Hey guys,

Well I have a Mac that I bought in 2007.

I'm running 10.4.11 , I have a 2.8 GHz Intel based. Core 2 Duo to be exact. I also upgraded my RAM to 4 gigs.

Anyways, I have a surround sound that plugs into my headphone port in the back via RCAs hooked in the back of the receiver to a 3.5mm regular headphone jack. It has been running strong for about 2 years; I was consolidating my wires behind, and I accidentally nudged the switch on the surge protector, so it flickered, and turned off my iMac. Anyways, rebooted - no problem. However, I didn't have sound via surround sound ( keep in mind that the sound was playing while the power was flickered).

So I restart iTunes, and play a track; the sound ONLY comes out from the built-in speakers ( while the surround sound is plugged in ). I grabbed a regular pair of headphones, and plugged them in. The computer makes the noise as if I plugged something in, delay for a few milliseconds, and then continues playing through built-in.

I figured if the sound card or headphone port was shot, when I plugged something in, I wouldn't hear anything at all. But it plays through built-in no matter what I plug into the headphone port.

So,
Is there something that I need to do? Like reset the sound card, or go under preferences and alter something

Any help would be greatly appreciated , guys.

Thanks!

Joey

Edit: Surround sound is functional, as I've plugged my iphone and shuffle to the exact same rca to 3.5mm cord that I was using for my computer.