Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How to Jailbreak Using redsn0w 0.9.6 (Windows)

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,809 Times in 1,229 Posts

Default How to Jailbreak Using redsn0w 0.9.6 (Windows)

This Windows only guide (OS X guide here) will teach you how to jailbreak various devices using redsn0w 0.9.6. The current version of redsn0w 0.9.6 is 0.9.6rc19. Note this is an UNTETHERED JAILBREAK, meaning your phone will be able to restart just like a normal phone.

This guide should be used with the following device/firmware combinations (if you're not sure, here's how to find your iOS firmware version and how to find your iOS device type):

• iPhone 2G | 4.1
    • iPhone 2G | 4.2.1
    • iPhone 3G | 4.1
    • iPhone 3G | 4.2.1
    • iPhone 3GS | 4.1
    • iPhone 3GS | 4.2.1
    • iPhone 3GS | 4.3
    • iPhone 3GS | 4.3.1
    • iPhone 3GS | 4.3.2
    • iPhone 3GS | 4.3.3
    • iPad 1 | 4.2.1
    • iPad 1 | 4.3
    • iPad 1 | 4.3.1
    • iPad 1 | 4.3.2
    • iPad 1 | 4.3.3
    • iPod touch 2G | 4.1
    • iPod touch 2G | 4.2.1
    • iPod touch 3G | 4.2.1
    • iPod touch 3G | 4.3
    • iPod touch 3G | 4.3.1
    • iPod touch 3G | 4.3.2
    • iPod touch 3G | 4.3.3
    • iPod touch 4G | 4.1
    • iPod touch 4G | 4.2.1
    • iPod touch 4G | 4.3
    • iPod touch 4G | 4.3.1
    • iPod touch 4G | 4.3.2
    • iPod touch 4G | 4.3.3

If you prefer the simpler version of this guide with no pictures, click here.

Alright, let's get started. First thing you'll need to do is download the Windows version of redsn0w 0.9.6rc19 from mod.my/redsn0wwin096rc19. Double-click the zip file to unzip it, and open the redsn0w folder to see the redsn0w.exe file.

Making sure your device is connected, double-click redns0w to launch it. You will see the redsn0w home screen. In order to jailbreak your device, you'll need to download the firmware file that matches it, and place it on your desktop (or anywhere on your computer, but Desktop is easy). You can download the firmwares from here - we recommend you do not use Safari for downloading them as it usually uncompresses the file without asking, which we do not want. If you're not sure, here's how to find your iOS firmware version and how to find your iOS device type). Once you have that file downloaded, press the Browse button in redsn0w.

Browse to the .ipsw file you just downloaded (your device's current firmware).

redsn0w will tell you it is processing your firmware file.

IF (and only if) you have a 3GS you are attempting to jailbreak, redsn0w will ask you if you have the newer (fixed) model. It will give you instructions how to check using the week of the device's build (the 4th and 5th digit of your serial number). Devices with weeks BEFORE 45 are NOT fixed models, so you would click No. Devices week 45 or lates ARE fixed, so you would click Yes. If you are unable to view the device's serial number on the device (Settings > General > About) due to the device not being activated, you can download and open the iPhone Configuration Utility from Apple and see the serial number next to the device.

Assuming you have pointed redsn0w to the correct .ipsw file, it will now tell you it has the IPSW successfully identified.

Before you do anything on the next screen, power off your device by pressing and holding the sleep button (the button on the top) until the slide to power off screen comes up. Slide to power off.

Alright, NOW you can press Next on the redsn0w page which tells you to power off your device. NOTE: redsn0w will IMMEDIATELY ask you to press and hold the sleep button on the device, then continue holding it while pressing the home button, then continue holding the home button while letting go of the sleep button. Make sure your device is in your hands before pressing Next in redsn0w.

After successfully following the prompts of holding buttons down (this is entering DFU mode for the device), redsn0w will tell you it is Exploiting with limera1n. You can now let go of the home button on your device.

redsn0w will go through a few screens, telling you it is waiting for a reboot, then popping up a new window with various status messages as it jailbreaks your device.

Once that is done, you'll be shown a screen asking you to select your options. The default action (which we'll be doing in this guide) is to Install Cydia. You're welcome to check any other boxes you'd like, but please only do so if you know what you're doing. Press Next when you've selected your choices.

redsn0w will now tell you it is Waiting for reboot, then Uploading ramdisk, which will take a few seconds, and then say Done! Once it says Done! it is safe to close redsn0w, as the rest of the jailbreak process will happen on the device itself.

Your device will now scroll a bunch of command line messages as the jailbreak completes. After a minute or so of the scrolling text, you will see the pwnapple logo with some more status updates (the final step before your jailbreak is complete).

That's it! You're now holding a jailbroken device. Not too bad, eh?
    Last edited by Kyle Matthews; 11-01-2011 at 11:04 AM.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Kyle Matthews For This Useful Post:

DA-SILVA (12-02-2011)

Thats all good and it works fine got the Cydia icon back and that works fine BUT I still get 'sim failure' message which means the phone is locked to o2 and I can't use my orange contract sim.

The weird thing is I Jailbroke this phone over a year ago and everything worked fine got loads of themes and software then one day it froze and on restarting it all these problems started.
    When I put an o2 sim in there it works fine

I made sure my shsh's were verified so was my fw. Everything was perfect until about a third of the way through the install. When all of a sudden it came to a dead stop. Lol i was sitting there hoping somehow my
    install would miraculously continue on the other side of the "Your install has stopped blibidy blah". I had tiny umbrella running and itunes as well. That may have been the problem. I tried twice more to jb w/out success, the amazing thing is that i have no power/sleep button. I was daydreaming of a 4.2.1 jailbreak all day and was all over the forums trying all the fixes for my button thats so jammed all the way under the shell from its previous owner(my fourteen year old daughter). I was sitting on my bed the wife had my droid playin bejeweled 2 and was plugged into youtube on this here ipt2g watching fixes for inoperable power buttons when low and behold i was pushing my button trying to get it to spring out a little bit when i heard the shutter click. I practically sprang from the bed to The toshiba lap top. It was still running from surfin for firmware earlier. i pushed my thumbnail as hard as i could and pryed at the button between the face and the button going side to side until It went to sleep. I nailed dfu first Try...I had way to many windows open now that i think about it, i was pullin fw out of this folder, shsh's out of that one. I must have had ten windows going plus i didn't run as admin i was about to shsh myself right there lol. Anyway i had every jb possible in eight different folders when after my third run at it i broke out the poison and it was out of the frozen disk image of death with the tinyumbrella's. It took me a month of going from 4.2.1 to 2.2.1 with no power button and unjailbroken to figure out that you can get out of recovery with a push of one tiny umbrella. At least now i k ow how to downgrade and upgrade no prob even without a button to dfu. Its been crazy but i got acticator to get and a new
    Ipod touch 2g boot logo to rock courtesy of modmyi. Hey Thanks guys for all the input i really apreciate it. Ryan P. is my hero!

Default unable to recognise specified IPSW
    I'm using 3G iPhone with 4.2.1 & have downloaded redsnow 0.9.6rc19.. but I keep getting the message Unable to Recognise specified IPSW. Can you please help??? I've been trying for weeks to figure this out and I'm at my wits end! Thank-You!

Thanks
    Thanked 15,504 Times in 7,091 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Beggers View Post
    I'm using 3G iPhone with 4.2.1 & have downloaded redsnow 0.9.6rc19.. but I keep getting the message Unable to Recognise specified IPSW. Can you please help??? I've been trying for weeks to figure this out and I'm at my wits end! Thank-You!
    What is the file name of the firmware you are pointing redsnow to?

iPhone1,2_4.2.1_8C148_Restore.ipsw
    I had to download this to my computer as couldn't find the file located in iTunes folder - don't know if this makes a difference. I've read that I have to move this file as well as the redsnow file to a folder on the desktop, and then it should work.. but it hasn't made any difference.
    Any help is appreciated.

Quote Originally Posted by Simon View Post
    What is the file name of the firmware you are pointing redsnow to?
    I had to download this to my computer as couldn't find the file located in iTunes folder - don't know if this makes a difference. I've read that I have to move this file as well as the redsnow file to a folder on the desktop, and then it should work.. but it hasn't made any difference.
    Any help is appreciated.
    Last edited by Beggers; 11-09-2011 at 10:24 PM.

Thanks

Does your firmware have a white icon that looks like a cube-like puzzle piece?

Thanks

Not sure then sorry. My redsnow (on Mac) recognizes 4.2.1 3G firmware just fine. You could always try a lower redsnow version. 0.9.6rc8 is my favorite for iPhone 3G.

Try different versions of redsnow I had the same problem sometimes the firmware you download has a slight tweak and named the same so try downloading fw again or go for a older one. Got mine to recognise in the end but phone is still locked to o2 :-(

just checked rc19 works fine
    Maz

I've tried all of these so far... and all are saying the say thing..
    - 0.9.6b5
    - 0.9.6rc16
    - 0.9.6rc19

I'll try 0.9.6rc8 if I can find the download.. but I have doubts it'll work as none of the above did.

Mate I have been going crazy trying to unlock my one and at last a did it.

One thing I had to do was upgrade the band using fuzzyband then redsnow on 4.2.1 I will get the details you want the one that has
    Instal iPad something

I feel your pain.. I'm going crazy too. Been trying for sooo long now! Excuse my ignorance, but what do you mean upgrade using fuzzyband?
    I've just read on a few forums that because i'm using Windows 7 I need to run redsnow in XP compatiblity mode.. do you know if I have to
    do this also?

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Beggers For This Useful Post:

MazZafar (11-10-2011)

Download forecast 1.3
    and redsnow 0.9.6rc9
    when you browse to the ipsw it will be good look carefully this one has an extra option which the other redsnows don't have which is

'Instal iPad baseband'

Make sure this is ticked the only other one is 'Instal Cydia'

You will get some warnings come up about loosing gps and you cannot downgrade!

I got to the point where I just wanted to use it regardless, if you at the same place then go for it. Took me no more than 10 minutes.
    lets us know how you got on, good luck
    Maz

Ok.. I gotta head out now, will try later on today. Thanks. When you say loose gps, do you mean I won't be able to use maps on my phone? What else won't you have functionality for? Sorry if a dumb questions.. but I'm new at all of this.

The baseband has to be upgraded to ipad on 4.2.1 you can't unlock it otherwise God knows I have tried everything lol
    Maz

do you mean iphone 4.2.1, not ipad. I don't have an ipdad.. and iphone is already 4.2.1

yep gps wont do the navigation thing but i will find a way round. The google maps still work but it can't locate me yet !!!

Yes iPhone1,2_4.2.1_8C148_Restore.ipsw when u browse in redsnow

Quote Originally Posted by Beggers View Post
    I feel your pain.. I'm going crazy too. Been trying for sooo long now! Excuse my ignorance, but what do you mean upgrade using fuzzyband?
    I've just read on a few forums that because i'm using Windows 7 I need to run redsnow in XP compatiblity mode.. do you know if I have to
    do this also?
    I am still using XP so I would play it safe and yes run it in XP mode if that is gonna give u grief then get those files i mentioned on a memory stick and run them on an XP pc, they are tiny files and don't need a powerful pc to run them :-)

ps fuzzyband needs to be on the iphone through cydia

I stand corrected gps does work just fired up Google maps on my iPhone pressed locate and it prompted me to switch on location services which I did and bingo the blue dot zoomed into my location.
    It is all running sweet and just as a treat I downloaded the Ferrari theme which has an animated wallpaper so cool
    Last edited by MazZafar; 11-10-2011 at 06:43 PM.
    Maz

Ok, so I installed download forecast, and it tells me what I thought.. that my phone is 4.2.1 & can be jailbroken. So you say I need to install fuzzyband, but to do this via Cyndia. But don't I first need redsnow to get cyndia, and my problem is i can't get redsnow to recognise the ipsw file first.?? *confused*

pm me your email and i will send you my file which works

is your baseband 6.15? It needs to be
    Maz

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast