Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iliberty vs ziphone 3

Default iliberty vs ziphone 3
    which is better? safer?

Thanks

Ziphone's brute force 1 pass ramdisk method can lead to memory corruption and destruction of your wifi calibration tables and/or baseband in general, and it downgrades your bootloader without asking, iLiberty's 2 pass method has a lower risk of memory corruption but can sometimes cause errors with permissions for files and doesn't include installer, just cydia, but it is safer.

Pwning your phone doesn't interfere with the ramdisk, so you have no risk of corrputing memory on your phone.
    Last edited by dale1v; 05-07-2008 at 04:42 AM.
    [RIGHT][LEFT][IMG]http://lookpic.com/i/470/QsIbAobp.jpeg[/IMG]
    [/LEFT][QUOTE]Microsoft owns the internet through Hotmail. The .HTML is short for Hotmail, so all .HTML files are MS files.[/QUOTE][URL="http://twitter.com/dale1v"][SIZE=2][COLOR=Cyan][I]twitter.com/dale1v[/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]
    [/RIGHT]

well first of all iliberty is better to use and i have not had 1 problem with it and zipphone is very complicated if i were u i would go wit iliberty not zipphone have fun

ZiPhone, no problems with it. Had to JB mine 4 times in a week due to some apps I installed. Used ZiPhone every time with never a hiccup.

Thanks

I used anysim 1.02 in september more than 8 times in total without a hiccup, wasn't safe though...if you know what I'm getting at
    [/LEFT][QUOTE]Microsoft owns the internet through Hotmail. The .HTML is short for Hotmail, so all .HTML files are MS files.[/QUOTE][URL="http://twitter.com/dale1v"][SIZE=2][COLOR=Cyan][I]twitter.com/dale1v[/I][/COLOR][/SIZE][/URL]
    [/RIGHT]

Both are easy to use.

ZiPhone does everything on the ramdisk, thus making it one pass. Unfortunately, memory corruption can occur with extraction of large files (which happens) [and ramdisk is also limited to 32 MB]

iLiberty+ loads payloads on the device. The ramdisk is small and all it does is jailbreak and schedules a script to run. It reboots the device, then the script runs and tells the payloads to install. Since the payloads are run on the operating system and not on the ramdisk, no memory corruption occurs.

(Reworded from a blog)

Default iLiberty+ worked
    Hey guys.

ziPhone did not work in first try for me. It did not unlock the phone for any simcard (anySIM gave me a "anySIM cannot unlock this phone" message) and the WiFi was not working properly. I restored the iPhone to factory settings with iTunes and then downloaded iLiberty that worked like a charm without problems.

I purchased my phone in april so it had 1.1.4 version and it was fabricated before week 44 and therefore had bootloader 3.9 (according to posts on several forums).

Anyway, thought IŽd share this with you that have ziPhone problems.

L.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dale1v View Post
    I used anysim 1.02 in september more than 8 times in total without a hiccup, wasn't safe though...if you know what I'm getting at
    Yes, you've tried to drive the point home many many times. When the truth is some people will never have a problem with Ziphone, ever. The developers, and their friends, inner circle hatred for Zibri should just remain that, inner circle. No one outside the inner sanctum gives a damn whether or not Zibri "stole" the coding or not. The bashing of Ziphone really needs to stop.

But that's my opinion.
    Get "iPod & iTunes for Dummies", it'll change your life.

Livin the iPhone Life iphonejeff's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Eurisko View Post
    Yes, you've tried to drive the point home many many times. When the truth is some people will never have a problem with Ziphone, ever. The developers, and their friends, inner circle hatred for Zibri should just remain that, inner circle. No one outside the inner sanctum gives a damn whether or not Zibri "stole" the coding or not. The bashing of Ziphone really needs to stop.

But that's my opinion.
    i think there's something wrong with you....

prob woke up on the wrong side of the floor...
    Last edited by iphonejeff; 07-02-2008 at 03:44 PM.
    mod edit, old signature removed

Ziphone has being destroying iphone's since its launch,people being realizing it after a long time,or when their iphone kept on freezing on the spinning death screen,including
    First time i tried ziphone it wouldnt unlock my baseband
    Second time i tried it wouldnt jailbreak it,after its jailbreak loop i turn out to be without wifi and carrier service
    Because OF AGAIN ZIPHONE
    ALL THANKS TO iLiberty+ my iphone has been running successfully for over 3 months
    Ziphone SUCKS !!! from the bottom of heart

Thanks

Default No.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurisko View Post

But that's my opinion.
    No. people deserve to know about the software they use, and maybe we should start giving a damn.
    You can ignore and undermine me as much as you please, feel free, but I will continue to tell the other 251 910 members about it if need be.
    That is my opinion.
    [/RIGHT]

Alright, let's put the user interfaces aside for a minute, because honestly, its not about what the app looks like on the outside, but rather how it affects things internally.

dale1v is 100% correct in saying that a method using one-pass encoding straight to the ramdisk, is not only extremely dangerous, but also careless, and frankly, stupid. To detail the process a bit more: when jailbreaking, the process usually takes a 2 pass sweep over the ramdisk, "flashing" it with the new data. This process is *very* dangerous when not done carefully, as over-allocating memory *does* lead to corruption of the data being flashed. To solve this issue, iLiberty+ uses quite a smaller ramdisk for its flashing, minimizing the memory allocated, and basically preventing any instance of data corruption to the ramdisk itself.

Furthermore, *NO* payloads whatsoever are installed on the first pass with iLiberty+. Payloads are installed after the fact, (after flashing), where there is no risk of corruption.

If that doesnt convince you, head to google and do a quick search for ZiPhone, and/or Ziphoned; It will only back up the arguments against the application, and prove further that the app *and* it's so called coder both basically fail at everything.

All in all, I urge you never to use ZiPhone unless you are trying to make a nice looking paperwait out of your iPhone :P
    Last edited by brando88; 07-02-2008 at 04:25 PM.
    i r brando

Thanks

Honestly people who say iLiberty is hard need to get smacked.
    And yes just see Dale, ZiPhone is dangerous.
    We arn't bashing, we are warning. Some of us don't want to be stuck on EDGE if the wifi dies.

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Do we really need to discuss this any further? CLOSED :-)

Thanks

Mods can still talk when threads are closed lol
    [/RIGHT]

Livin the iPhone Life Poseidon79's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,681 Times in 1,159 Posts

Yup... we sure can... we're awesome like that!

Thanks

I feel so special.
    Beat me to closing this poseidon