+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPad 2 has lost its ability to sync via USB, plz HELP

is a discussion within the

iPad Hardware

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
My iPad 2 has lost its ability to sync via USB. It is not recognized by my mac when the cable is plugged in and I have been stuck with
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Question iPad 2 has lost its ability to sync via USB, plz HELP
    My iPad 2 has lost its ability to sync via USB. It is not recognized by my mac when the cable is plugged in and I have been stuck with iOS 4.3.3 So I can't use the iCloud feature to save my data. Apple just wants to give me a new one, but I will lose all data on it. I would like to use a program like PhoneView or DiskAid to download all my notes and application data off of the iPad before returning it to them. Or let iTunes back it up so I may just restore to a new one. If im not able to do any of the above, I can DL the individual files via iFile using the server option. But I figure if I can connect to my iPad via iFile, there has to be an app or a patch where I can connect via Wi-Fi vs. USB. If I have to do it via iFile, are there any guides that give the locations of where the files I want reside on the iPad?

Thanks
    Brian

java.lang.IllegalStateException: Location unknown.
    Thanks

I'm just going to say this, have you tried a different USB cord? The one you have could be bad. You could also try using another computer, yours may have a bad USB port.
    Great minds discuss ideas.
    Average minds discuss events.
    Small minds discuss people.

Green Apple
    Thanks

haha. Yes, I good question, I know there are allot of ignorant folks that might make a mistake like that.

so, I tried.
    Multiple cables
    different USB Ports
    3 different macs
    +the apple store tried their cord and mac
    I blew compressed air in it to make sure the connections were clean
    slapped it a few times
    reset, restart, etc

Even uninstalled a few Cydia programs that I thought might mess with that. One being an app that would let you continue to work on your iPad as it syncs. Are there any processes that could of gotten messed up by something like that? Is there anyway to reset or any files I could replace on the iPad that control the USB connection process that might of been corrupted?

Thanks

I'd say it's corrupted. Could be a bad dock connector. You're most likely still under warranty, you could just take it back to the Apple store and explain what's going on. Try putting it in DFU mode for a minute and plug it into iTunes and see what happens. I'd say it's probably a bad dock though.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Back in the day, I used jailbreak me.com and it worked fine. but I see there was an update for it that I can't find. Could this be a source of my problems? What about re-jailbreaking with something new? If so, what should I try? Thanks

Thanks

I doubt it's JailbreakMe, I loved that jailbreak (It was honestly flawless) they don't do updates for it, they just used to update it for newer OS. I honestly doubt it's your problem though. If you did want to jailbreak though, just update to 5.1.1 and use Absinthe or Redsn0w.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by H4CK3R View Post
    I'd say it's corrupted. Could be a bad dock connector. You're most likely still under warranty, you could just take it back to the Apple store and explain what's going on. Try putting it in DFU mode for a minute and plug it into iTunes and see what happens. I'd say it's probably a bad dock though.
    Wow, in DFU mode iTune recognizes it. But will only let me restore it, I can't backup the data on it or use a program like PhoneView go grab my stuff off of it. So this means the connector isn't bad. So there has to be a way to get it to work. Maybe an older version of iTunes??? Ideas????

Thanks

iTunes Definetly isn't the problem, Do you have iCloud on it? You could just back it up to that.

Green Apple
    Thanks

nope, still on iOS 4.3.3, no iCloud

My iPhone is a Part of Me keenpois0n's Avatar
    Thanks

dude update to 5.1.1

Thanks

Well then if you don't have iCloud there's nothing you can really do.... You're gonna have to restore -_-