+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: IMac Touchscreen

is a discussion within the

iMac

forums, a part of the

Desktops

section;
Imac Touchscreen When I was first in the market for an Imac about two months ago I was under the assumption that they came with optional touch screens (don't ask
    iPhone? More like MyPhone chbearsrock's Avatar
    Thanks

Default IMac Touchscreen
    Imac Touchscreen

When I was first in the market for an Imac about two months ago I was under the assumption that they came with optional touch screens (don't ask why). Anyways, I recently purchased one and the other day I stumbled across the link above. Essentially it is a touchscreen system for the Imac that you can install yourself. It's close to $1100 for one that fits a 24inch Imac...what are your guys' thoughts? Is the imac powerful enough to have a smooth touch experience (like the iphone), or would you think it would be laggy like those HPs with the touch screens? I figure if it transforms the interface to something similar to the iphone then it is definitely worth the money. Any ideas?

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

Looks cool but sounds like a lot. Off the top of my head, I can't think of ways to really utilize the touchscreen at home....unless you would be able to use it like a Wacom touchscreen with a pen or something.

As far as the iMac being powerful enough...I think it should be. It is basically just a mouse that just follows the position of your finger instead of moving a mouse around.
    Last edited by pncntigger; 09-06-2008 at 01:21 AM.
    Don't forget the Thanks if I helped

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Bah thats nothing compared to my project im currently doing, it involves both a iMac and a touchscreen. the big difference between this and my project is that I'm using a iMac G4 . If the computer starts again after the mod is complete ill put up a worklog

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by pncntigger View Post
    Looks cool but sounds like a lot. Off the top of my head, I can't think of ways to really utilize the touchscreen at home....unless you would be able to use it like a Wacom touchscreen with a pen or something.

As far as the iMac being powerful enough...I think it should be. It is basically just a mouse that just follows the position of your finger instead of moving a mouse around.
    Well the main reason I wanted the touchscreen was because i thought it would be easier to use for my parents and the little kids we have around here. But I really don't want to need a stylus...
    does anyone know of any cheaper alternatives?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Well im not really sure but if design isnt a main issue you should be able to buy a size that fits you at Lava Technology Co.--HOME I've only seen pricing for up to 19" but if you ask them they most likely can get you pricing for other sizes aswell.
    This is no specialmade for mac so it will only be a plain glasswindow about 2mm thick.
    Their 19" model cost 59usd including everything that is needed excluding shipping. I've tested one myself and it works well.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Reservdel For This Useful Post:

chbearsrock (09-08-2008)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Reservdel View Post
    Well im not really sure but if design isnt a main issue you should be able to buy a size that fits you at Lava Technology Co.--HOME I've only seen pricing for up to 19" but if you ask them they most likely can get you pricing for other sizes aswell.
    This is no specialmade for mac so it will only be a plain glasswindow about 2mm thick.
    Their 19" model cost 59usd including everything that is needed excluding shipping. I've tested one myself and it works well.
    awesome, ill definitely check them out.

Quote Originally Posted by Reservdel View Post
    awesome, ill definitely check them out.
    Last edited by chbearsrock; 09-08-2008 at 12:17 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Hehe you are welcome, please tell me how it turned out. Would like to know if more people ask.

iPhone? More like MyPhone mtwiford's Avatar
    Thanks

Wow that is a little pricey.......wish it had more info on the site as well

......epic

iPhone? More like MyPhone calingasan's Avatar
    Thanks

Might just buy one of these instead if im gonna spend that kind of money
    Wacom Cintiq 21UX