Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: MSI Wind / Advent 4221 Running OSX86 - EASY!

Thanks

Default MSI Wind / Advent 4221 Running OSX86 - EASY!
    so i went to currys today to buy the aspire one. only had the display model left, in blue, and wouldn't offer discount. it was turned off, and when i turned it on, it would boot. and they wouldn't take 50 for it so i left.

decided on getting the Advent 4221 (same as MSI wind) which is not much different than the aspire one, expect the extra couple inches on the screen make a hell of a difference.

it weighs nothing and is ultra super portable, and has all the functionality of a real macbook after install except sound/mic through the jacks 9do get sound through laptops speaker) and wifi (buying a dell 1490 wireless card from ebay for 15 and replacing fixes this completely)

my wifi card is ordered and should be here in a day or so, until then, i am using it via ethernet and it is amazing. the first time i have touched a 'macbook', which is what it is effectively running as, and it is quality.

this machine cost me 279, and it was an absolute bargain.

i followed this install guide:

Paul's complete guide to installing OSX Leopard on your MSI Wind / Advent 4211 - MoDaCo

you can't go wrong with it.

if you are looking for a cheap macbook air, this is your ticket. even if apple brought out a mini notemacbook type thing, this will beat it (its so cheap!)

heres some pics
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -28092008056.jpg   -28092008057.jpg   -28092008058.jpg  
    The Original Autobot of MMi
    Jesus couldn't turn into a fire engine

LOL -> "Winterboard does not interfere at all with my performance."

Suck it up, Sucker

Thanks

UPDATE:

just installed final cut pro, and it installed fine and runs allot better than i was expecting (its actually useable!!)

just looked at the specs of the macbook air an there definetely isnt over 900 difference between the 2

UPDATE 2:

its definitely an Advent 4211, not a 4221.

Reeko <--- Idiot
    Last edited by reeko; 09-28-2008 at 06:47 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Suck it up, Sucker

Thanks

Nice! Can you update through the software update? What about the webcam does that work or should i say the iSight
    iPhone 4, Yellow Custom Glass, 32GB, 4.3.3, non-working home button. And a prototype iPhone 4 White.
    Main Computer:MacBook Unibody Plastic, 2.26GHZ, 4GB RAM, 250x2GB, Red glowing Apple.
    Water Damaged iPhone? Don't throw it away; iPhone Motherboard washing tutorial!!! (PM me I will do it for you)

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by marsman478 View Post
    Nice! Can you update through the software update? What about the webcam does that work or should i say the iSight
    yep webcam works great! (saw this rig running on a youtube vid)... this is what my christmas break project will be!
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

Thanks

everything works out the box except wifi and audio/mic jacks. swapping the wifi card is easy and costs 15 then it works as a macbook, recognised natively and people are working on the audio fix right now - although a usb audio drive for mic in and audio out do the trick for now.

i am running 10.5.5 right now (latest software update), however, my copy of xp was installed on the hard drive, no restore disks so cant get xp back, but dont want it anyhows.

a an extra gb of ram is only 10 aswell! and you can get a 320GB hard drive inside one of these aswell!

they are like really cheap and better macbook airs

i installed at 10.5.2, used a combo update to 10.5.3, standard apple update to 10.5.4 then had to run a command in terminal and standard update to 10.5.5 and then close the command off, got links to the guides if anyones interested
    Last edited by reeko; 10-09-2008 at 12:31 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Suck it up, Sucker

Thanks

I am going to get a WInd like tomorow so I will definitley do this!
    iPhone 4, Yellow Custom Glass, 32GB, 4.3.3, non-working home button. And a prototype iPhone 4 White.
    Main Computer:MacBook Unibody Plastic, 2.26GHZ, 4GB RAM, 250x2GB, Red glowing Apple.
    Water Damaged iPhone? Don't throw it away; iPhone Motherboard washing tutorial!!! (PM me I will do it for you)

Thanks

Before you install os x make a back up of your xp drive in case you want to dual boot or install xp again in the future, or you can just download a piratedcopy of xp in the future.

Ive got it hooked up to a 37" samsung tv right now at 1920 x 1080 and it looks real good, just as good as my mac mini does at home on my 32" tv. im gonna be selling my mac mini now that i can watch movies from my tv through this.

only thing that annoys me = sound. the audio jack doesnt work unless you buy a usb sound drive. just gonna buy one now

Suck it up, Sucker

Thanks

Take a little loooook (pic doesnt really do it justice):
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails -photo.jpg  
    Last edited by reeko; 10-24-2008 at 05:27 PM.

Suck it up, Sucker