Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: USB multitrack recording!

Default USB multitrack recording!
    I'm sure many of you have heard rumblings about the Camera Connection kit supporting audio I/O.

I'm happy to report that it doesn't just work, it ROCKS!

Note that not all USB mikes or interfaces will work, by a long shot, but I've found two that work exceptionally well:

The Blue Yeti USB microphone

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Microphones-Yeti-USB-Microphone/dp/B002VA464S]Amazon.com: Blue Microphones Yeti USB Microphone: Musical Instruments[/ame]

The Zoom H4n, is a 4-track portable digital recorder, but it also can be used as a USB audio interface, and as it turns out, it's a great fit with the iPad, with built in monitoring, stereo mikes, and pre-amp.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001QWBM62/...sl_7ca1v85u2_e

Combined with MultiTrack 16-Track Recorder (soon to be upgraded to a hybrid iPad app), this works as portable battery-powered studio that sounds fantastic. The mic is huge, but it's really amazing quality for the money (~$100). Equally important, it has exactly the features you need to make the recording process very slick and easy, because In addition to working with the iPad USB audio IN, it simultaneously works as the audio OUT. It has gain and volume controls on the mic body as well, so you can really control the input and monitoring levels. The Yeti has a headphone jack built into the mic body which plays both the sound being recorded and the previously recorded tracks, so you can monitor everything properly as you record. I used it for several hours today, and barely made a dent in the iPad battery.

MultiTrack - 16 Track Recorder for iPhone, iPod touch, and iPad on the iTunes App Store

The software is pretty basic on features, but has great useability and is rock solid. One minor issue: Be sure to plug the headphones into the microphone body before plugging the mic into the iPad, or the power surge will cause an error.

Unfortunately the Sonoma Wire Works' stuff (StudioTrack & FourTrack) DON'T work yet, but I'd be very surprised if there isn't an upgrade to fix that soon. Every other recording app I tried worked flawlessly.
    Last edited by DaveiPhone; 05-01-2010 at 05:38 PM.