Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: New iPad 3 Screen Repair Guide

Post New iPad 3 Screen Repair Guide
    Planning on making repairs to your iPad 3? This take apart guide will walk you through all the required steps to replace a damaged touch screen, LCD screen, or other internal parts.

This guide will help you to install the following New iPad 3 parts:
    • New iPad 3 Touch Screen Glass Digitizer - Black
    • New iPad 3 Touch Screen Glass Digitizer - White
    • New iPad 3 LCD Display Screen
    • Other New iPad 3 Parts and Accessories

Tools Required:
    • Safe Open Pry Tools
    • Small Phillips Screwdriver
    • iPad Opening Tool
    • Heat Gun/Hair Dryer

Required Steps for Screen Repair:

• Begin by using a heat gun or hair dryer on a medium setting and warm the adhesive around the outside edges of the touch screen. This should take around 45-60 seconds to warm the adhesive.
    • Using an iPad opening tool, gently insert the edge into a corner of the tablet. Gently glide the tool along the edge, releasing the adhesive. You will need to reheat the screen several times to keep the adhesive warm while removing the touch screen.
    • This is a long process that should not be rushed. Take your time and work around all edges of the device until you can finally lift the digitizer. The digitizer flex cable will be located in the bottom left of the iPad as show in Orange in Figure 1. Be cautious of this and swing the digitizer to the left to avoid damaging the flex cable.

-ipad3-1a.jpg
    Figure 1

• With the iPad open, use a small Phillips screwdriver to remove the 4 screws as shown in the image.

-ipad3-2a.jpg
    Figure 2
    • Carefully swing the LCD screen up and to the left. Carefully lay it on top of the touch screen.
    • We now have access to both the LCD screen flex cable and the touch screen digitizer flex cable.

-ipad3-3a.jpg
    Figure 3

• If replacing the LCD screen, carefully lift the flex cable to release the adhesive holding the cable to the housing. Follow the cable connector. It will be the top orange circle on Figure 3.
    • Lift the tab located on the battery side of the connector using a safe open pry tool. With the lock opened, gently remove the old cable from the connection.
    • The LCD can now be replaced.
    • If replacing the touch screen digitizer, follow the LCD flex cable and lift the adhesive holding the cable to the housing. Carefully move the LCD screen out of the way of the touch screen flex cable. You can now follow the touch screen digitizers flex cable to its connector. This will be the lower orange circle in Figure 3. This will have two latches that need to be lifted.
    • Now, lift the adhesive holding the touch screen digitizer flex cable in place. With the latches open, the flex cable can easily slide out of the connector.
    • The touch screen digitizer can now be replaced.

Simply reverse these instructions to reassemble your iPad 3.
    Paul Weatherley
    Repair Technician

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to repairs universe For This Useful Post:

blkcadi (04-11-2012), Spiteful (07-20-2012)

Thanks
    Thanked 10,188 Times in 6,204 Posts

Nice tutorial, thanks

Quote Originally Posted by blkcadi View Post
    Nice tutorial, thanks
    Thanks, glad you found it useful!
    Paul Weatherley
    Repair Technician

Very helpful and clear tutorial. Thanks for sharing!
    Last edited by Benson11; 04-15-2012 at 10:23 AM.

Livin the iPhone Life Bluemoldycheeze88's Avatar
    Thanks

Is it just a regular small Phillips screwdriver that is required?

This is correct
    Paul Weatherley
    Repair Technician

While detaching my digitizer, one of the Latches attached to the connector broke off. My question: does this mean the motherboard will need to be replaced? Would it function properly with just one latch after I put it back together? Any advice is greatly appreciated

If you can place this latch back into place then it is possible that it will work. If the connectors are too damaged then you will need to replace the motherboard.
    Paul Weatherley
    Repair Technician

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iswag View Post
    While detaching my digitizer, one of the Latches attached to the connector broke off. My question: does this mean the motherboard will need to be replaced? Would it function properly with just one latch after I put it back together? Any advice is greatly appreciated
    If you still need this doing, we can accomplish this for you

iPad 3 Repairs @ Repairs UK
    Got a problem ModMyi can't help with ? ie Hardware trouble then check us out Mobile Phone Repairs UK

iPad 3 Screen Repair Guide! Hey, you definitely covered the basics of the repair. Nice work! I recently finished a very high quality screen repair video for the iPad 3. And in the next week I will be releasing a step by step version of the guide (A lot like this one) But this guide will be extensive, full of pictures and demonstrations. Check out the video guide here!

If you like it, share it or leave me a comment.

iPad 3 Screen Repair Guide - The Ultimate Guide *Coming Soon*
    iPad 3 Screen Repair Video - The Ultimate Guide

Nice tutorial, thanks for sharing it here, I just ran through a guide thatís almost a same but I found their guide more clear and detail, also easily explicable. Check out the video guide here! iPad 3 Screen Repair Guide - YouTube