civil and not feeling the need to flex your mod fist. Your comments were actually of substance.

Thanks

Ok, fun over.
    You basically have two options I can think of, one has already been mentioned.
    1: Drop it so the screen breaks/cracks (as Brooms already mentioned)
    2: Restore it in itunes and half way through the restore yank the cord. It will leave you in recovery. Probably wont be permanently bricked but may work for you.

There is no real perma-brick method for idevices these days, most of the time a restore can fix what would otherwise be considered bricked.

Ok, fun over.
    You basically have two options I can think of, one has already been mentioned.
    1: Drop it so the screen breaks/cracks (as Brooms already mentioned)
    2: Restore it in itunes and half way through the restore yank the cord. It will leave you in recovery. Probably wont be permanently bricked but may work for you.

There is no real perma-brick method for idevices these days, most of the time a restore can fix what would otherwise be considered bricked.

Yeah 2 is where I've been before. People know I'm too smart to just leave it at that and not fix it. That's why I was looking for a sure fire brick. I don't want to crack the screen as that will be physical damage making me responsible for the cost of replacement, whereas bricking it can say software died, etc. Thanks for the ideas though.

Thanks

I would probably be able to brick a 3GS software wise by choosing the wrong bootrom with redsnow when jailbreaking. That leaves your phone in a place where only a battery removal will allow a successful restore. Not sure if something similar method could be used for an iPad though.

Thanks

Oh wow, thought this was over. Guess not huh.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast