Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Please help! Need advice on which 1-2TB desktop drives to buy on Monday!

Thanks

Question Please help! Need advice on which 1-2TB desktop drives to buy on Monday!
    Hi everyone! I am in the market for two additional 1-2TB drives. I read so many horrible reviews about the 1TB Seagate Barracuda ST31000528AS(+Q for the Apple drives?) that is in the iMac for those who order 1TB systems. Why would Apple choose this drive if it really has such a significant chance of failing? Yes, there were plenty of 5-star reviews as well, but it's annoying that a significant number of these drives seem to die within only a few months of usage and sometimes reviewers report their drives failing after seeing only light usage.

What should I do? Am I really in a unique situation, because I am simply not used to ANY problems with hard drives. I kid you not. During the past eleven (11) years, I have used almost exclusively the Hitachi Travelstar 2.5" notebook drives and they all saw a LOT of usage, including even some rough handling at times. Not one of them has ever caused me any problems. I'll be disappointed the very first time that one of these drives show only the slightest bit of oddness, because I am simply used to everything always working just as advertised.

Given that history, should I maybe get Hitachi 3.5" desktop "DeskStar" drives? Then there is Western Digital (WD). Again, during my last 11 years with notebooks, the (very) few WD drives that I had also gave me zero problems.

Which of these, or other brands for that matter, can you recommend that I buy with confidence. I'm only considering 1TB, 1.5TB, and 2TB drives w/ at least 32MB of cache, running at 7,200rpm, which probably applies to all drives except for the 2TB ones. I will need two, both of which will likely be external drives.

Thanks so much for helping me with this! I need to buy these pretty much first thing on Monday morning, so I have only this weekend to get a little more educated.

Thanks again!
    (2011) Mac mini Core i5-2520M 2.5GHz-3.2GHz (Turbo Boost) | 8GB DDR3 RAM | AMD Radeon HD 6630M | 27" LED Cinema Display | 6TB GRAID | 3TB Time Capsule 4th gen | iPhone 4 | iPad 2 | Apple TV 2nd gen. | Magic Trackpad | I surrender...

Hitachi have great HDD but they are load and they tend to run hotter then normal. Western Digital have great HDD. Both companies produce great HDD. I have used my Segate 1TB HDD ( that was on the recall ) for over 3 years and never had any problems with it. I think people forget that heat is the source of the problem. I keep my HDD's temperatures at 25c to 35c. All the HDD out today are great but get what you think will work best for you. Reviews are great but I would judge by personal experience.

If your going external get the Western Digital Green version 2TB. These HDD produce less heat and will Last you longer. Sorry I some how missed you were going to use the HDD in a external casing.
    Last edited by XFaega; 07-24-2010 at 11:15 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Livin the iPhone Life mortopher's Avatar
    Thanks

I have a WD external TB as well as a Verbatim external TB. The WD is older and I have worked the hell out of it but it's worked pretty well. I did have one problem where out of nowhere I lost all write permissions to it so I had to buy the Verbatim HD (needed one anyways as the WD was about 90% full). One downside to it is that it does go to sleep a lot more frequent than other HDs I have had and it takes a bit longer than I would prefer to get up and running.

As for the Verbatim HD, I haven't had a single issue with it and would certainly recommend it over the WD but I am concerned about the lifespan of it as it runs significantly hotter than any other external drive I have spent time using.