Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Best Skin Ever Tutorial installation

Thanks
    Thanked 1,180 Times in 730 Posts

Default Best Skin Ever Tutorial installation
    Back in 2007 I wrote the first Tutorial with pics for the BSE install on MMI. I figure it is time to update product in 2011 so here is the BSE install for iPad 2 in 2011.

You will need:

~ a shower
    ~ a microfiber cloth
    ~ a small bowl with a drop of dish detergent in it
    ~ a credit card with smooth edges
    ~ a book to set your ipad on up in the air so it can drip around the edges.
    ~ a hair dryer

Setup your work area. I am using the guest bathroom so I have little to no area to work with. You really don't need much though so get to it. Peel your BSE off the paper and set up sticky side up back on the paper you just peeled it off of. It needs to be (a) ready for install quickly and (b) steamed up from the shower so it will apply correctly. Make sure you have a small bowl of water with just one or two drops of dish detergent in it to make it have just a little it of soap content in the water. VERY LITTLE.

If you haven't yet, turn the iPad OFF. Place it face down on the book so it is hovering in mid air. The water will drip off the edges as you squeegee the iPad later.

~ Once set up of the area is complete, close the door to the bathroom, turn the shower on full hot, and turn that sucker into a steam room.

~ Wash your hands of any oils and once you see condensation on the ipad from the steam, wipe off the iPad with the microfiber cloth to remove any contaminants and lint. This is an all natural, chemical free steam cleaning and it allows us to install the BSE without left over chemicals used to previously clean the ipad.

~ Stir the bowl of water with the drop of detergent in it with your fingers and rub the slightly soapy water on your fingers. Now rub your fingers over the back of the iPad coating the iPad back lightly in the solution.

~ Now lift the iPad BSE and place it onto the iPad. Don't worry about getting it perfect just yet, the whole purpose of a steam installation is that you can move it around on the iPad any way you want without penalty. Continue to fool with it until you have it lined up the way you want it.

~ If you haven't already, turn the shower off. Once the skin is lined up it's time to start drying it back out. Use your credit car to squeegee the water out of the skin. Be very gentle, do not press hard at all, VERY GENTLE. if you press hard the skin will deform and stretch as well it will move out of place. Just get it to be a little more dry than it was with the squeegee.

~ Now use your hair dryer 2 minutes of heat and two minutes of cold air. Alternate and only use the credit card to squeegee on the cold cycle to avoid stretching and movement.

~ The corners won't stick right now so don't waste your time with them. Once the skin dries out you can just roll them around with your finger and they'll be done. You can either dry the skin most all the way with the dryer or just start to get it dry and warm, then let it dry naturally.

~ Go back after it is dry and inspect your work. If the skin is COMPLETELY DRY (this will take many hours!) Then you can repeat the procedure for the front skin. I recommend you do it at least one day apart to allow the back time to cure. As a side note I wouldn't turn the iPad on for at least 5 hours.

Screw #Winning, I'm #Juanning
    iMac 27" i5 quad 2.8Ghz (1TB), MacBook Pro 17" 2.6, iPhone 4s

Thanks
    Thanked 10,215 Times in 6,216 Posts

Nice work one1, great tutorial and all the pics sure makes it easy to understand more.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to blkcadi For This Useful Post:

one1 (07-19-2011)

Thanks

Thanks, more shots

These are still wet so you'll see some dark spots in the skin and the corners are not rolled down perfect yet until they are dry.

Dude, nice! Very well done.
    And it will be like a taco inside a taco within a Taco Bell that's inside a KFC that's within a mall that's inside your dream! Springboard screwy after reboot? Here is the fix

Thanks

Long as you can keep the edges from peeling you're good. It seems like my iphone had less issue with edge peeling than the iPad does. IMO it is still the way to go. Running naked, without running naked.