+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Picked up a Camera Connection Kit at the Apple Store today

is a discussion within the

iPad Accessories

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
Walked in to an Apple store and snagged the last one. I was curious to find out how it worked with my brand new Flip HD Video Camera. At first,
    Thanks
    Default Picked up a Camera Connection Kit at the Apple Store today
    Walked in to an Apple store and snagged the last one. I was curious to find out how it worked with my brand new Flip HD Video Camera. At first, all seemed fine. When plugged in, iPhoto opened and went right to thumbnail previews of the Flip contents. I selected and imported. Success! Or was it?

When viewing at my ipad camera roll, the videos appeared as generic MP4 icons. They wouldn't open or play. I tried to email it to myself and the attachment was blank. Hmm, I was stumped.

I asked a friendly apple associate if I could connect my ipad to one of their systems to see if the video would translate over to the OSX version of iPhoto (good thing he didn't notice the Cydia icon on my home page). After a debate regarding their policy, they connected my ipad to a loaner laptop. The video appeared in iPhoto, imported and played just fine.

So, result? Not 100% supportive of my Flip HD video camera, but the ipad can certainly function as an interim storage device. Just don't plan on previewing or sharing the videos directly from the ipad, for now.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Are you by any chance jailbroken? Could you plug a thumbdrive (that has something other than photos) in and see if you could ssh into the iPad and view all of the files on the drive.

Or, if you have iFile installed, could you try and copy a file FROM the ipad TO the thumbdrive.
    Last edited by SplitFire; 05-04-2010 at 07:48 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SplitFire View Post
    Are you by any chance jailbroken? Could you plug a thumbdrive (that has something other than photos) in and see if you could ssh into the iPad and view all of the files on the drive.

Or, if you have iFile installed, could you try and copy a file FROM the ipad TO the thumbdrive.
    I think you may have misunderstood. I can import from my Flip camera to my iPad, no problem, they just won't preview. When imported via iPhoto on my desktop, from my iPad, they work fine. So, it sort of supports my Flip video camera.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Sorry, I understood. I was just wondering if you could test that out for me. I don't have the camera connection kit yet.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SplitFire View Post
    Sorry, I understood. I was just wondering if you could test that out for me. I don't have the camera connection kit yet.
    Ahh. Sorry. I'll give it a try. I am jailbroken.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Thanks. I'm hoping it will work so I can transfer pics and other files to a thumb drive while on vacation.

Thanks

Good idea, would work well with an app that "Empties" the camera roll to whatever usb storage device is plugged in. I know from another article that normally Apple sandboxes the ability you want but it also said once jailbroken it would be possible.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Finally found a video of someone mounting an external drive and reading/writing files. Not sure why he used the MacBook to mount the drive though. Is terminal not compatible with the iPad yet?

iPad Spirit jailbreak + Camera Connection Kit = external HDD support -- Engadget

Green Apple
    Thanks

I was finally able to pick up the camera connection kit and try this out. It works perfectly. Right now it isn't the easiest thing to do since you have to use the command line to mount the drives. Once that is done though, ifile makes it easy to copy whatever you want to/from the iPad.

Instead of using a separate computer to issue the mount commands, just use iSSH from the AppStore.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Don't mess around with that method (ssh/mounting). Just jailbreak install ifile $2.00. And follow the instructions in this link. Works like a charm, play mp4 & m4v right off the sd or USB thumb drive.

You can use the camera kit to use external usb drives and sd cards without work around
    Last edited by chuckkay; 05-12-2010 at 03:04 PM.