Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Hands-Free Calling Finally Here for iPad?

Default Hands-Free Calling Finally Here for iPad?
    Jawbone announces Icon HD headset with improved audio, 'Nerd' adapter for making PC-based VoIP calls -- Engadget

Could it finally happen? CCK + this non-bluetooth proprietary dongle = Hands-free audio calling goodness?

Green Apple
    Thanks

There is no mention of the USB dongle working with an iPad. Since iOS has very limited USB support (with the camera connection kit) I highly doubt it will work. The camera connection kit also doesn't supply enough power to even work with most USB keyboards.
    Devices: iPhone 3GS iOS 5.0.1 (old boot ROM), iPad 2 64GB/3G/4.10.01 iOS 4.3.3, Android and WM phones as well

Quote Originally Posted by EmailGuy View Post
    There is no mention of the USB dongle working with an iPad. Since iOS has very limited USB support (with the camera connection kit) I highly doubt it will work. The camera connection kit also doesn't supply enough power to even work with most USB keyboards.
    I'll bet it will work. While you're right that iOS lacks basic USB support, one thing iOS has been shown to support time and time again is generic audio devices plugged in through the CCK USB. What makes this headset solution from Jawbone unique is that the USB dongle is a proprietary device that identifies itself to whatever OS as a generic audio device and passes audio data (headphone, microphone) along just as if a generic USB mic or headphones were plugged in, while maintaining a wireless link to the headset.

If you check Youtube, there are plenty of people that plug in generic audio devices to the iPad through the CCK (microphones, for instance) and the device works just fine because its generic: no special drivers needed. Also, there's a big difference in terms of power requirements between a keyboard (most of the lower-end ones have been shown to work fine with iPad through CCK if you check YouTube) and a small wireless dongle. I'd imagine the dongle would sip fewer watts.

In particular, the part of the press release that caught my eye was "As soon as you plug The NERD into any USB port, it will automatically register as a USB audio device and connect to your ICON HD headset so that you can listen to music, watch videos, play games or take VoIP calls – no software downloads required, no hassle of Bluetooth setup. " which suggests this may very well be the VoIP unicorn that iPad users have been looking for.
    Last edited by NessLookAlike; 09-05-2011 at 06:06 PM.

Can you not just use a regular blue tooth headset? Like one without a dongle that you just pair with your device? I don't use blue tooth headsets, but I'm surprised if you can't.

Quote Originally Posted by emerica6708 View Post
    Can you not just use a regular blue tooth headset? Like one without a dongle that you just pair with your device? I don't use blue tooth headsets, but I'm surprised if you can't.
    The problem is that Apple restricts the bluetooth protocols for the iPad and iPod so that the Hands Free Protocol (HFP) can't be used by bluetooth headsets. Why? Product differentiation from the iPhone.

So you can pair up a bluetooth headset with an iPad or iPod, but the microphone will not work! All you can do with it is listen to audio from the iDevice. Suppose you have a SIP application and everything is set up to make calls from the iPad or iPod.. to make a call, you'll have to hold up your ear to the speaker on the bottom and speak into the mic on top! And trying to use an iPad as a phone is awkward at best.. without a headset solution, which is what this Jawbone product may represent.

Quote Originally Posted by NessLookAlike View Post
    The problem is that Apple restricts the bluetooth protocols for the iPad and iPod so that the Hands Free Protocol (HFP) can't be used by bluetooth headsets. Why? Product differentiation from the iPhone.

So you can pair up a bluetooth headset with an iPad or iPod, but the microphone will not work! All you can do with it is listen to audio from the iDevice. Suppose you have a SIP application and everything is set up to make calls from the iPad or iPod.. to make a call, you'll have to hold up your ear to the speaker on the bottom and speak into the mic on top! And trying to use an iPad as a phone is awkward at best.. without a headset solution, which is what this Jawbone product may represent.
    Ohhh ok, never knew that. Thanks.