+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Installer Help Please

is a discussion within the

Installer Support

forums, a part of the

Native iPhone / iPod Touch App Discussion

section;
I just finished the jailbreak process on my 1.1.1 iPhone. Now when I open up installer its still the older version (2.63) but located under the Uninstall button is Installer.app
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Installer Help Please
    I just finished the jailbreak process on my 1.1.1 iPhone. Now when I open up installer its still the older version (2.63) but located under the Uninstall button is Installer.app 3.0b4 but it isn't running 2.63 is. The only option I have is Install and it gives the error "No location defined in package". Could someone help me figure out how to get my installer.app upgraded?

Thanks for any help.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    I also had this problem and managed to fix it by following the solution posted here. But, I use ssh to edit copy, edit and paste back the LocalPackages.plist.

Quote Originally Posted by sirjustin1 View Post
    I had this problem too, I found a fix but I would love someone with more BSD knowledge to make this easier. The problem is that the installer is an older version (mine was 2.6) but it's listed as version 3.0b4. Since the installer is listed as the newest version, it won't let you update it. Summerboard needs you to be running version 3.0b or better of installer.app for it to install.

You have to edit the LocalPackages.plist file in the /var/root/Library/Installer directory. I'm a Linux/BSD noob so I don't know how to do it over SSH, but I do know how to instruct you to do it using the phone with the following steps:

1. Install mobilefinder and mobiletext edit from the Productivity category in the installer app
    2. Using Finder hit the ~ button and then it should list Library as one of the folders
    3. Click into Library and then into Installer directory.
    4. One of the files in that directory will be LocalPackages.plist. Highlight it then hit modify.
    5. In the modfiy screen there will be an option "Open With >". Choose TextEdit.app from the list.
    6. Towards the middle of this file there will be some entries for Installer.app (looking something like <string>Installer.app</string> Below this you will find <string>3.0b4</string>
    7. Change this line to <string>2.6</string> and save
    8. Exit and reboot your phone.
    9. Go into the installer app and it should prompt you to update the installer to the newest version.

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to watergun For This Useful Post:

Gau (01-16-2008), surfinguy360 (10-26-2007)

Thanks

I used the "iDemocracy installer app fix" and it fixed it right away.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thanks watergun, that method worked great for me.

Gau
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thumbs up This works
    I used the step by step process set out in the URL...and hats off to Sirjustin1!!! it is working like a charm....thanks a lot. P.S. anyone using this should first also ensure that they have installed BSD subsystem application on thier iphone which is available in the system categories in your existing installer.

Quote Originally Posted by watergun View Post
    I also had this problem and managed to fix it by following the solution posted here. But, I use ssh to edit copy, edit and paste back the LocalPackages.plist.