+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Case Review

is a discussion within the

iPad Accessories

forums, a part of the

General iPad

section;
As I am sure is the case with many, I've been thinking about what I'll carry this thing in since before I even ordered it. At work I can't be
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Default Case Review
    As I am sure is the case with many, I've been thinking about what I'll carry this thing in since before I even ordered it. At work I can't be seen without my notebook so I figured a similar style might be appropriate here.

I preordered the Apple case and wasn't the least bit impressed with it. It was flimsy and rather cheap looking.

After lots of searching I ordered this:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003FCV68K/ref=oss_product]Amazon.com: Apple Ipad Tablet Brown Solid Color Leather Book Style Case with Magnetic Closure Clasp and Inside Pocket + Premium Precut Screen Protector/Guard: Electronics[/ame]

All in all I'm pretty pleased with it. The leather is of good quality and the stitching seems solid. The color is nice (matches my man bag) and good access to buttons and ports.

Now the two negatives.

It's a little looser than I would like. The device fits, but it could be just a hair more snug. The clasp is not on the access side so a brisk shaking could possibly dislodge the iPad from the case. I think if your pad was also in a gel sleeve of some sort it would probably fit perfectly. The other issue is the clasp. It connects and holds well, but it's location just seems backwards to me. If facing your iPad, the front cover closes and the clasps loops around the back and connects there.

The price is good and it's well made, I think I'll kern it for the time being.

Super Sweet Moderator thetoothfairy's Avatar
    Thanks

I bought the one from Apple and it fits snug!

"Always remember your special and unique!"

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

I got an Apple Case and like it pretty well. It's a very snug fit. It makes the iPad much easier to hold for long periods of time, because it's texturized, not slippery like the iPad itself. Also, it allows you to prop the iPad at different angles which is very useful.

I wish the front flap had some way of staying fully closed. It doesn't look that great, but then again, I'm not interested in attracting a lot of attention to it, so maybe that's a good thing!

iPhone? More like MyPhone br8thw8's Avatar
    Thanks
    I really like the Apple case for the same reasons that DaveiPhone has mentioned. And I agree with him about keeping the case closed. Apple should have embedded a magnet in the case flap to hold it shut.

Green Apple
    Thanks

I love my Zagg one!

Thanks

where are you guys finding the official apple ipad cases?

Thanks

I pre-ordered mine from Apple when I ordered the iPad. It arrived the Tuesday following launch day.

My iPhone is a Part of Me tsatryan's Avatar
    Thanks

I have the Apple case - got it at the Apple Store when I picked up my iPad the first day. I like it for protection and function, but it's a bit too "utilitarian" for my taste. It looks and feels like it's made from the same stuff as deep-sea diving suits. It's not bad looking, but I am wanting something more professional. So, I have ordered the new Sena Folio case. Sena always makes top-of-the-line leather cases, and this one looks great. They are supposed to ship on May 3. If the folio style isn't for you, Sena has four different styles of leather cases for the iPad.

Thanks

The Sena is a tremendous looking case. Please report back after you get it. I might have to give one a spin.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default iPad Case Disappointments...
    So the Apple case looks very "un-apple" to me, almost unfinished? The rim around the outer edge of the case looks almost glued together in a hurry, not a fan!

I have been looking at casemate express case and the book from longlivebooks and while the book one seems awesome, the price is just ridiculous, it is nearly 20% the price of the device it is supposed to hold?

I will let you all know when my casemate one comes, I may end up producing one myself if I am not pleased.

The cool thing about the iPad is how slim and simple it is, why would I want any of the big bulky bags or cheap looking neoprene sleeves to hold it?

Also, has anyone noticed the many of the "netbook bags" that were available before the iPad have now been rebranded as iPad bags and the price doubled? STM and inCase both seem to have done this... grrr!
    Last edited by aidensocal; 04-15-2010 at 05:55 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Meh, too much of the screen is covered, IMO. I am about to purchase the inCase Convertible Book Jacket, as it covers less of the screen, and offers several viewing angles. Yes it is $60, but is a spit in the bucket compared to the $830 iPad, right? lol

Just noticed the 3-4 week backorder, damnit
    And it will be like a taco inside a taco within a Taco Bell that's inside a KFC that's within a mall that's inside your dream! Springboard screwy after reboot? Here is the fix

My iPhone is a Part of Me tsatryan's Avatar
    Thanks

Actually, the only part of the screen that is covered is not part of the actual screen at all - it is just part of the glass that surrounds the screen. If you look at the iPad, there is about a 3/4 inch border all around the display.

Also, that InCase Book Jacket you mention - it is for sale now in the Apple Store near me. It's a nice case, but I'm not a big fan of having the InCase name in bold white letters across the front, nor of the "elastic band" used to hold it closed. Other than that, I like the design.
    Last edited by tsatryan; 04-17-2010 at 07:19 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

I see what you're saying, but I have had cases for my iPhone that cover up to the edge of the touchscreen, and have found that it is not desirable (to me). There aren't that many instances that I am actually utilizing the very edge of the screen. But there were enough to get me away from those types of cases. Diff'rnt strokes :-)
    Last edited by Imahottguy; 04-17-2010 at 09:52 PM.
    And it will be like a taco inside a taco within a Taco Bell that's inside a KFC that's within a mall that's inside your dream! Springboard screwy after reboot? Here is the fix

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by DaveiPhone View Post
    I got an Apple Case and like it pretty well. It's a very snug fit. It makes the iPad much easier to hold for long periods of time, because it's texturized, not slippery like the iPad itself. Also, it allows you to prop the iPad at different angles which is very useful.

I wish the front flap had some way of staying fully closed. It doesn't look that great, but then again, I'm not interested in attracting a lot of attention to it, so maybe that's a good thing!
    i found the thinnest velcro tapes i can find to keep the flap intact when it is flipped open to view the screen , works great!!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to mytran80 For This Useful Post:

mfldmike (05-01-2010)

Green Apple
    Thanks
    I managed to get my iPad 32GB here in the UK during launch week (via US!). The problem here in the UK is that as the iPad has not been officially launched, accessories are few and fat between.

Does anyone here in the UK know of any available iPad accessories sites where I can get hold of a good case and iPad dock?

Banned
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mytran80 View Post
    i found the thinnest velcro tapes i can find to keep the flap intact when it is flipped open to view the screen , works great!!
    That's actually a great idea!

I opted not to get the Apple case just because of the reviews of that "flap" creasing, I hope it works out for you in the long run.

Thanks

I ended up returning the case reviewed above (over a week or two, the slippage issue became dangerous and concerning).

I ended up pre-ordering a Sena case (never owned one, but have always heard good things) and it just arrived this week.

This is a fantastic case. Everything I liked about the previous case applies, plus the leather is of an even higher quality, the clasp is in a more logical orientation, the ipad pocket fits very snuggly (actually took a tiny bit of effort getting it in) and the access pocket is along the spine so absolutely NO risk of the device every sliding out.

The inside cover comes with 5 card slots (one windowed) and a full pocket along the bottom.

I think I found my case!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by shirwan72 View Post
    Does anyone here in the UK know of any available iPad accessories sites where I can get hold of a good case and iPad dock?
    We just featured a couple of iPad cases available in the UK on our blog. Urbano Leather & ZipSleeve. Hope it helps!
    Last edited by blkcadi; 06-29-2010 at 09:50 PM.
    mod edit/links removed

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I cannot be happier with the iPad case from Apple. I wasn't sure I should pay $49 for it, but now that I've had it and used it... it is so dang useful. In fact, I don't think I would like the iPad as much if I didn't have that case.

Thanks

I've been using the Apple Case for the past 6 weeks or so, and I still like it pretty well, but I was hoping to find something similarly functional, but with a nicer finish.

I order this case, and it arrived today:
    Eco-Vue for iPad

I decided to return it about 10 secs after trying it on my iPad. The case is beautiful, and very well constructed but it feels like it doubles the weight and thickness of the iPad. It quickly became apparent why they added those straps to it--- you need them to hang onto with all that extra heft!

The Apple case seems much better looking now, and has held up much better than I anticipated.