+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Using VNC/Remote Desktop apps via tethering

is a discussion within the

iPad Apps

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
I have been able to get RDP lite setup via wifi with no issues, but when I try to connect while tethered via 3g, it wont let me connect. Has
    My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Default Using VNC/Remote Desktop apps via tethering
    I have been able to get RDP lite setup via wifi with no issues, but when I try to connect while tethered via 3g, it wont let me connect. Has anyone gotten any of these apps to work while being tethered? thanks.
    Last edited by jayteez; 04-27-2010 at 12:12 PM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

How are you tethering? If you are using mywi that is wifi.

I use itap rdp seamlessly after launching mywi and going over 3G

What app are you using? Are you going 3389 over the Internet?

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

yes, tethering through my 3gs using mywi and using port 3389. it works via my home wifi but not through the 3g connection using mywi.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Are u trying to RDP to the same node? Is it a node of yours behind a router?

If it's the same node - you are probably trying to get to it's private IP through mywi

If that's the case you'll have to get the public ip and forward 3389 through ur router...

If you know all that sorry just tryin to help

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by annihil8tion View Post
    Are u trying to RDP to the same node? Is it a node of yours behind a router?

If it's the same node - you are probably trying to get to it's private IP through mywi

If that's the case you'll have to get the public ip and forward 3389 through ur router...

If you know all that sorry just tryin to help

I agree, It works at home because you are on the same lan/vlan.

When you connect via 3G its like your on a totaly different network, therefor coming in thru the WAN side of your home router. And that is going to have a different set of policys..

you can do one of two things...

1.) setup port forwarding.. Forward 3389 to the IP of the host machine you are RDP'ing to.

2.) Set the I.P of said host machine to the DMZ feild of your router. I dont rec this due to that system having no type of protection.

Short n sweet... Port forward that beatch.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Not sure if this helps....
    Hi, YES it is possible. Check this out, I am running Windows 7 x32, I was able to do it flawlessly through my Thunderbolt, Log me in also works. This is basically on a computer that is connected through wifi via my phone; and running the vnc app on my phone. It worked until yesterday when my computer was shut down prematurely. So, the computer ran a restore point it seems (I wasn't there for this part, it just seems like it did), now it doesn't work at all.

When connected to my phone's wifi, the computer gets assigned 192.168.2.3. It seems that its always connecting to my phone using this IP as it is the only device connected to it. I also set the port for 5901, which really doesn't matter. I am going to re-install it tomorrow when I get some time, so far as far as troubleshooting, I have only switched the port back to the default 5900, which did not make a difference.