Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Asus 1005HAB Netbook Hackintosh Guide

Default Asus 1005HAB Netbook Hackintosh Guide
    So I bought a new Asus 1005hab at Best Buy Last week for $319. I know you can find them cheaper online, I have seen them for $225. I bought mine at best buy because I had a gift card and a 10% off coupon. So all I paid out of my pocket was $35.

Well lets begin shall we. Installed this on my netbook in a couple of hours, Just follow this guide and pay attention to what you are doing, and you will be fine.

Install Snow Leopard 10.6 Guide
    This guide is for installing OS X Snow Leopard onto a Asus Eee PC 1005HA Netbook with 2 Gig Ram and 1 Gig Ram

What's Working

100% Working OS X RETAIL Netbook
    CPU with Hyperthreading
    Sleep ( Closing the lid, Return with any key )
    Automatic Sleep
    Power Button
    Sound ( Internal speakers and output )
    Microphone ( internal mic and input )
    Graphics with QE/CI and VGA out
    Screen Brightness ( FN + F5,F6 )
    Volume Up,Down,Mute ( With the use of Spark )
    Camera ( Photo Booth and Skype )
    Battery Indicator Fully Working ( I have a guide for 1Gig Ram users )
    SD Card Reader
    Wifi and Ethernet

Thing's you will need to install Snow Leopard

Retail Copy of OS X Snow Leopard DVD
    The CoopDaVille Snow Leopard Kit ( Download Here )
    OS X Snow Leopard 10.6.4 Combo Update ( Download Here )
    Vol. Shortcut Keys Kext File ( In My Kit )
    Asus Eee PC 1005HA Netbook
    1 USB Drive, Either USB Flash Drive or USB Harddrive 8 Gig or bigger
    1 USB Drive, Either USB Flash Drive or USB Harddrive 64 mb or bigger ( To transfer Install Kit)
    A real Apple Computer running OS X
    A USB Keyboard and Mouse

ON THE SMALLER USB DRIVE COPY MY INSTALL PACK TO IT FOR LATER USE

Creat The USB Installer ( Min 8 Gig USB DRIVE )

(On a Real Apple Computer Running OS X )

1. Mount your RETAIL Snow Leopard DVD
    2. Launch your Disk Utility and select your USB Drive
    3. Select the PARTITON TAB and choose 1 Partiton, Click OPTIONS choose GUID ( Guid Partition Table ), Use MAC OS EXTENDED JOURNALED as the format, then Apply ( This will take about a min or 2 to format the USB DRIVE )

4. Click The RESTORE TAB, Click and drag your Snow Leopard DVD to the SOURCE and Click and drag your USB Drive to the DESTINATION, click Restore at the bottom of the screen. Takes a little bit of time so grab a set )

5. Launch the MYHACK INSTALLER ( from my install kit ) BECAREFUL on the DESTINATION CHOOSE YOUR USB DRIVE and press install

6. Browse the USB DRIVE ( The one you just made ) and you should see a folder called EXTRA, and inside this folder there is a folder called EXTENSIONS OPEN IT UP, Now BROWSE the SMALLER USB DRIVE WITH MY KIT ON IT, You will see a FOLDER CALLED SYSTEM open it Inside that folder there is another folder called LIBRARY open it and another folder called EXTENSIONS, copy all the KEXT FILES and paste them in the USB INSTALLER WINDOW THAT YOU LEFT OPEN after it finishes copying close all windows

7. ( THE SMALLER USB DRIVE ) Browse this USB DRIVE and CLICK on EXTRA copy these two files dst.aml and the com.apple.Boot.plist, Now BROWSE your USB INSTALLER DRIVE and CLICK ON EXTRA paste the two files you copied. Close all windows

Installing OS X Snow Leopard Onto Your Asus EeePC 1005HA Netbook

1. Plug your USB KEYBOARD and MOUSE in
    2. Plug Your USB INSTALLER DRIVE into your USB PORT CLOSEST TO THE POWER PORT and TURN IT ON AND TAP THE ESC KEY

3. Choose your usb port to boot from
    4. Chameleon BOOT LOADER will now show up, press any key to abort the AUTO LOAD, Select your USB INSTALLER DRIVE and press ENTER

5. In less then 2 mins you should be greeted with the Language Selection Screen Select your Language

6. At the top you need to click on Utility, then Disk Utility

7. Select your INTERNAL HARD DRIVE and choose 1 PARTITION, CLICK on Options choose GUID click ok, Format needs to be MAC EXTENDED JOURNALED then Click Restore

8. Close Disk Utility and select your INTERNAL DRIVE
    9. Click Customize, ( This is your choice ) Select if you want printer support, Extra Languages. ( YOU NEED TO CHECK THESE ) ROSETTA and QUICK TIME and press OK

10. Click Install ( NOTE - I have heard of people getting hung up around the 11 min - 2 min LEFT its ok just power down your netback and go to FIRST BOOT. If you don't hang up and you get the INSTALL FAILED SCREEN, don't worry it didn't fail go ahead also to FIRST BOOT ) Install takes a little bit so sit back and enjoy the wait!

FIRST BOOT

1. TAP ESC as the netback is powering up
    2. You will see the CHAMELEON SCREEN press any button to abort the AUTO BOOT Select your INTERNAL HARD DRIVE and PRESS ENTER

3. You will be greeted by the BEFORE YOU BEGIN SCREEN, Fill out your INFO(make sure you create a password, you will need it later), when its finished you will be taken to your DESKTOP!!!!!!
    *** DONT REBOOT UNTIL I TELL YOU TO REBOOT ***
    *** UNPLUG YOUR USB KEYBOARD AND PLUGIN YOUR SMALL USB DRIVE AND COPY THE KIT ONTO YOUR DESKTOP ***
    4. Open my KIT and CLICK on the MYHACK INSTALLER
    5. This time you want to select the DESTINATION AS YOUR INTERNAL HARD DRIVE
    6. Open my KIT, Click on EXTRA copy all the file's, Now CLICK on the FINDER select your INTERNAL HARD DRIVE, Click on EXTRA and PASTE the files you copyed from the kit.

7. Open my KIT, Click on SYSTEM,LIBRARY,EXTENSIONS copy all the KEXT FILE'S, Click on FINDER select your INTERNAL HARD DRIVE, CLICK SYSTEM,LIBRARY,EXTENSIONS and PASTE the KEXT FILE'S you just copyed

8. Open my KIT, Click on KEXT HELPER B7, Open my kit CLICK on the FOLDER SOUND, CLICK and drag the kept into the KEXT HELPER B7, enter your password and click INSTALL, Choose INSTALL FOR ALL USERS

9. Close all WINDOWS YOU HAVE OPEN
    *** WE ARE GOING TO RUN PFIX NOW ***

10. Click on your APPLICATIONS, CLICK ON UTILITY, CLICK ON TERMINAL
    11. Type in pfix and press ENTER, ENTER YOUR PASSWORD press ENTER, Select your INTERNAL HARD DRIVE ( should press 1 and ENTER but make sure ) This takes about 5-7 mins.

12. SHUT DOWN YOUR NETBOOK, Click on the APPLE TOP LEFT CORNER, Select SHUT DOWN
    13. REMOVE ALL USB DRIVES AND KEYBOARD AND MOUSE

SECOND BOOT

1. Power On Your Netbook ( DO NOT PRESS ESC )
    2. You will see a DIFFERENT CHAMELEON BOOT LOADER SCREEN ( DONT PRESS ANYTHING IT WILL BOOT BY ITSELF )

3. Everything is working BUT THE WIFI ( We Will INSTALL That In A Min )

*** IF YOUR SMALLER USB DRIVE ISNT 2 GIGS MIN THEN SKIP TO THE WIFI INSTALL ***

UPGRADING TO 10.6.4

***WE NEED TO BACK UP SOME FILES TO THE DESKTOP BEFORE WE START ***

BACKING UP

1. CLICK on FINDER on your DOCK, SELECT your INTERNAL HARD DRIVE, OPEN SYSTEM,LIBRARY,EXTENSIONS CLICK and drag these 2 files to your desktop, AppleIntelGMA950 and AppleIntegratedFrameBuffer ( We will INSTALL these again after we update, The UPDATE will delete these files and we need them to stay the way that they are. )

Installing 10.6.4 INSTALL

*** DO NOT REBOOT UNTIL I TELL YOU TO ***
    1. MOUNT the 10.6.4 COMBO UPDATE and PRESS INSTALL
    *** We are going to replace the mach_kernel ***
    2. OPEN MY KIT, OPEN THE Mach_Kernel FOLDER, DRAG the mach_kernel_atom file onto your desktop
    3. OPEN the TERMINAL
    *** ENTER THE FOLLOW INFO THE SAME WAY I HAVE IT, THIS IS A VERY IMPORTANT STEP ***

1. sudo -s
    2. ENTER YOUR PASSWORD
    3. cd /
    4. mv mach_kernel mach_kernel_1062
    5. cp ~/Desktop/mach_kernel_atom /
    6. mv /mach_kernel_atom mach_kernel
    7. chown 0:0 mach_kernel

*** NOW CLICK RESTART ON THE 10.6.4 COMBO INSTALLER WINDOW, It will ask you do you want to stop TERMINAL, CLICK YES ***

INSTALLING WIFI

1. OPEN my KIT, OPEN KEXT HELPER B7, OPEN MY KIT, Open my WIFI FOLDER, CLICK AND DRAG the IO80211Family.kext file to the KEXT HELPER B7, Enter your PASSWORD and click INSTALL
    *** STEP 2 IS IF YOU INSTALLED THE 10.6.4 UPDATE COMBO ***

2. OPEN MY KIT, OPEN KEXT HELPER B7, DRAG YOUR TO FILES THAT YOU BACKED UP ONTO YOUR DESKTOP INTO THE THE KEXT HELPER B7, ENTER YOUR PASSWORD, CLICK INSTALL

3. CLOSE ALL WINDOWS,
    4. OPEN APPLICATIONS, UTILITY,TERMINAL
    5. Type in pfix and press ENTER, ENTER YOUR PASSWORD press ENTER, Select your INTERNAL HARD DRIVE ( should press 1 and ENTER but make sure ) This takes about 5-7 mins.

6. RESTART YOUR NETBOOK

*** Once you boot into Snow Leopard look on your status bar you should see the Airport Icon indicating that wifi is available ***

Other Things You Might Need To Do

Battery Meter will show an X on Systems with 1 GIG RAM, To fix this you need to edit your DSDT FILE and Change the following CODE

OperationRegion (BIOS, SystemMemory, 0x7F7AE064, 0XFF)
    The above code is what it will look like. ( 2 GIG SYSTEM ) You need to the code to this

OperationRegion (BIOS, SystemMemory, 0X3F7AE064, 0XFF)
    Now the Battery Meter will work on a 1 GIG SYSTEM

Working Vol. MUTE, UP, DOWN HotKeys INSTALL

*** DOWNLOAD FROM THINGS YOU NEED SECTION FROM THIS GUIDE ***
    *** Unzip and put it on your desktop ***

1. OPEN KEXT HELPER B7 ( From My Kit )
    2. Drag the AsusHotKey.kext file from your desktop into KEXT HELPER B7
    3. Enter your password
    4. Click INSTALL
    *** When finished DONT REBOOT ***
    5. Open TERMINAL
    6. Run pfix ( If you need to know how to do this read the guide )
    7. REBOOT
    8. When you see your desktop try out the HotKeys you just installed

****EDIT**********

How to UPDATE TO 10.6.5

This is a guide to update OS X Snow Leopard to 10.6.5

Thing's you will need to upgrade.

CoopDaVille Kit ( [ame="http://www.divshare.com/download/13271779-27d"]Download Here[/ame] )
    Apple 10.6.5 Combo Update ( Download Here )
    10.6.5 Mach Kernel ( [ame="http://www.divshare.com/download/13304481-d70"]Download Here[/ame] )

We need to back up 3 files.

AppleIntelGMA950.kext
    AppleIntelIntegratedFrameBuffer.kext
    IO80211Family.kext

Lets get started!!! Dont restart until I tell you to.

Download and install the 10.6.5 from the link in this guide. After the install is done dont click restart.

1. Copy the mach_kernel from the 10.6.5 Mach Kernel Kit to your dektop
    2. Open the terminal app

Type the following

3. sudo -s
    4. ENTER YOUR ROOT PASSWORD
    5. cd /
    6. mv mach_kernel mach_kernel_1062
    7. cp ~/Desktop/mach_kernel_atom /
    8. mv /mach_kernel_atom mach_kernel
    9. chown 0:0 mach_kernel

Now pull up the 10.6.5 Combo Update window back up and click Restart.

Now that your back to your desktop we need to install the kext files we backed up.

Open the Kext Helper B7 from my kit

Highlight the 3 kext file and drag the into the Kext Helper B7 and enter your password and click install.

Now open terminal, we need to run pfix. After pfix is finished restart your system and your done.
    Last edited by 13mx; 12-09-2010 at 08:07 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 13mx For This Useful Post:

DrunkenMenace (12-06-2010), magic8ball88 (04-16-2011)

Thank you for the guide. I found one kind of like yours but yours seems more in depth. Followed it eveything works with 10.6.4. I couldn't get the hotkeys to work. But truly not a big deal. Have you updated to 10.6.5 yet? I tried before and my trackpad and keyboard wouldn't work but wifi would and vice versa. So I restored to 10.6.4 using your guide. The wifi only works on WEP and WPA. Could see it on WPA-2 but would not connect. That's stock wifi btw. Also love that I can plug in my iPhone and it syncs, Saved me about 2 grand. Bought the ASUS eee pc 1005HAB on newegg for 200 plus the 2 gig stick for 250. Awesome. Thanks!

Also, any thought in dual boot? With Windows? I've done it before with my Dell hackintosh, can remember what exactly program but it worked.
    Last edited by eightydee; 12-04-2010 at 03:16 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

yeah mine is running 10.6.5. When you update you have back up a couple of kexts. You also have replace the atom_kernel. If you want instructions how to update let me know.

I have not messed around with dual booting, but if you get it, let me know what you find out

5. The Following User Says Thank You to 13mx For This Useful Post:

eightydee (12-06-2010)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

This is by far the easiest guide I've used, many thanks!!

I then used this guide to update to 10.6.5

http://www.insanelymac.com/forum/ind...ic=197020&st=0

Still haven't got WiFi working yet though :-(
    Last edited by DrunkenMenace; 12-06-2010 at 07:34 AM.

Have you looked into getting the Dell 1510 mini wireless card? I just got mine from eBay for 18 bucks shipped to me. Should fix it. What kexts did you back-up? Does the battery and everything else work?

Here is my guide to dual booting. Dual Boot Hackintosh with Windows 7
    Everything works, Only problem is need a bigger hard drive. :/

I actually updated to 10.6.5 than re-installed SL than just did to 10.6.4. Trackpad and keyboard wouldn't work or the battery and wifi wouldn't work. I also have the 2 gig stick installed.
    Last edited by eightydee; 12-06-2010 at 09:09 AM.

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to eightydee For This Useful Post:

DrunkenMenace (12-06-2010), RONZO77 (02-20-2011)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I was trying to avoid replacing the card, but I guess I could open it up again, after all I put a 320gb in it days after I bought it lol, I've just completed the dual boot guide too, painless and impressive, I now have a netbook/hacbook!! :-)

Edit - FYI, the battery is fine, reporting 4:05 hrs, which will do for me. I backed up the intelgma950 and integratedbuffer kexts, then reinstalled afterwards.

Glad it worked out for you. Yea, I plan on getting a new hard drive. Any thought in a SSD for these things? I was thinking even triple booting Mac/Windows/Ubuntu since I have a Linux class.

Perhaps I'll try in later tonight and upgrade to 10.6.5 and see how it works. After all, I have my 10.6.4 backed up with Time Machine. Perhaps the new wifi card will fix some problems.

Oh, You get the AsusHotkeys to work?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Oh yeah, forgot about that, have just checked they work seamlessly! What a way to start a 3wk holiday from work! I've just ordered a dell mini wireless card. 17 in the end.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yehHh0GmnU0]YouTube - Taking apart an ASUS Eee PC 1005HA to install a new wireless card OR HARD DRIVE[/ame]

If you need help, I followed this movie. Audio kind of sucks but just crank it up.

Any word on the mic? Can't seem to get it to work.
    Last edited by eightydee; 12-07-2010 at 04:39 PM.

[QUOTEI actually updated to 10.6.5 than re-installed SL than just did to 10.6.4. Trackpad and keyboard wouldn't work or the battery and wifi wouldn't work. I also have the 2 gig stick installed.[/QUOTE]

Try reinstalling the kexts using kext_helper, just make sure you run pfix afterwards. Also you shouldn't have to edit the DSDT file to get you battery meter working since you have 2GB of RAM. Thats strange that your having those problems.

Are you using the ASUS 1005HA or 1005HAB? I have the 1005HAB and everything worked on mine right away. I am using the stock Wifi Card too, the only thing that doesn't work with Wifi is that it wont connect if you are using WPA, it only works with WEP.

I want to find a fix for the Hot Keys too. Mine work for volume and screen brightness, but if the computer goes to sleep, once you wake it up the hotkeys no longer work until you reboot.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to 13mx For This Useful Post:

mcpdavid (12-09-2010)

Hey thanks for the guide

Can you make one for updating to 10.6.5 though? Like a detailed one too cause I'm a noob and this guide helped me get it all working correctly. Thanks!

Sure thing

OS X 10.6.5 Combo Upgrade Guide
    This is a guide to update OS X Snow Leopard to 10.6.5

Thing's you will need to upgrade.

CoopDaVille Kit ( Download Here )
    Apple 10.6.5 Combo Update ( Download Here )
    10.6.5 Mach Kernel ( Download Here )

We need to back up 3 files.

AppleIntelGMA950.kext
    AppleIntelIntegratedFrameBuffer.kext
    IO80211Family.kext

Lets get started!!! Dont restart until I tell you to.

Download and install the 10.6.5 from the link in this guide. After the install is done dont click restart.

1. Copy the mach_kernel from the 10.6.5 Mach Kernel Kit to your dektop
    2. Open the terminal app

Type the following

3. sudo -s
    4. ENTER YOUR ROOT PASSWORD
    5. cd /
    6. mv mach_kernel mach_kernel_1062
    7. cp ~/Desktop/mach_kernel_atom /
    8. mv /mach_kernel_atom mach_kernel
    9. chown 0:0 mach_kernel

Now pull up the 10.6.5 Combo Update window back up and click Restart.

Now that your back to your desktop we need to install the kext files we backed up.

Open the Kext Helper B7 from my kit

Highlight the 3 kext file and drag the into the Kext Helper B7 and enter your password and click install.

Now open terminal, we need to run pfix. After pfix is finished restart your system and your done.
    Last edited by 13mx; 12-09-2010 at 08:03 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

[quote=13mx;5640080]
    Try reinstalling the kexts using kext_helper, just make sure you run pfix afterwards. Also you shouldn't have to edit the DSDT file to get you battery meter working since you have 2GB of RAM. Thats strange that your having those problems.

Are you using the ASUS 1005HA or 1005HAB? I have the 1005HAB and everything worked on mine right away. I am using the stock Wifi Card too, the only thing that doesn't work with Wifi is that it wont connect if you are using WPA, it only works with WEP.

I want to find a fix for the Hot Keys too. Mine work for volume and screen brightness, but if the computer goes to sleep, once you wake it up the hotkeys no longer work until you reboot.

Yea, I have the 1005HAB also. I'm not having those issues but thats when I updated to 6.5 everything is working well on the 6.4 cept the same issue you having with the hot keys. Also something with the mic. The VoodooHDA works but it seems to not want to save my config. Not an huge issue. I also would like to upgrade to 6.5 all working. I'll look into it a little later also.

Everything working good on the 10.6.5?

I need a bigger hard drive!
    Last edited by eightydee; 12-09-2010 at 08:08 PM.

yeah everything works for me on 10.6.5.

Are you going to get a SSD for it? If so let me know if makes it faster? I want to do the same with mine. I just ordered a 2 gig stick.

I also got an invitation to be part of Googles Crome OS Pilot Program. So I am Stoked about that. They are sending me a Notebook called the CR-48 with the Chome OS on it to test and send them reports, I should get it an a few days.

Quote Originally Posted by 13mx View Post
    yeah everything works for me on 10.6.5.

Are you going to get a SSD for it? If so let me know if makes it faster? I want to do the same with mine. I just ordered a 2 gig stick.

I don't know yet about the SSD, to much and still to early with the technology. I mean, I bet I could find one from a friend and see how it works out. But I was thinking about a 640 Samsung. Seems to be pretty decent.

2 gigs makes a big difference in these things. Ordered the fastest DDR2 ram you can get for these things. DDR2 800MHz G-Skill 40 bucks on Newegg.

Just upgraded to 6.5. Runs beautifully. Even kept my hacked CleanMyMac
    Last edited by eightydee; 12-09-2010 at 10:48 PM.

Thanks for the guide. Followed the steps with the same 1005HA from BB and 10.6.3 retail, but after the initial boot loader it goes to a grey apple screen and hangs. With boot loader -v -f options, it shows the steps loading but then goes to a black screen.

Any thoughts?

Default same issue
    My install hangs too. stuck on grey apple logo.

Tried to install with Netbook Bootmaker just to see if it would get any farther...still panics. Panic showed as (cpu 0 caller 0x2a96f6) "version mis-match between kernel and CPU".

What exact steps did you guys do? Did you restore the SL disc properly? Does this happen when booted from the USB? Go back and try it again and follow the steps to the T. Than post the exact steps you've done. Hope it works for you guys!

Followed steps 1-7 creating installer as written with an 8gb usb flash and no problems. Followed steps 1-4 of the install and hangs with grey apple logo screen as before. (HW is ASUS 1005HAB, Bios v02.58, core ver 1401)

In between these trys, was able to make two changes to the usb installer 1) remove sleepenable.kext from extra folder and 2) replace mach_kernel (hidden file in finder window) with renamed mach_kernel_atom from the kit and start the SL install but would fail at the very end. Tried still going to first boot of new install on HDD, but back to grey apple logo. Seems so close...

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast