• Nullriver Installer

246 34.99%
  • Both

202 28.73%
  • None

23 3.27%
+ Reply
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Cydia Installer Vs. NullRiver Installer

is a discussion within the

Installer Support

forums, a part of the

Native iPhone / iPod Touch App Discussion

section;
Originally Posted by ajl917 Well my bad, I though Nate made Installer, but if Saurik would have collab'd with WHOEVER MADE INSTALLER, then continue with my 1st statement... And since
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ajl917 View Post
    Well my bad, I though Nate made Installer, but if Saurik would have collab'd with WHOEVER MADE INSTALLER, then continue with my 1st statement...
    And since Installer is closed source, how easy would that be? He then had to get hired by Nullriver before he could make some changes.

If i think Windows sucks, what would be easier? Get hired by Microsoft so i could make the changes or use some open source Linux project and help them?

Or like this case, since there is no other open source installer he made the first one and if anyone would like to help they are free to do so.

Cydia could be great if it gets as good as Installer in the near future. If a new better version of Installer gets released soon Cydia could be having a hard time to be a replacement. But since Installer is now version 3.0 and still lacks some features i dont think a new version is coming soon. Or new features.

Quote Originally Posted by wePhone View Post
    I'm pissed at how people say Cydia is so much better. Listen up, kids. THEY DO THE EXACT SAME ******* THING!

That is all.
    It's not what they do, it's how they do it.

But then again i guess you are pissed on people saying that iPhone is so much better then lets say a Nokia N95. THEY DO THE EXACT SAME THING.
    But i guess you know that it is not what the iPhone does that makes it great, it is how it does it.
    Last edited by raptorjr; 03-06-2008 at 03:11 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by raptorjr View Post
    And since Installer is closed source, how easy would that be? He then had to get hired by Nullriver before he could make some changes.

If i think Windows sucks, what would be easier? Get hired by Microsoft so i could make the changes or use some open source Linux project and help them?

Or like this case, since there is no other open source installer he made the first one and if anyone would like to help they are free to do so.

Cydia could be great if it gets as good as Installer in the near future. If a new better version of Installer gets released soon Cydia could be having a hard time to be a replacement. But since Installer is now version 3.0 and still lacks some features i dont think a new version is coming soon. Or new features.

It's not what they do, it's how they do it.

But then again i guess you are pissed on people saying that iPhone is so much better then lets say a Nokia N95. THEY DO THE EXACT SAME THING.
    But i guess you know that it is not what the iPhone does that makes it great, it is how it does it.
    Im sure if Saurik would have presented his ideas and his examples to the creators of Installer, they would have let him have the code and then they would work together to create a much better Installer.app BTW, for me, I would probably get hired by Microsoft before creating a whole new OS...

Thanks

aj917 you seem to continue missing the point that Nullriver don't respond to the outside world, and the fact that they're closed source makes it worse. A prime example is the Known issue list in Installer that hasn't been altered for months, and I'm sure people have been "presenting their ideas".
    Oh and true, you wouldn't have to make a new OS to join MS, but you also wouldn't need to join them to tell them to fix a bug; unlike NullRiver, Microsoft release bugfixes and support frequently for their software.
    Now as a result for the unaddressed issues,we now have the option to move away!

P.S. I'm testing some beta Cydia sources, and I've moved more than 75% of my apps on installer to Cydia. Seems that the need for two apps is starting to diminish, eh? (for me anyway)
    [RIGHT][LEFT][IMG]http://lookpic.com/i/470/QsIbAobp.jpeg[/IMG]
    [/LEFT][QUOTE]Microsoft owns the internet through Hotmail. The .HTML is short for Hotmail, so all .HTML files are MS files.[/QUOTE][URL="http://twitter.com/dale1v"][SIZE=2][COLOR=Cyan][I]twitter.com/dale1v[/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]
    [/RIGHT]

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Default Cydia & Subsystem is ar Superior
    Before anyone down talks Cydia, they should read the developers web site which has all the details on how it works, advantages, future plans, features, etc... http://www.saurik.com/id/1

First, applications run faster, you know what is actually happening during installation, all unix commands actually work (including the obvious passwd), amongst many other advantages of the the Cydia packager itself (not the subsystem).

If it has caused problems to anyones iPhone it's because they either upgraded to 1.1.4 instead of restore, or they restored their iTunes back up instead of creating a "new phone". If Cydia is correctly installed, it will work nothing but perfectly.

I have used it to install every single package I want that it has available. Once Ste and Bigboss's sources are available, I will probably hide my Installer icon.
    iPhone 3GS - 32GB

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dale1v View Post
    aj917 you seem to continue missing the point that Nullriver don't respond to the outside world, and the fact that they're closed source makes it worse. A prime example is the Known issue list in Installer that hasn't been altered for months, and I'm sure people have been "presenting their ideas".
    Oh and true, you wouldn't have to make a new OS to join MS, but you also wouldn't need to join them to tell them to fix a bug; unlike NullRiver, Microsoft release bugfixes and support frequently for their software.
    Now as a result for the unaddressed issues,we now have the option to move away!

P.S. I'm testing some beta Cydia sources, and I've moved more than 75% of my apps on installer to Cydia. Seems that the need for two apps is starting to diminish, eh? (for me anyway)
    Idk about you, but if someone went to Nullriver with a plan to actually do something, not just about a bug, Im pretty sure they would respond...

Thanks

Well since September I've been waiting for the disk space notification, that was a plan we brought forward.
    [RIGHT][LEFT][IMG]http://lookpic.com/i/470/QsIbAobp.jpeg[/IMG]
    [/LEFT][QUOTE]Microsoft owns the internet through Hotmail. The .HTML is short for Hotmail, so all .HTML files are MS files.[/QUOTE][URL="http://twitter.com/dale1v"][SIZE=2][COLOR=Cyan][I]twitter.com/dale1v[/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]
    [/RIGHT]

formerly known as arturpokusin playful_cyanide's Avatar
    Thanks

I have been using both. I love that Cydia is so much faster than Installer, and installer needs to get updated...seriously
    Don't forget to hit
    Get your custom MMi Signature's here!

Join the MMi \/\/AVE experience

iPhone? More like MyPhone iChopPryde's Avatar
    Thanks

Cydia is truly awesome it has everything you want yes its not perfect yet but its far on its way to be and since its open source the possibilities are endless it will eventually take over nullriver I use it frequently and more and more sources are becoming available like bigboss ect

My iPhone is a Part of Me desepticon's Avatar
    Thanks

i haven't been able to install any of the musical apps: pocketGuitar, Drummer, iAno. They install but the sounds don't play.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I think that Cydia and apt-get are the best way to built a definitive installer for the iphone, but are there some addictional repositories? I have searched some of them but I find only modmyi...

I hope that the app-developers made some repositories: the nullsoft installer is good but it haven't search and it's not Open... I use Debian and I think apt-get is the best way

Thanks

I'm still partial to Installer, everyone and their mother has a repo for installer these days.

Once you're caught up on apps, its just a matter of browsing the "Recent" folder for anything new.

Also, I saw that it was mentioned Cydia can make symlinks for you, I'm not sure what that means, because with a simple call to the /bin directory you can execute terminal commands in Installer as well. Simply do a check first in your script for the BSD subsystem to avoid any main script errors, and alert your user with a Notice if its not installed.

Honestly, Installer can have just as many padded walls as cydia, unfortunately most people don't script their repositories very well. Its pretty much "hey let me download this guy's script to see how it works so that I can make my own" which has lowered the quality.

Thanks

The only thing Installer needs is alphabetic scrolling.

Thanks

Using both right now.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Bassir View Post
    The only thing Installer needs is alphabetic scrolling.
    Would be nice if they could add version control also. Very annoying when you get "updates" to older versions of what you have installed.

Thanks

another thing installer needs is the search feature. Glad cydia has that

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by loujob View Post
    another thing installer needs is the search feature. Glad cydia has that
    installer just got the search function. check for an update and you'll see it.

Thanks

yea it just came out the next day. lol good ****.

Livin the iPhone Life Apple iPie's Avatar
    Thanks

Well,personaly I use Nullriver,becaurse in Cydia,a lot of apps,from installer,and once,when I tried to install Cydia,it got my iPhone into recovery...

Green Apple
    Thanks

I upgrade my iphone from 1.1.2 to 1.1.4 and lost Installer and got Cydia, so far is not seem working right, every time try to install any package it return back to main screen without do any thing. please help!!! I want my Installer back.

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dvd65 View Post
    I upgrade my iphone from 1.1.2 to 1.1.4 and lost Installer and got Cydia, so far is not seem working right, every time try to install any package it return back to main screen without do any thing. please help!!! I want my Installer back.
    I think you need FakeBSD which can be found in Saurik's repo. Try putting Installer into your phone and get the FakeBSD, you will be enjoying Cydia after that.