Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How to Jailbreak Using redsn0w 0.9.6 (OS X)

Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,809 Times in 1,229 Posts

Default How to Jailbreak Using redsn0w 0.9.6 (OS X)

This OS X only guide (Windows guide here) will teach you how to jailbreak various devices using redsn0w 0.9.6. The current version of redsn0w 0.9.6 is 0.9.6rc19. Note this is an UNTETHERED JAILBREAK, meaning your phone will be able to restart just like a normal phone.

This guide should be used with the following device/firmware combinations (if you're not sure, here's how to find your iOS firmware version and how to find your iOS device type):

• iPhone 2G | 4.1
    • iPhone 2G | 4.2.1
    • iPhone 3G | 4.1
    • iPhone 3G | 4.2.1
    • iPhone 3GS | 4.1
    • iPhone 3GS | 4.2.1
    • iPhone 3GS | 4.3
    • iPhone 3GS | 4.3.1
    • iPhone 3GS | 4.3.2
    • iPhone 3GS | 4.3.3
    • iPad 1 | 4.2.1
    • iPad 1 | 4.3
    • iPad 1 | 4.3.1
    • iPad 1 | 4.3.2
    • iPad 1 | 4.3.3
    • iPod touch 2G | 4.1
    • iPod touch 2G | 4.2.1
    • iPod touch 3G | 4.2.1
    • iPod touch 3G | 4.3
    • iPod touch 3G | 4.3.1
    • iPod touch 3G | 4.3.2
    • iPod touch 3G | 4.3.3
    • iPod touch 4G | 4.1
    • iPod touch 4G | 4.2.1
    • iPod touch 4G | 4.3
    • iPod touch 4G | 4.3.1
    • iPod touch 4G | 4.3.2
    • iPod touch 4G | 4.3.3

If you prefer the simpler version of this guide with no pictures, click here.

Alright, let's get started. First thing you'll need to do is download the Mac version of redsn0w 0.9.6rc19 from mod.my/redsn0wmac096rc19. Double-click the zip file to unzip it, and open the redsn0w folder to see the redsn0w icon.

Making sure your device is connected, double-click redns0w to launch it. You will see the redsn0w home screen. In order to jailbreak your device, you'll need to download the firmware file that matches it, and place it on your desktop (or anywhere on your computer, but Desktop is easy). You can download the firmwares from here - we recommend you do not use Safari for downloading them as it usually uncompresses the file without asking, which we do not want. If you're not sure, here's how to find your iOS firmware version and how to find your iOS device type). Once you have that file downloaded, press the Browse button in redsn0w.

Browse to the .ipsw file you just downloaded (your device's current firmware).

redsn0w will tell you it is processing your firmware file.

IF (and only if) you have a 3GS you are attempting to jailbreak, redsn0w will ask you if you have the newer (fixed) model. It will give you instructions how to check using the week of the device's build (the 4th and 5th digit of your serial number). Devices with weeks BEFORE 45 are NOT fixed models, so you would click No. Devices week 45 or lates ARE fixed, so you would click Yes. If you are unable to view the device's serial number on the device (Settings > General > About) due to the device not being activated, you can download and open the iPhone Configuration Utility from Apple and see the serial number next to the device.

Assuming you have pointed redsn0w to the correct .ipsw file, it will now tell you it has the IPSW successfully identified.

Before you do anything on the next screen, power off your device by pressing and holding the sleep button (the button on the top) until the slide to power off screen comes up. Slide to power off.

Alright, NOW you can press Next on the redsn0w page which tells you to power off your device. NOTE: redsn0w will IMMEDIATELY ask you to press and hold the sleep button on the device, then continue holding it while pressing the home button, then continue holding the home button while letting go of the sleep button. Make sure your device is in your hands before pressing Next in redsn0w.

After successfully following the prompts of holding buttons down (this is entering DFU mode for the device), redsn0w will tell you it is Exploiting with limera1n. You can now let go of the home button on your device.

redsn0w will go through a few screens, telling you it is waiting for a reboot, then popping up a new window with various status messages as it jailbreaks your device.

Once that is done, you'll be shown a screen asking you to select your options. The default action (which we'll be doing in this guide) is to Install Cydia. You're welcome to check any other boxes you'd like, but please only do so if you know what you're doing. Press Next when you've selected your choices.

redsn0w will now tell you it is Waiting for reboot, then Uploading ramdisk, which will take a few seconds, and then say Done! Once it says Done! it is safe to close redsn0w, as the rest of the jailbreak process will happen on the device itself.

Your device will now scroll a bunch of command line messages as the jailbreak completes. After a minute or so of the scrolling text, you will see the pwnapple logo with some more status updates (the final step before your jailbreak is complete).

That's it! You're now holding a jailbroken device. Not too bad, eh?
    Last edited by Kyle Matthews; 11-01-2011 at 11:15 AM.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Kyle Matthews For This Useful Post:

tawnytodd (02-27-2013)

iPhone? More like MyPhone Nopstnz8's Avatar
    Thanks

Wait so this will work untethered for the iPhone 3GS new bootrom on iOS5? Why hasn't this been announced more widely? I was under the impression no untethered jailbreak had been released yet?

Woops... Nevermind. Disregard my post
    Last edited by Nopstnz8; 10-31-2011 at 11:16 PM.

i have tried to jailbreak my iphone as stated above and im still having problems turning my iphone on, my battery died on my iphone and it doesnt turn on, ive tried to jail break it and it still dont work, its stuck on the iphone sign

i downloaded it.. and the redsnow icons is not there?..

Thanks
    Thanked 7,065 Times in 4,206 Posts

Ya need to extract the file

Thanks for your step-by-step guidelines. Apparently, I've failed to find any kind of detailed explanations online, so I was lucky to bump into this thread
    Thanks!

Thanks

Glad we could help

Default How to Jailbreak Using redsn0w 0.9.6 (OS X)
    Really a best information to jailbreak using redsn0w 0.9.6 (OSX).

Troubleshooting on iPod Touch 2G (MB) 4.2.1, jailbroken successfully w/ redsn0w 0.9.6 (OSX)

Cannot customize any settings, and no apps installed through Cydia or Icy are visible or usable. For example, Five Rows are installable but have no effect on anything and are invisible. Mostly same for Android Lock, but I can make the settings adjustments in Settings -- they just have no effect.
    What have I done wrong and how can I overcome this?

Your help would be extremely appreciated.
    Last edited by blkcadi; 08-08-2012 at 09:13 PM. Reason: removed warez comment

Hello my phone is already jail broken with version 4.1 and base band 06.15. I would really appreciate if any one could help me to know if I can update 4.1 to 5.1.1 or 4.3 any thing. OR The above procedure will update my phone. Please suggest

Thanks

The other thread should help ya out that ya made and had the answers please stick to one thread thank you.

where should questions for downgrading iPhone 3G firmware be asked ?

Quote Originally Posted by uglybug View Post
    where should questions for downgrading iPhone 3G firmware be asked ?
    Try here:

3G[S] Downgrading

Just Use evasi0n now. Evasi0n is much "easier" to Jailbreak with then Redsn0w. (my opinion)

Thanks

They have a thread about evasi0n this was just for redsnow

This is all good and it works but i still can't use any sim.

I jail broke my phone time back when jailbreakme.com worked for 3g and it was great could put any carrier sim in it and it worked fine.

How do I get back to those good old days again?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    hey thanks for this tutorial really helpful i just unlock my i phone using redsnow
    download redsn0w 0.9.15b3 to unlock your I Phone without getting bricked

19. The Following User Says Thank You to thomasg713 For This Useful Post:

justinlin912 (06-14-2013)

it there any jailbreak for 6.1.4?

Thanks

No there is not

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Yes there is who said it is not?? it is possible

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast