+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Dual USB cable for charging?

is a discussion within the

iPad Accessories

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
Anyone know of a dual USB (like those that come with portable hdds for extra power) dock cables or adapters for standard USB cables? Often not around AC but I
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Dual USB cable for charging?
    Anyone know of a dual USB (like those that come with portable hdds for extra power) dock cables or adapters for standard USB cables? Often not around AC but I have a fully charged laptop available. To bad my year old Macbook can't provide enough power to charge at full speed.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I tried it on my desktop with a dual USB cable I have here and it still didn't work. Said "Not Charging".

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hi,

QuickerTek just announced a product for $29.95 it is called the USB Charge Monitor/Activator
    it has 4 LED's and circuitry that measures and displays the charging status of the iPad.
    here is the link: [url=http://www.quickertek.com/products/ipad_charge_monitor_usb.php]
    Last edited by Catt; 05-06-2010 at 09:56 AM. Reason: wrong link

Thanks

I'm looking for the same thing... I think I have a cable in a box somewhere that I'm going to try: it's got a USB female and one USB male and another USB male with a pass-thru connector (pulls power while providing data access for low-power accessories like a USB mouse).

(edit because I just had another thought)

What I'm really hoping for is that the cable will let me charge and sync on my 2007 MBP that can't charge via it's not-quite-enough-oomph USB 2.0 ports. It may be a combination of the one cable as the data connection and the other pass-thru plugged into an AC adapter.
    Last edited by quidam_brujah; 05-09-2010 at 10:01 PM. Reason: had another thought

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

If it works let us know.

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,003 Times in 565 Posts

"Always remember your special and unique!"

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

QuickerTek has a product that they just introduced
    I'm waiting for mine to arrive
    here is their website to check out the product
    QuickerTek USB Charge Monitor/Activator

Catt

Thanks

@Catt: as long as the USB port you are pluggin into can supply the 2A needed, that would be great! But if it doesn't... you're SOL. Sometimes you just need more juice...

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Catt View Post
    Hi,

QuickerTek just announced a product for $29.95 it is called the USB Charge Monitor/Activator
    it has 4 LED's and circuitry that measures and displays the charging status of the iPad.
    here is the link: [url=http://www.quickertek.com/products/ipad_charge_monitor_usb.php]
    This device will NOT enable a USB port that isn't putting out enough power to charge your iPad.

It's function is to provide LED INDICATORS to let you know whether or not your iPad is charging. (Since your screen has to be off, and you can't see the "Charging" instead of "Not Charging" message.

You just simply can't create a device to "amplify" a single USB port to pump out more power than it was physically designed to.

(The GigaByte X3 USB port equipped motherboards are a different story.)

What might help is to splice a 30 pin connector to get power from a 2nd USB port. Anybody know an electrical engineering student?

Here's a page with the pinout: Apple iPod and iPhone (2g, 3g) Dock Interfaces pinout and wiring @ pinouts.ru
    Last edited by spazattack; 05-13-2010 at 01:59 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Green Apple
    Thanks

ipad sucks up so much power i'm pretty sure the only way you can avoid the "not charging" is to designate its own usb into a power outlet.