Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Dual Boot Hackintosh with Windows 7

Default Dual Boot Hackintosh with Windows 7
    Hackintosh ASUS EEE PC 1005HAB Dual Boot with Windows 7

What you need:
    Installed MacOSX (For help in installing it on the 1005HAB/HA, go here: 13mx Guide to Installing Snow Leopard On EEE PC)
    8 gig USB Drive
    PC running Windows. Any version. I used Windows 7 Pro x64
    Windows 7 Set up Files (Just open the Windows 7 iso with PowerISO and select all the files and drag them into a folder on your desktop. Or if you have the disc, your fine)
    EasyBCD (Download on your new Windows machine)

Note: I wrote this guide with SL 10.6.4 already installed on my ASUS 1005HAB.

First step:
    Plug in your USB drive to your Windows PC

Go to: start-type "cmd" than hit CTRL+ALT+ENTER

Type these commands:
    1. DISKPART (click yes when administrative thing pops up)
    2. LIST DISK (it'll show all the storage devices on your computer. Find your USB device. Mine is Disk 3 7681 MB)
    3. SELECT DISK # (Mine is DISK 3, so I will type "SELECT DISK 3" without the quotes)
    4. CLEAN
    5. CREATE PARTITION PRIMARY
    6. SELECT PARTITION 1
    7. ACTIVE
    8. FORMAT FS=NTFS (It'll take around 20 mins or so)
    9. ASSIGN
    10. EXIT

DO NOT CLOSE OUT OF COMMAND PROMPT
    Load your Windows 7 disc either in your disc drive or mount it.

11. Type: D: CD BOOT and hit enter. (Where “D” is your DVD/virtual drive letter.)
    12. Type: CD BOOT and hit enter.
    13. BOOTSECT.EXE /NT60 H: (Where "H" is your USB Jump Drive)

Than open your mounted/inserted Windows 7 disc and click and select all the file and move them onto your USB Jump Drive.

After that's done, Your USB drive is all ready.

Second Step:
    Now on your Hackintosh
    Go to: GO-Utilities-Disk Utility
    Select your hard drive
    Click Partition
    If everything is grayed out than click the little + under your partition, it'll create another partition than click on that newly NOT YET created partition and select MS-DOS (FAT) name it Windows or whatever you want.
    Click APPLY
    After it's done, Shut down.

Third Step:
    Plug your USB drive in and boot from it (ESC or change your BIOS to boot from USB drive)
    Let it boot
    Click next at your spoke word
    When you get to the "Install Now" Click the "Repair your computer link"
    Click the first radio button (something about tools)
    Click Command Prompt

Type these commands:
    1. diskpart
    2. list disk
    3. select disk (whatever your main hard drive is)
    4. list partition
    5. select partition # (# is your Windows partition, so my case will be "select partition 3")
    6. assign
    7. active
    8. exit

(NOTE, This is because if you already have Snow Leopard installed, Chameleon will boot first. So we marked the Windows partition as the active one only for the installation. After Windows reboots to finish it's installation, it'll return to normal.)

Select your Windows partition. You may get an error saying it needs to be formated. Select options and click format, it'll format it to NTFS.
    Than install.
    After install, it'll restart. Don't remove your USB drive until Windows is fully installed and you're looking at the desktop.

ALMOST DONE!

Last Step:
    Download and run EasyBCD
    Go to Add New Entry
    Click the Mac tab and select MBR from the Mose drop down arrow and name it whatever you want.
    Click Add Entry

Reboot and you should see your two operating systems!

You now have a PC dual booting with Windows and MacOSX!!

`````````````````````````````````````````````````` `````````````````````````````````````````````````` ````````````
    ISSUES:

You'll see the Windows boot loader pop up first. If you choose Windows, you'll go to Windows. If you choose Mac OS X, you'll go to Chameleon and you might see a NTFS partition which if you go to the NTFS partition in Chameleon, It'll loop you back to the Windows BL. But obviously, select the Mac partition, you'll boot into Mac.

Mac will gray out the Windows partition in Disk Utilities, ONLY IF YOU INSTALLED NTFS-3G. You CAN install Windows this way, but Mac will want nothing to do with your Windows partition.

`````````````````````````````````````````````````` `````````````````````````````````````````````````` ````````````
    CUSTOMIZATION:

If you want to customize Chameleon, Go to: GO-Computer-YOUR HARD DRIVE-Extra-Themes and swap out an image with the same file name.

To change the time out setting in Chameleon, Go to: GO-Computer-YOUR HARD DRIVE-Extra-com.apple.Boot.plist
    It'll look like this:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
    <!DOCTYPE plist PUBLIC "-//Apple//DTD PLIST 1.0//EN" "http://www.apple.com/DTDs/PropertyList-1.0.dtd">
    <plist version="1.0">
    <dict>
    <key>Kernel</key>
    <string>mach_kernel</string>
    <key>Timeout</key>
    <string>5</string>

Notice the line that says: <string>5</string>

Change that number to how ever long, in seconds, you want it to be.
    Last edited by eightydee; 04-16-2011 at 05:07 PM. Reason: Easier Way

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eightydee For This Useful Post:

DrunkenMenace (12-20-2010), RONZO77 (04-27-2011)

Nice write up man, I am going to look into doing this in a couple of days.

Took me a while to figure it out but once I did, It was smooth sailing. Thanks for your guide!

Also would like to show you guys THIS/ site to download lite versions or programs. Like such as Google Chrome, Open Office, VLC Player, a huge selection. Check it.
    Last edited by eightydee; 12-08-2010 at 12:00 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default Tip
    Excellent guide, forgot to thank you for this when i did this weeks ago.

I also installed the boot camp utility from the SL dvd on the windows 7 partition, reinstalled the asus sound driver (it changes the realtek audio driver), then rebooted.

Now i can use the mac partition from windows 7.
    Last edited by DrunkenMenace; 12-20-2010 at 06:11 PM.

how do I make the boot loader look nice like the chemelon boot loader looks before dual booted with win 7?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I haven't found a way round that yet, so until I work it out I've changed the timeout to 2 seconds, and make the osx partition the default so the boot screen isn't showing that long, and still boots the mac by default.

Hope that makes sense, I've had a few beers!

It's all about editing theme.plist. You can change the resolution and time. I created a custom boot loader. I'll upload it for you guys. Just replace the Default theme with my Default theme. It's very easy to customize.

Edit your theme.plist to change the timing, resolution and what not. To use my bootloader, which is pretty much basic, Grey with Apple for Mac OSX and the Windows symbol as (you guessed it) Windows. Go to: Go-YOUR HDD-Extra-Themes and replace the Default folder with the one I uploaded here. Than if you want to change other settings, scroll down to theme.plist and open with TextEdit or whatever.

If you guys creating one, please share.

Hope you guys like!

Download:
    Default Custom Bootloader

Bootloader:

Loading Screen:

Pictures aren't the best, Took them on my iPhone.

This is the forum I found when doing this:
    [Chameleon Artwork
    Last edited by eightydee; 12-28-2010 at 04:59 PM.

I used your files, but when I first boot I still just get the default black screen asking what OS i want to put into. Do I have to change something in EasyBCD?

Thanks

^I got my little acer aspire one netbook to quad boot Ubuntu 10.04, Windows Xp, Windows 7, and Mac os x 10.5.7. The hardest part was the dumb bootloaders cuz I had to use multiple guides to try to keep them all as active and to
    have chameleon as the primary bootloader. I ran into problems having ubuntu recognize in the chameleon bootloader so I had to find another guide for it.... ~I wish booting multiple systems could be easier, but anyway does anyone know how to delete a partition on the chameleon or (hide) it? I tried editing the boot.plist but it didnt work

Quote Originally Posted by 13mx View Post
    I used your files, but when I first boot I still just get the default black screen asking what OS i want to put into. Do I have to change something in EasyBCD?
    You know what, I realized what I did differently. I deleted my Windows partition and so when my bootloader comes up, the Windows icon is just sitting there with nothing behind it. I did plan on putting Windows back on actually tomorrow. But there is the other dilemma is Windows will like to use it's bootlader than we use EasyBCD which will.. Sorry, just thinking about loud. I'll run tests tomorrow. I don't want to give you worthless information. Rather I screw up than you guys. I'll edit add my details tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by indyracer05 View Post
    ^I got my little acer aspire one netbook to quad boot Ubuntu 10.04, Windows Xp, Windows 7, and Mac os x 10.5.7. The hardest part was the dumb bootloaders cuz I had to use multiple guides to try to keep them all as active and to
    have chameleon as the primary bootloader. I ran into problems having ubuntu recognize in the chameleon bootloader so I had to find another guide for it.... ~I wish booting multiple systems could be easier, but anyway does anyone know how to delete a partition on the chameleon or (hide) it? I tried editing the boot.plist but it didnt work
    Umm, perhaps deleting the Ubuntu file system image (whatever it may be) in your Default folder where Chameleon stores images. So, it could still be there than you could hop into Mac OS and delete that partition if you haven't already.

I came into that when I was messing around with the images in my Default folder. Perhaps it'll work for you. Not guaranteeing anything but that's just what I came across.
    Last edited by eightydee; 01-02-2011 at 06:23 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

I have my Hackintosh built and set up with snow leopard and I am now trying to run windows 7 off of another hard disk that i installed.
    attempting this tutorial, when I try to list disk, my xp laptop does not even list any other flash drive i plug in... i have the windows 7 disc, is there any other way to install windows to a second hard disk? or is there a fix for my laptop not recognizing the flash drives?

Quote Originally Posted by bizqwik View Post
    I have my Hackintosh built and set up with snow leopard and I am now trying to run windows 7 off of another hard disk that i installed.
    attempting this tutorial, when I try to list disk, my xp laptop does not even list any other flash drive i plug in... i have the windows 7 disc, is there any other way to install windows to a second hard disk? or is there a fix for my laptop not recognizing the flash drives?

Umm, is your laptop older? Perhaps it doesn't boot from USB? Umm, When I went threw this guide, realized I made a few mistakes. Just hold on about few a minuets and I'll run threw this guide and tell you what mistake I made. I have to remake a Windows 7 USB. I made a unintended install and THAT was a BAD idea. Plus, I downloaded a NTFS thing for OSX. :/ I'll rewrite the guide. Sorry for any headaches!
    --Despite all my rage, I'm still just a rat in a cage--

Thank you very much!!!! I had the snow leopard setup now for two months and finally got the nerve to give it a try and thanks to you got it on the first try!!!! Thanks so much

Hey I'm glad it worked for you! I did figure out how to skip the Windows Boot Loader so you use Chameleon boot loader to select Mac, Windows or Linux. But for some reason when you flag the Mac OS partition, Windows goes all suicidal. The only way to boot Windows is you have to have the Windows USB stick in. THEE weirdest thing. I've been searching the net for a solution but no go.

Soon I will update this for triple boot. Still want to get it down before telling how I did it.
    --Despite all my rage, I'm still just a rat in a cage--

Hey there,

I am instaling Windows & as I type this, in my second partition. I am using the retail copy I have (upgrade version) and I am doing a clen instal. I am not sure if this has been addressed already or if it will create any conflicts but I will post later hwat issues I may find.

I am not sure how the boot up process will work, since I want SL to automatically boot up and only do W7 manually. Is there a way?

Thanks!

UPDATE:

OK, so windows 7 installed just fine but now I am unable to boot up with SL at all. In fact, out of the 160GB hard drive, I partitioned it and saved 20GB for W7 and 140GB for MAC OS. The think is, the 140GB has dissapeared and I am unable to find it anywhere. Not even in the BIOS.

Does anyone have a clue?

NEWEST UPDATE:

Alright eveyone, I was able to acomplish what I wanted, the way I wanted it. I managed to solve my problem with the latest version of EasyBCD. Pretty much, by having a retail copy of the upgrade W7 DVD, I did a clean instal and I am running 2 OS. Both are FAST! except for the darn internal Mic with SL 10.6.5

Oh well..... Anyway, if you have a retial upgrade copy of W7, you can skip all steps eightydee mentioned and fo to the last part (ALMOST DONE!)

Hope it helps anyone.
    Last edited by tostito head; 04-25-2011 at 01:33 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Thanks

Ok, here's how to do it from countless of trial and error. What happens is when you install windows 7, then SL the snow leopard becomes the active partition and vice versa. There is only one active partition at ALL times. It is what boots up your computer. So if you want chameleon bootloader to boot both windows and Mac (like me) after you install snow leopard use a program like the disk management in windows xp and 7 or on the install disk of windows 7 or snow leopard, go to the terminal and type (diskpart) then (select disk #) then (select partition #) and type (active) then exit and restart. This causes that partition that you selected to be active and boot up on your computer(; or you could just use easybcd but personally I like chameleon slot better

Thanks for the suggestion. I know this might be a dumb question but what size is camelion on your disk iam guessing 200mb. Does this sound right? I don't wanna mess up and not have a bootable device!

To give u a better Idea of what I got going on. I installed Mac os, then I did the dual boot option with Windows 7. I am using easy bcd for booting both. Thanks to this awesome guide! In windows my disk list partition looks like this
    Partition1 primary 200mb 512 B
    Partition2 primary 372gb 200 mb
    Partition3 primary 128mb 372gb
    Partition4 primary 92gb 372gb
    I would guess # 1 is chameleon but I would like a second or third opinion!!
    Last edited by RONZO77; 04-26-2011 at 10:06 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Just starting the process! Wish me luck! soon i will update!

Default triple boot...
    I just did the Asus 1005HAB to OSX and I am looking to do an Ubuntu dual boot and possibly windows later. Is there an issue why you shouldn't or can't use the boot camp app that is already in Snow Leopard?

triple boot is awesome i got windows xp mac and ubuntu running side by side

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast