+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Leopard 10.5.2 VMware Installation Guide

is a discussion within the

Installation

forums, a part of the

OS X 86

section;
Install guide here: PCWiz Computer - [Mac OSx86] Leopard 10.5.2 VMware Installation Guide Full credit and lots of props to PCWiz! I can confirm this works; I tried it awhile
    iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Wink Leopard 10.5.2 VMware Installation Guide
    Install guide here: PCWiz Computer - [Mac OSx86] Leopard 10.5.2 VMware Installation Guide

Full credit and lots of props to PCWiz!

I can confirm this works; I tried it awhile back. And for those that are lazy, there is a premade image available if you wish... but lets not discuss where, shall we?

What you'll need:
    * Intel or AMD SSE3 processor (733MHz minimum)
    * Leopard Flat Image OSx86
    * VMware Workstation 6 or VMware Server
    * Windows 32bit or 64bit or a distro of Linux that can run VMware
    * Atleast 512MB of RAM, 2GB is recommended
    * An already working Tiger VMware install on VMware Workstation (use this guide to get that working)
    * PC EFI v8 ZIP (download here)
    * ToH 9.1.0 Kernel (download here )
    * If you want to install 10.5.2 you also need the Kalyway 10.5.2 Combo Updater (from TPB), the kalyway 10.5.2 kernels mpkg (from here ), netkas's 9.2.0 SpeedStep kernel (download here ), mac.nub's SMBIOS27 Default (download here), and the Leopard Graphics Update 1.0 from Apple (download here )
    * qemu-img.exe 0.8.1 with imgover4g fix if you are using Windows (download here )
    * qemu-img.exe 0.9.1 if you are using Linux (download here , comes with a bunch of other tools but qemu-img is the one you need)
    * About 20GB of free HD space
    If you like or found helpful anything I have said, please click that nice little Thanks button!

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ksong12 For This Useful Post:

elr0y7 (09-03-2008), mahdi3215 (10-19-2009), msboy2011 (09-04-2008)

iPhone? More like MyPhone elr0y7's Avatar
    Thanks

Hackintosh noob here. So whats the difference between this method and just installing OSx86 as a boot image or whatever? Are there any disadvantages I should know of?
    "Spaceships don't come equipped with rear view mirrors..." -Andre Benjamin the 3000th

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I'm sorry, I don't really get what you mean as a boot image? This is on VMWare - a virtual machine running within Windows/Mac/Linux.

VMware: Virtualization via Hypervisor, Virtual Machine & Server Consolidation - VMware
    If you like or found helpful anything I have said, please click that nice little Thanks button!

Thanks

Yeah I understand what a virtual machine is but isn't the other method to load OSX straight from your computer's boot-up rather than through a program? My question is whether the virtual machine method is better, worse or the equal in it's performance.
    Last edited by elr0y7; 09-03-2008 at 06:21 PM.
    "Spaceships don't come equipped with rear view mirrors..." -Andre Benjamin the 3000th

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

VMWare workstation is not free, but gives you the ability to create virtual machines. With the player, you can only use pre-built images.

A virtual machine is MUCH slower; especially when talking about Mac OSX. It is not nearly as responsive, but you do get to run at the same time.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ksong12 For This Useful Post:

elr0y7 (09-04-2008)

Thanks

Ok, good to know, thank you.

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

No problem - glad I could help

Thanks

That's what I don't like about VMWare- the speed, especially on my mediocre setup.
    Native is the way to go!
    [RIGHT][LEFT][IMG]http://lookpic.com/i/470/QsIbAobp.jpeg[/IMG]
    [/LEFT][QUOTE]Microsoft owns the internet through Hotmail. The .HTML is short for Hotmail, so all .HTML files are MS files.[/QUOTE][URL="http://twitter.com/dale1v"][SIZE=2][COLOR=Cyan][I]twitter.com/dale1v[/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]
    [/RIGHT]

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Agreed. But it can still be useful for some quick things if you don't need power or speed, but you don't want to bother rebooting.