Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Compatible USB stick for Camera Connection Kit (CCK)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Compatible USB stick for Camera Connection Kit (CCK)
    Hi,

I am using my camera connection kit with iFile (Cydia) to copy data from and to my iPad 2 (version 4.3.3) to view them in Buzz Player (Appstore app)
    Although my iPad is 64GB but I still have space shortage, I like to watch documentaries and have a lot of them.
    As I travel a lot (3 days per week in the airplane is no exception) and therefor watch a lot of them I am looking for some bigger USB thumb drives to carry more documentaries on the road.
    The ones I use now are 4GB transcend drives (TRANSCEND-0783-1) and do work with the CCK.
    I know for a fact that a lot of the thumb drives do not work since Apple lowered the CCK amps to 20MaH (from 100MaH) and I am looking for supported thumbdrives with at least 16Gb capacity.
    Does anyone know any brands or types of thumb drives/usb sticks that are working on the CCK? (or any memory cards? mine don't seem to work at all...)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Guess no one is using USB sticks larger then 4GB
    I am waiting for a powerpack (6600mAh) to power an external HD so I can use HD's on my iPad on the road once again solves all my problems with the lowered dock power..

Seagate now has a battery powered external hard drive (500gb) for the ipad with a built in wifi so the ipad just connects to it. $200. called the Seagate GoFlex Satellite. They market it specifically for watching movies on the go.

I also use the CCK with USB and just got a Verbatim tuff 'n tiny usb 32gb stick. really small but doesn't work with CCK. I'm hoping someone comes out with a Cydia tweak that would increase the power to the usb so we can use our flash drives again.

I am using a Datastick Sport 8 GB USB Drive now and it works on my iPad but not iPhone. I just ordered a Datastick Sport 32 GB drive to give that a try. Hopefully it will work.

I will post up after I get it and let you know.

Datastick Sport 32 GB USB Drive
    Last edited by scottw03; 08-14-2011 at 03:23 PM.

Ok got my Datastick Sport 32 GB USB drive yesterday and loaded it up with some movies and sure enough it works.

So my 32 GB iPad 2 now can have access to a lot more content.

Only about $50 spent. Well with the added cost of the CCK too.

Posted this in another thread about the same topic as well.

I want to get one of these so is yours still working? I have a JB 16gb ipad 2 running 4.3.3.
    Quote Originally Posted by scottw03 View Post
    Ok got my Datastick Sport 32 GB USB drive yesterday and loaded it up with some movies and sure enough it works.

So my 32 GB iPad 2 now can have access to a lot more content.

Only about $50 spent. Well with the added cost of the CCK too.

Posted this in another thread about the same topic as well.

Yup still works on my jb iPad 2 with 4.3.3

8. The Following User Says Thank You to scottw03 For This Useful Post:

name00 (09-22-2011)

Yup still works on my jb iPad 2 with 4.3.3
    this is what ive been looking for i just literally ordered mine and hopefully it still works,

Anyone having new thoughts on this?

Quote Originally Posted by hollanded View Post
    There is now a memory stick which will work with the Ipad/Iphone and Ipod.
    But bit more expensive as the $50.- but it work.
    Just have a look here How to Transfer files to Ipad
    Yeah I looked into that before when I was trying to figure out what direction I wanted to go in. $100 for 8GB though is hard to justify. I typically jb my idevices when it is an option and just use the CCK and the USB drives that work.

Just jb my iPad 2 this past weekend and installed iFile and tried out the CCK again with the 32 GB stick and everything works fine. Was able to navigate to files, watch videos (as long as they were MP4 or M4V files), transfer files, etc... I will stick with this option.

I wish there was a cydia tweak to increase the power to the adapter slot on the iPad so that we could use more USB drives with them, maybe even an external HDD depending on how much power they draw. Even if for an external it was for a short time to just transfer files would be worth it. I don't know if this is only a software issue that can be fixed by a update to the coding or if it is also limited by hardware and therefore cannot be done.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to scottw03 For This Useful Post:

Fourseven (04-21-2012)

I figure I'd chime in with my experience so far.
    I am on 5.0.1 due to restore from dfu due to being stuck in boot loop.
    I ordeded a cck from eBay from hong kong for about $6
    Took 4 weeks to arrive though.
    Every USB drive / flash drive failed too much power error.
    I read a USB Hub could work although it elimanates portability.

Now I looked through all my adapters.
    Had a 32gb class 4 micro Sandisk from my sprint evo phone
    And a microcard usb adapter from an nintendo cyclo ds lite kit (rare to find these days)
    (Sadly the native adapter from Sandisk fails)
    Plug it (cyclo kit) in and errors immediately however the photo app loads and the pics show up prompting for import I fire up Ifile and flash drive appears and all my directories reappear.
    I tested some 720p mp4 videos and worked with out a hitch.

I got micro 32gb Sandisk from newegg for under 40
    And the cyclo ds kit from real hot deals for $46 a few years back
    I tried ordering more for replacements and they had none.
    Worth a shot to try micro sd cards /adapters if you Have some lying around
    Last edited by Noobs4us; 02-23-2012 at 03:35 PM.

Just jb my iPad 2 this past weekend and installed iFile and tried out the CCK again with the 32 GB stick and everything works fine. Was able to navigate to files, watch videos (as long as they were MP4 or M4V files), transfer files, etc... I will stick with this option.
    scottw03,

Are you able to watch videos from the stick directly or do you have to copy the videos into the iPad? I have ipad 2 16gb wifi jb with jailbreakme 3.0 and a 3rd party CCK. I can read from the CCK with iFile and copy stuff to the iPad, but what i really would like is to play videos off the usb stick/sd card directly without having to copy the file over first. When i try to wacth the video directly thru iFile (and this is a Handbrake-encoded iPad2 compatible DVD rip), the video typically plays for about 2min or so, then hangs and i have to close it and reopen it, it never gets beyond 2-3 min and if i keep opening and closing the video, after about 3 times the ipad will hang.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Hi All,

could I ask for advise what usb key's are working under ios 5+. Most manuf. websides don't show the power consumption of their USB Memories to find once under 20maH.

Ideal would be 8GB or 16GB.

Thx,
    Oliver

for those who are looking:

Working:
    Kingston DataTraveler 101 G2 - 16GB

Not working:
    Kingston DataTraveler 100 - 16GB
    Kingston DataTraveler 109 - 16GB
    Corsair Voyager GTR - 32GB

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Oliver96 For This Useful Post:

jfhey (07-14-2012)

Default frustrated with CCK
    Hi, first post here.

Sorry if I am doing this wrong i.e. old thread etc....someone please move my post if needed.
    (I have visited this tutorial thread)
    I am new to the notion of jailbreaking, somewhat apprehensive, but at a point of desperation given my frustration with the CCK and its stated limitations.

I am eager to use my iPad 2 + CCK to upload/download files via USB stick and or SD Card when I travel. I often have a need at conferences etc to share .PDF's, .PPT's and .DOCX's with other users. If I can travel with just my iPad2, CCK and USB or SD in my pocket it would be excellent. No more hefty laptop to tote about, and worry about security of it (in some countries).

Reading around, I see the need to jailbreak...gain the iFile app and pray my USB sticks don't draw too much power. I am at a loss where to begin with this though. Too many jailbreak options, iFile on the app store getting flakey reviews...and a fear of bricking my iPad, currently sporting 5.1.1 (9B206).

I'd appreciate being pointed in the right direction with all this.
    Cheers
    Last edited by crankcaseNZ; 06-25-2012 at 06:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Oliver96 View Post
    for those who are looking:

Working:
    Kingston DataTraveler 101 G2 - 16GB

Not working:
    Kingston DataTraveler 100 - 16GB
    Kingston DataTraveler 109 - 16GB
    Corsair Voyager GTR - 32GB
    In another forum I read:
    "Using iOS 4.3.1 on my iPad. My Corsair Voyager 32 GB works perfectly. You can find it here at Newegg"
    Keep in mind, not the GTR version.
    This person must have used an ipad 1 or 2, since the post was from May 2011.
    Does anyone know if the hardware and iOS specs are still the same?
    Then the Voyager 32gb should still work!

edit: The Transcend Jetflash 600 32gb is supposed to work too! I'll find out and post again.
    Last edited by jfhey; 07-14-2012 at 02:25 PM. Reason: new info

Can CCK work with kingstone datatraveler micro??? (It has advertisement on web)

@crankcaseNZ
    If you want to use pdsf, etc. on your iPad with CCK, you do need to jailbreak it.
    Just go with Absinthe and you will be fine. Google for absinthe greenpois0n.
    iFile works perfectly fine! Definately worth the money. You can even play mp3 files from sd card via ifile. (besides, if you want to watch a video directly from sd without copying it to your ipad, and it's in a format that iFile cant read, just create a link to the videofile, and open the link in your favorite video-app.)

Instead of trying to figure out which flash drive would work, I decided to just go with sd card (nearly every sd card should work, as long as it's not a sdxc. Currently I'm using a transcend 32gb class 6 sdhc.) and got an usb card reader (one that looks like a flash drive when the sd is inserted).
    So it's guaranteed that it works, and I have a "flash-drive" at hand if some laptop doesn't have a sd reader.

I'm very happy with this setup, because finally I have almost infinite memory on my ipad :-)
    Just always unmount the sd from ifile (or close ifile manually, if you can't unmount). I hadn't always done so, and my sd got damaged, so I had to format it. (so it might be good to keep a backup of your really important files in dropbox, or f.ex. in the goodreader app.)

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Hi, this 4GB initiative USB stick from eBay works.
    I have also managed to import files on a non jailbroken iPad too.

Initiative USB Flash Drive / Memory Stick 4GB | eBay