Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Installer Problems, and disk space fix

Default Installer Problems, and disk space fix
    There are numerous threads now with people having problems with installer. The most common cause of the problem is that people have used up all the disk space. Most people don't realize that the iPhone has two hard disk partitions. So deleting music, having 7gb free for music has nothing to do with how much disk space you have to install applications.

To help solve this issue, I have stripped the undeveloped features from BossTool and sent v0.34 off to MMi to host. This tool will allow you to move your Applications, Ringtones, and Wallpaper from the smaller disk to the bigger disk partition. There should be *no* ill side effects from this move. Everything will work the same before and after assuming all went well. The tool also make sure your fstab has noexec properly removed from the larger partition so the move of applications will work. Many of the manual methods posted leave out this crucial step.

I have also removed a lot of the dependency files in the app to make it as small as possible. It now requires only a few kb so hopefully you can free up enough disk space to install it if you are already in trouble.

I suggest everyone, especially 1.1.1 and 1.1.2 users moves their applications before they run into problems. A clean 1.1.1 install only gives about 50mb for apps. 1.0.2 gave about 130mb. So there is not much free space.

To use bosstool, just load the app, go the the disk space screen, and you can see your free space on both partitions. The tool currently does not check that the larger partition has enough free space. Make sure you have at least 100 mb free on the big partition before moving apps! If not, you can delete some music, photos etc to get there. Now, before you move apps, move something like wallpaper or ringtones first. Make sure that the free disk space increased. If it did not, don't move apps. Something is not working on your phone. If it did, (which it should for everyone), then move the applications next.

It is always a good idea to have open SSH installed prior to doing anything like this. That way if anything goes wrong you have a way into your phone to fix it without having to restore. This app does move system files. In doing this, there is always a risk that something can go wrong. So be prepared.

If you are already into a situation where you cannot install anything without installer crashing (just going to springboard without completing install), then you probably need to free disk space before you can even install bosstool and fix the problem. If installer will load, load it and uninstall a few things. Install bosstool, move the apps, then reinstall the things you uninstalled back on afterwards.

If you are totally out of disk space and installer won't even load to uninstall stuff, you may need to manually delete something. If you have openssh, termvt100, or mobile finder installed, you can do this. Just remote in or load finder, and wipe out your most unused third party app in /Applications. You can uninstall or reinstall it later after you solve the problem. After this, installer should be healthy enough to refresh sources and allow you to uninstall some stuff. Uninstall a couple things to be safe then install bosstool and move your applications.

If you have any questions or concerns feel free to contact me. Remember, I only do this to help you people. If you're worried that the tool will mess up your phone or plan to send me hate mail over it, just move on..

Common questions:
    1) After doing this, will I need to redo it for future apps? No. It is a one-time deal. Once this is done you never need to do it again. All future apps install to the new location.

2) I freed disk space but I still have only 50mb free. Why not 300mb? This is because the operating system requires disk space, too. That extra space is being used by the OS that runs your phone.

3) Is this method compatible with application {insert app name here}? Yes, this is an OS level change. All applications are accessed from /Applications. The path /Applications still works and no application will even know its been changed.

4) I want to undo the move, what do I do? I don't recommend undoing the change. I do this move to all my phones when I first set them up even before installing apps. But if you do anyway, here you go. SSH into the phone, remove /Applications and then move /var/Applications back to /. Here are the commands:
    rm -f /Applications
    cp -r /var/Applications /Applications
    rm -rf /var/Applications
    Remember you will need BSD subsystem installed for this to work *and* enough free space on your hard drive to hold the apps.

Questions
    Last edited by BigBoss; 01-13-2008 at 08:54 PM.
    -BigBoss
    Please do not send me messages here as I never check them. If you need to contact me, send me an email. My contact info is easy to find from inside Cydia.

2. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to BigBoss For This Useful Post:

aeayk (03-13-2008), bobsco (01-28-2008), brainfood (01-12-2008), Edser (01-18-2008), esmandau (02-04-2008), Hardwired (01-14-2008), Ikemann888 (07-02-2008), jes156 (04-28-2008), Michael Coakley (02-02-2008), mtaouil11 (02-03-2008), nicholas.hilario (04-20-2008), Ntensity (02-03-2008), saschke (01-27-2008), UnderX (03-24-2008), VJ1111 (02-16-2008)

worked like a charm on 1.1.1.
    couldn't get it to install at first because I was low on space so I followed bigboss's help and deleted a heavy app.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

sweet works a charm, one thing though is how come it dont move everything over giving you the full 300mb left, i had 3mb space run the app and now i have 47mb left.. anyway too increase the space even more.?

sweet works a charm, one thing though is how come it dont move everything over giving you the full 300mb left, i had 3mb space run the app and now i have 47mb left.. anyway too increase the space even more.?
    This is ok. Your applications are now dependent on the amount of space you have on the *big* partition. So you are not limited to 47mb. You have your full 7.2gb for applications. If you need more space, delete a couple songs. You'll never fill that up with apps.
    -BigBoss
    Please do not send me messages here as I never check them. If you need to contact me, send me an email. My contact info is easy to find from inside Cydia.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

oh that great, thanks for the info.. another thanks for you

good work on the great apps too mate. :thumb:

Thumbs up Important Feedback
    I TELL YOU WHAT GUYS, I've had a week of problems with my installer until I came onto this website. I found out through user 'Big boss' how to free up sisk space and have loads of room for downloading apps. I downloaded 'BOSSTOOL'. Thanks sooooo much to Big Boss for guiding me theough it. This programme is unbelievable it's amazing as you can download tons more stuff.

If you're having a problem with installing apps (installer returning to summerboard after attempting to download!). Unistall some apps to make room for Bosstool. Download it through 'installer' and you're away. I credit all this to 'Big Boss'. He was ace.

Nice one

Gemma

I've had lots of questions, so I've added a q/a section that I will maintain at the top of the thread.
    -BigBoss

9. The Following User Says Thank You to BigBoss For This Useful Post:

grbspltt (01-17-2008)

ok so i think im out of disk space. I uninstalled some apps and I want to install bosstool but i cant find it under the catagories in installer.app. Can you help me out?

hey dude never mind i figured it out and you are the best!!!!
    Last edited by tbikeman07; 01-13-2008 at 09:25 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks. The app is great and did not have the first problem.
    HaRdWiReD

First of all, thanks so much for this. Maybe its my imagination, but I feel like my iPhone is generally more responsive and crashes less since I moved everything. So again, props for that! On a quest to free up even more space on the os partition I just thought I'd ask if there is anything else that can be moved over. I have a bunch of dictionaries and ebooks installed, and maybe I'm an idiot but I can't find them in winscp. Are they on the system partition or just somewhere I haven't thought to look? Otherwise, what about text messages etc I have like every conversation since I got the phone, its probably only a few kb anyway, but hey, free space is free space. What do you think?

I used BossTool...it worked for wallpapers and ringtones, but after relocating applications..I can see only half my apps...SSHed to my iPhone...all are there in var/Applications, but not in /Applications...

Default Deleting apps did not help
    Dear Boss I have Iphone with 1.1.2 and it is jailbroken, I had istaller working great all the time, only few days ago I was prompted to install an upgrade for installer which I did and then immediatly installer stopped working in other words it start to plank page and goes back to springboard. I read your instructions and I deleted lots of applications using Finder, but still the installer is the same not working, I also deleted pictures and reset the iphone with no luck. I do not think I have musch more to delete so if you can help please. thanks

Quote Originally Posted by BigBoss View Post
    There are numerous threads now with people having problems with installer. The most common cause of the problem is that people have used up all the disk space. Most people don't realize that the iPhone has two hard disk partitions. So deleting music, having 7gb free for music has nothing to do with how much disk space you have to install applications.

To help solve this issue, I have stripped the undeveloped features from BossTool and sent v0.34 off to MMi to host. This tool will allow you to move your Applications, Ringtones, and Wallpaper from the smaller disk to the bigger disk partition. There should be *no* ill side effects from this move. Everything will work the same before and after assuming all went well. The tool also make sure your fstab has noexec properly removed from the larger partition so the move of applications will work. Many of the manual methods posted leave out this crucial step.

I have also removed a lot of the dependency files in the app to make it as small as possible. It now requires only a few kb so hopefully you can free up enough disk space to install it if you are already in trouble.

I suggest everyone, especially 1.1.1 and 1.1.2 users moves their applications before they run into problems. A clean 1.1.1 install only gives about 50mb for apps. 1.0.2 gave about 130mb. So there is not much free space.

To use bosstool, just load the app, go the the disk space screen, and you can see your free space on both partitions. The tool currently does not check that the larger partition has enough free space. Make sure you have at least 100 mb free on the big partition before moving apps! If not, you can delete some music, photos etc to get there. Now, before you move apps, move something like wallpaper or ringtones first. Make sure that the free disk space increased. If it did not, don't move apps. Something is not working on your phone. If it did, (which it should for everyone), then move the applications next.

It is always a good idea to have open SSH installed prior to doing anything like this. That way if anything goes wrong you have a way into your phone to fix it without having to restore. This app does move system files. In doing this, there is always a risk that something can go wrong. So be prepared.

If you are already into a situation where you cannot install anything without installer crashing (just going to springboard without completing install), then you probably need to free disk space before you can even install bosstool and fix the problem. If installer will load, load it and uninstall a few things. Install bosstool, move the apps, then reinstall the things you uninstalled back on afterwards.

If you are totally out of disk space and installer won't even load to uninstall stuff, you may need to manually delete something. If you have openssh, termvt100, or mobile finder installed, you can do this. Just remote in or load finder, and wipe out your most unused third party app in /Applications. You can uninstall or reinstall it later after you solve the problem. After this, installer should be healthy enough to refresh sources and allow you to uninstall some stuff. Uninstall a couple things to be safe then install bosstool and move your applications.

If you have any questions or concerns feel free to contact me. Remember, I only do this to help you people. If you're worried that the tool will mess up your phone or plan to send me hate mail over it, just move on..

Common questions:
    1) After doing this, will I need to redo it for future apps? No. It is a one-time deal. Once this is done you never need to do it again. All future apps install to the new location.

2) I freed disk space but I still have only 50mb free. Why not 300mb? This is because the operating system requires disk space, too. That extra space is being used by the OS that runs your phone.

3) Is this method compatible with application {insert app name here}? Yes, this is an OS level change. All applications are accessed from /Applications. The path /Applications still works and no application will even know its been changed.

4) I want to undo the move, what do I do? I don't recommend undoing the change. I do this move to all my phones when I first set them up even before installing apps. But if you do anyway, here you go. SSH into the phone, remove /Applications and then move /var/Applications back to /. Here are the commands:
    rm -f /Applications
    cp -r /var/Applications /Applications
    rm -rf /var/Applications
    Remember you will need BSD subsystem installed for this to work *and* enough free space on your hard drive to hold the apps.

Questions
    Deleting apps did not help

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear Boss I have Iphone with 1.1.2 and it is jailbroken, I had istaller working great all the time, only few days ago I was prompted to install an upgrade for installer which I did and then immediatly installer stopped working in other words it start to plank page and goes back to springboard. I read your instructions and I deleted lots of applications using Finder, but still the installer is the same not working, I also deleted pictures and reset the iphone with no luck. I do not think I have musch more to delete so if you can help please. thanks
    Last edited by aramus; 01-22-2008 at 10:49 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Green Apple
    Thanks

hey is instal working right now ...... im using my phone and my buddys phone and i cant get it to refresh

We Love u Boss
    Last edited by amigamig; 01-23-2008 at 10:02 AM.

Livin the iPhone Life
    Thanks

if you read, installer changed so it doesn't refresh every 30mins anymore. u gotta do it manually or let it do it auto every 24hrs.

i have this app and i used it to move all my wallpapers jus to make sure everything did what it was supposed to and it did, im jus afraid to move everything else because i hear so much about some poeples stuff not working afterwards. it still works so im scared to do it but maybe i will when i have no choice lol

any way to eaze my mind on this boss? i now for sure it moved my wallpapers as it increased space after i did so.

Default Help BigBOSS
    Hi BigBOSS I have left you 2 help requests with hopes you can find a way to solve this dissaster that came upon my Iphone. I know as usual you will find a way. I hav efound that this problem is happinning to others the same way and there is so much frustration going around. I really to not think the problem is disk space as I have tried and did not work for my Iphone. I still can not find a fix to the problem, and nullriver is not saying anything about this problem that is going around. did anyone see or found any solution some where please let me know ASAP.

Just in case you do not know what Iam talking about in regard to the problem it is that:
    One dark night I started IPHONE as usaual and straight to installer to check what is new. Then I saw it a UFO (upgrade File opject) Prompt. Immediatly I proceeded to dounload and that was the begining of the end of my installer. All it does after that is start to empty page and shuts immediatly as like the UFO has kidnapped all the installer. I tried reseting, deleting apps and reseting again and no luck.

Facts of the demized: The Iphone is running 1.1.2 and is jailproken and has no carrier service just used with wifi. every thing was working fine till the day of I-UFO when time stood still.

Thank you BigBoss and thank you all
    Please Help

Hi BigBOSS I have left you 2 help requests with hopes you can find a way to solve this dissaster that came upon my Iphone. I know as usual you will find a way. I hav efound that this problem is happinning to others the same way and there is so much frustration going around. I really to not think the problem is disk space as I have tried and did not work for my Iphone. I still can not find a fix to the problem, and nullriver is not saying anything about this problem that is going around. did anyone see or found any solution some where please let me know ASAP.

Just in case you do not know what Iam talking about in regard to the problem it is that:
    One dark night I started IPHONE as usaual and straight to installer to check what is new. Then I saw it a UFO (upgrade File opject) Prompt. Immediatly I proceeded to dounload and that was the begining of the end of my installer. All it does after that is start to empty page and shuts immediatly as like the UFO has kidnapped all the installer. I tried reseting, deleting apps and reseting again and no luck.

Facts of the Demized: The Iphone is running 1.1.2 and is jailproken and has no carrier service just used with wifi. every thing was working fine till the day of I-UFO when time stood still.

Thank you BigBoss and thank you all
    Please Help
    Last edited by aramus; 01-24-2008 at 11:08 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

19. The Following User Says Thank You to aramus For This Useful Post:

hgill (02-16-2008)

Hey,

I've got the same problem as Aramus on a newly jailbreaked iPhone.

Everything worked well but then an update for the installer was installed. Afterwards I tried to install Apollo it says I needed to installed BSD Subsystem (which I've actually already installed).

If I try anything (uninstall/install/reinstall) in Installer I get "main script execution failed" error. I can't install your app. I might be doing something wrong when I try using sftp but it won't allow me to move stuff to the application folder. SSH isn't really my homeground so I've not tried that.

I've got rouglhy 8MB of installed apps so I don't think the 50MB is full unless something else is taking up that space.

I suppose I could to a complete reset again, but what's saying this won't happen again.
    Last edited by Jeaz; 01-25-2008 at 03:39 PM.

iPhone? More like MyPhone the sr5's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jeaz View Post
    Hey,

I've got the same problem as Aramus on a newly jailbreaked iPhone.

Everything worked well but then an update for the installer was installed. Afterwards I tried to install Apollo it says I needed to installed BSD Subsystem (which I've actually already installed).

If I try anything (uninstall/install/reinstall) in Installer I get "main script execution failed" error. I can't install your app. I might be doing something wrong when I try using sftp but it won't allow me to move stuff to the application folder. SSH isn't really my homeground so I've not tried that.

I've got rouglhy 8MB of installed apps so I don't think the 50MB is full unless something else is taking up that space.

I suppose I could to a complete reset again, but what's saying this won't happen again.
    i get the same thing

Update: i did the bigboss tool edit where i moved my apps from one partition to the other and went back to installer and went to uninstall... and clicked on BSD Subsystem and instead of uninstall it said "reinstall" so i am trying the reinstall then will try the update... i will keep you posted...

Also: How do you upgrade your baseband if you have already done nate trues 1.1.3 upgrade?
    Last edited by the sr5; 01-25-2008 at 08:02 PM.

Hello,
    Boostools was working perfectly on my 1.1.1. When I upgraded to 1.1.3, I updated the software to a newer version (0.34a). Moving ringtones an wallpapers was ok, however, when I try to move apps, t just don't move. It goes back to the same screen, without moving any of them. Does anyone here is having the same problem?
    Tank you

My iPhone is a Part of Me PhoneLine's Avatar
    Thanks

I actually had success with 0.34a, but had to redo my phone for a different reason, and now that I am back on 1.1.3 jailbroken, I can't seem to find .034a, only 0.34, and that version is not working for me on 1.1.3

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast