Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How to repair ipad 2 to make the Glass sit flush?

Default How to repair ipad 2 to make the Glass sit flush?
    Today I'm repairing my first IPad 2 on my own for a huge clientele of mine and I'm worried I might not repair it perfectly. I was wondering if you can give me some tips and insight on how to repair the iPad 2 properly. I'm confident i can repair most of the ipad, but my main concern is getting the IPad glass to sit flush. I saw in some pictures you have to use clamps to hold it down? do you use a certain type of adhesive? and tips about the cables inside and how to avoid damage. Any Advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

I'm doing the same thing tomorrow for my first time
    If it can help you, I made a printable full scale template from pictures I collected from ifixit.com that shows exactly where all the flex cables are
    I will post it tomorrow

One thing I was thinking about is: why in all the videos I have seen nobody uses a suction cup to start the digitizer removal?

Hi, I did it yesterday; it took something like 2 hours to remove the old digitizer
    -imageuploadedbymodmyi1354386724.673356.jpg

Then I put the new screen and while trying to make it sit flush; crack! it broke in the same position as the old one

The aluminum frame was slightly deformed, so pushing the glass in position caused it to crack again

I have to buy a new digitizer and this time I do have to widen that part of the housing before attempting to install a new glass

Also my spare digitizer appeared to have a more long flex cable than the original one so it was tricky to hide it somewhere between the LCD and the housing

My iPhone is a Part of Me iRevival's Avatar
    Thanks

You have to bend the aluminum frame back as much as possible into the original shape before installing the new glass. I have even just broken off the bent piece and put them back together like that too. If you don't do this you can break the new digitizer during install or it will never sit flush and break pretty easily afterwards anyway.
    Twitter: @irevivalrepairs | Instagram: @irevivalrepairs

iPhone 4/4S Frame Swappers:
    Don't forget about that sim tray lever!
    iPhone 5 Frame Swappers:
    Don't forget about those screen clips!

I may also suggest never to touch the lcd, always using latex gloves and using a lot of clothes pegs all around the border to make the new digitizer sit flush