+ Reply
Results 1 to 20 of 20

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.


Thread: windows 7 on iMac?

is a discussion within the

iMac

forums, a part of the

Desktops

section;
Some says it works, some says it doesn't other say it works and it doesn't at the same time. In an apple discussion forum we can see how the driver
...
  1. #1
    iPhone? More like MyPhone calingasan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    149
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 11 Times in 9 Posts

    Smile windows 7 on iMac?


    Some says it works, some says it doesn't other say it works and it doesn't at the same time. In an apple discussion forum we can see how the driver issues are solved but is it really worth the time since most of windows 7's new feature is a rip off of mac os x.

    If anyone has experience on installing windows 7 on an iMac. I would appreciate a quick step by step how to. i will try it myself next.

    cheers!!!

  2. #2
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    559
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 44 Times in 42 Posts

    Broomhead edit..Be nice or get banned. Honestly. Name one thing that is "stolen" from OSX.
    Last edited by Broomhead; 01-11-2009 at 08:26 AM.

  3. #3
    Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Iowa (ISU for Vet School!)
    Posts
    3,920
    Thanks
    69
    Thanked 310 Times in 264 Posts

    It should just install fine... the new macs are PCs at heart (hardwarewise)
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

    A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

  4. #4
    iPhone? More like MyPhone calingasan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    149
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 11 Times in 9 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by wePhone View Post
    xxxx xxxx xxxx Honestly. Name one thing that is "stolen" from OSX.
    No need to be offensive, and with regards to your question, i'd rather see you google it.

    No offense but here's what I think about windows.


    And here is what I think about you Mr. wePhone

    I sincerely hope the mods ban your dirty mouth.


    Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    It should just install fine... the new macs are PCs at heart (hardwarewise)
    Awesome.
    Last edited by Broomhead; 01-11-2009 at 08:27 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  5. #5
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Posts
    559
    Thanks
    3
    Thanked 44 Times in 42 Posts

    Because you can't back up your claim? Honestly, go sit in a cage.

  6. #6
    Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Iowa (ISU for Vet School!)
    Posts
    3,920
    Thanks
    69
    Thanked 310 Times in 264 Posts

    As an attempt to play devil's advocate, google will most definately lead you to a bunch of fanboy gripes about how Appe OS > Windows OS or vice versa. The fact of the matter is they both borrow enough from one another, but are built fundamentally differently. Any person who can't get over their favoritism is ALWAYS going to have an opinion that is bias. Having owned PCs and MACs I can say the fundamental difference about a MAC is just that it doesn't load all the BS that windows does. PC users who enjoy Linux would probably enjoy OSX just as much (but Linux is free, so it is just a better deal to them). The Apple commercials are all propaganda... I have really seen few that were remotely true, let alone a stretch of the truth. I do admit they are great and worthy of a good chuckle.

    The bottom line is if there was as much stealing involved as people imply there would be MANY MANY more lawsuites, and neither side is interested in any of that. Let's quit being fanboys (on either side) and use what we love and not ridicule those who don't agree with us.

    I will remind you (and I say this with the utmost respect), you ARE the one asking to install Windows 7 on your machine yet have issues with Microsoft? I will warn you that Windows 7 is still in beta, so there may be issues with it, I couldn't say because I haven't yet looked into it.
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    I once prayed to God for an iPhone, but quickly found out He didn't work that way...so I stole an iPhone and prayed for His forgiveness.

    A dog is the only thing on earth that loves you more than you love yourself. - Josh Billings

  7. #7
    iPhone? More like MyPhone calingasan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    149
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 11 Times in 9 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by wePhone View Post
    Because you can't back up your claim? Honestly, go sit in a cage.
    yeah, your such a tough guy we know. but, calm down dude, thats just my opinion. try picking a fight where you cant hide behind your monitor and see what happens.

    Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    As an attempt to play devil's advocate, google will most definately lead you to a bunch of fanboy gripes about how Appe OS > Windows OS or vice versa. The fact of the matter is they both borrow enough from one another, but are built fundamentally differently. Any person who can't get over their favoritism is ALWAYS going to have an opinion that is bias. Having owned PCs and MACs I can say the fundamental difference about a MAC is just that it doesn't load all the BS that windows does. PC users who enjoy Linux would probably enjoy OSX just as much (but Linux is free, so it is just a better deal to them). The Apple commercials are all propaganda... I have really seen few that were remotely true, let alone a stretch of the truth. I do admit they are great and worthy of a good chuckle.

    The bottom line is if there was as much stealing involved as people imply there would be MANY MANY more lawsuites, and neither side is interested in any of that. Let's quit being fanboys (on either side) and use what we love and not ridicule those who don't agree with us.

    I will remind you (and I say this with the utmost respect), you ARE the one asking to install Windows 7 on your machine yet have issues with Microsoft? I will warn you that Windows 7 is still in beta, so there may be issues with it, I couldn't say because I haven't yet looked into it.
    I dont really have issues with microsoft. wePhone's reply just annoyed me. as you are, i have comments on both parties, this just happened to be a thread about imacs so here im on macs side. I'm a microsoft sql developer so i eat and breath microsoft and vista is awesome, its just people dont know how to use it.

    but as you said, we cant deny the fact that both parties have stolen a thing or two from the other and most consumers notice them. consumers like you and me notice similarities between their product and makes comments about our opinion on how the other may or may not have stolen their ideas from each other.

    so sorry if i had offended any fanboy(wePhone). I love my pcs and i love my macs and i specially love modding. have a good one wePhone.
    Last edited by calingasan; 01-11-2009 at 07:33 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  8. #8
    Green Apple nicallen63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Clermont, FL
    Posts
    59
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    I installed Windows 7 on my Macbook recently and i have to say im really diggin it. Its like Vista with a little OS X mixed in (or vice versa if you would prefer)

  9. #9
    iPhone? More like MyPhone calingasan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    149
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 11 Times in 9 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by nicallen63 View Post
    I installed Windows 7 on my Macbook recently and i have to say im really diggin it. Its like Vista with a little OS X mixed in (or vice versa if you would prefer)
    how is the hardware taking it, is everything working?

    Quote Originally Posted by wePhone View Post
    Broomhead edit..Be nice or get banned.
    Thanks Broomhead
    Last edited by calingasan; 01-11-2009 at 06:07 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

  10. #10
    Green Apple nicallen63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Clermont, FL
    Posts
    59
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    It took a little messing around with the drivers to get everything working, but once i got it all set up everything is working wonderfully now.

  11. #11
    iPhone? More like MyPhone calingasan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    149
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 11 Times in 9 Posts

    ill give it a go over the weekend. may i know how much diskspace you partitioned for windows 7

  12. #12
    Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Iowa (ISU for Vet School!)
    Posts
    3,920
    Thanks
    69
    Thanked 310 Times in 264 Posts

    20 gigs should be enough for just playing around. I just installed myself

  13. The Following User Says Thank You to sziklassy For This Useful Post:

    calingasan (01-12-2009)

  14. #13
    Livin the iPhone Life Napoleon_PhoneApart's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Upper Marlboro, MD
    Posts
    1,321
    Thanks
    166
    Thanked 88 Times in 76 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by sziklassy View Post
    I just installed myself
    So how much room did you take up on your hard drive???

  15. #14
    Green Apple nicallen63's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Clermont, FL
    Posts
    59
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 2 Times in 2 Posts

    I used 25 gigs and its more than enough, Windows 7 only takes up about 5 gigs.

  16. #15
    iPhone? More like MyPhone calingasan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    149
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 11 Times in 9 Posts

    My friend at work tried installing it to a dell pc at the office. Maybe he stuffed up or maybe its a bad iso copy, we dont know but its just stuck there on the installer screen for 24hours now. Good to hear that iMac is doing better at it. Lol

  17. #16
    Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Austin, TX
    Posts
    8,265
    Thanks
    819
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

    Your friend should try re-downloading it directly from microsoft as the approved unlimited beta downloads.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  18. #17
    iPhone? More like MyPhone calingasan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    149
    Thanks
    7
    Thanked 11 Times in 9 Posts

    Quote Originally Posted by Poseidon79 View Post
    Your friend should try re-downloading it directly from microsoft as the approved unlimited beta downloads.
    He's got it working, he changed his hard drive and it worked fine(must be bad hard drive). The only problem he has now is with the drivers. He said the old vista drivers doesn't work for his pc.

  19. #18
    What's Jailbreak?
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    1
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    I have windows installed on my imac it's ok just like you have suggested it's a bit like os x it's alot better than vista and they have done their homework on it.I don't like the live photo's, mail, movie maker feature's and writer. It seem's alot faster to download.I followed this link to install
    Using Boot Camp to install Windows 7 on your Mac: The Complete Walkthrough - Simple Help
    I also had to quit the install to get the product key from os x as I forget to printed it before installing but just rebooted and continued the install of windows 7 and it works fine.

  20. #19
    iPhone? More like MyPhone s4mb4's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Canton, MI
    Posts
    246
    Thanks
    4
    Thanked 18 Times in 13 Posts

    i too installed Windows 7 Pro on my iMac with Bootcamp from the new OS X 10.6 snow leopard disk....
    all went fine, works as expected, BUT....
    the bluetooth mouse does not work.
    I removed the partition after i tried it. the whole mouse thing was a pain.
    i went back to Parallels. it is better that bootcamp.

  21. #20
    What's Jailbreak? kingrokh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    11
    Thanks
    1
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    I had Win7 on my new iMac, its something like spam or bug....
    dont try to install win7 on mac ever, because it will crash ur HDD and make your machine freezing and not responding stuffs...
    I did have these problems and after changing it to winXP, everything gets fine...
    DO NOT INSTALL ON YOUR MAC PLEASE

Posting Permissions
  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts