+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: AT&T SMS on iPad 2 Wifi

is a discussion within the

iPad Apps

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
Good Afternoon All - I just got a shiny, new iPad 2 Wifi 32gb - Whoo Hoo! Anyways, I've already set up "MyWi On Demand" which is a great app.
    Green Apple
    Thanks

Default AT&T SMS on iPad 2 Wifi
    Good Afternoon All -

I just got a shiny, new iPad 2 Wifi 32gb - Whoo Hoo!

Anyways, I've already set up "MyWi On Demand" which is a great app. The thing I'm trying to do now is find an app (Cydia app more than likely) which will allow me to send SMS messages on my iPad from my iPhone's AT&T number.

Since it's similar to On Demand, I thought there may be one. I have tried and used Cydia app which integrates my GMail SMS, but want to to be sent from my AT&T number. I've also tried using my WifiSMS (installed on iPhone) by accessing it on Safari on my iPad, but no luck.

Any suggestions? Thanks!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

i would like info on this as well. sometimes i am on my iPad2 (wifi) in the living room and hear my iPhone 4 sms alert chime. i have to get up and walk over to the phone. would be nice to just have it show on my iPad 2 aswell. also sending new SMS/MMS would be nice and not limited to receiving only. not too sure whats out there.

maybe someone can chime in?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

SMS works just like email, you just need to find the SMS gateway. Look for List of SMS Gateways on Wikipedia, and find the carrier of the person your trying to message and copy the SMS gateway. This probably sounds way more complex than it is, lemme try an example....

The SMS gateway for att in the us is SMS.att.net (mms.att.net for mms) so to send an SMS you just send an email to [email protected], replacing phone number with their ten digit number (no 1, just the area code then phone number). It's that easy. Some carriers have different gateways for mms and SMS, I've only ever used it to email myself wallpapers and ringtones back before phones were computers.

This doesn't allow you to send from your number though, and you can't receive th rough your number either, but still allows sending and receiving texts on the iPad, since it works backward and they can "text" your email address.
    Last edited by v1nsai; 09-05-2011 at 11:40 PM.

Thanks

Here's your answer: "TextNow" works awesome!

Thanks

i think everyone is going away from the question at hand...

with your WIFI iPad 2... can you text someone using your iPhone's phone number. simple as that. its a yes or no. i dont think we can unless JB has something avaliable to trick the program or just enter your iPhone number and it installs there too or something. i dont know.

Thanks

Tha5150: see my reply, textnow is the name of the app to text anyone free on ipad. It even gives u a phone number and email to text to.

Thanks

but it "gives you a number"

i am wanting to use my iphones phone number so that if i get a text on my iphone, it goes to the ipad, same the opposite way. if i am working on my ipad and someone text to my iphone, i want to be able to respond on the ipad.

Thanks

Ohh, I see. That's going to be impossible because your phone number is connected to your service (sim). Unless you're able to make a copy of the sim and put it in the iPad (given it's 3G capable). And even then AT&T would see you're using 2 sim cards and probably shut you off. If you find a way, let us know.

iPhone? More like MyPhone scottw03's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by RRoD420 View Post
    Ohh, I see. That's going to be impossible because your phone number is connected to your service (sim). Unless you're able to make a copy of the sim and put it in the iPad (given it's 3G capable). And even then AT&T would see you're using 2 sim cards and probably shut you off. If you find a way, let us know.
    you are probably going to have to wait until iOS firmware 5.X come out so that you can use iMessage. Supposedly you would be able to send a message on one device and pick it up on another registered probably to the same itunes account.

TextNow is probably your best bet at the moment. While it isn't the same phone number as your cell, it works across the board for your iphone and your ipad. I have it on my iphone 4 and ipad 2 and will get the same text on both devices. I respond on the one I feel like. Now I don't use Textnow as often as the default iphone text app (using my AT&T number) but that is because I use bitesms for quick replies and notificiations and that doesn't integrate into the TextNow app. But it is still a handy texting app to have. I mostly use it when I go out of the country and I want to text my wife, family, or friends and don't feel like using the small keyboard on the iphone.

If you find something though, hit me up in a PM. Pretty much in the same boat and would love to know a solution.

Oh and if you are using the emailing option to send text messages from the wifi ipad it is [email protected] or [email protected].

The [email protected] does not work.

The @txt.att.net works better though if you are only sending text information. I tried emailing a picture using the @mms.att.net and it doesn't appear to go through. Only if you send text does the @mms.att.net seem to work. I also use this option when I am overseas and do not have access to wifi for my iphone or ipad. If I am at a computer though I can send the text using my gmail account.

Just FYI.
    Last edited by scottw03; 09-11-2011 at 11:42 AM.

Thanks

Desk SMS - forwards txt messages to gmail & google chat. Cydia.