Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: 1st Generation iPad Camera

Default 1st Generation iPad Camera
    : I noticed something that looks like a camera lens on my 1st gen iPad. With the screen off, a red round lens can be seen. If this is the camera, how can I access it?

It is the ambient light sensor. When u have the auto brightness feature turned on that is the sensor that is used to determine if the screen needs to be brighter or dimmer depending on if it is bright in the room/outside or if it is dark.

It is not a camera.

Quote Originally Posted by scottw03 View Post
    It is the ambient light sensor. When u have the auto brightness feature turned on that is the sensor that is used to determine if the screen needs to be brighter or dimmer depending on if it is bright in the room/outside or if it is dark.

It is not a camera.
    Thank you scottw03! I had my hopes up, but, OH WELL!! I remember when the 1st iPhone was released the camera was already built into the device and it wasn't until it was first jailbroken that it was discovered. I was hoping that the same would be true for the 1st gen iPad.

I recently switched cell phone providers to get the iPhone 4S because I liked my iPad so much, but I have to admit, I miss my EVO (although I REFUSE to return to Sprint as a customer!). So the iPad makes up for the things that I don't like about the iPhone 4S.

After I posted this thread, I found an app that will allow the iPad to use the camera on the iPhone. It's called "Camera for iPad." The app has to be dl'ed onto both devices, but it works amazingly well! It will even save the pictures (or videos) to both devices at the same time. My 2 nieces used it yesterday to play a joke on my sister (their mother). One of them kept my iPad with them in one room of the house while the other one discretely carried the cell phone with her to another part of the house and asked my ssiter various questions "in confidence." My other niece on the the other side of the house watched and listened to the entire conversationon on the iPad... CLEARLY...and then later used the "confidential" info against my sis, who was shocked about how my niece knew what they were talkikng about.. anyway... it was quite entertaining and I've discovered a new reason to keep my iPhone and love my iPad even more!

Thanks again!!!