+ Reply
Page 1 of 25 123 11 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [HOW TO] Jailbreak Your iOS 5.1.1 Device With Absinthe 2

is a discussion within the

How To: Jailbreak Guides

forums, a part of the

Jailbreak Guides

section;
The Chronic Dev Team has released Absinthe 2.0.1 . Absinthe 2.0.1 works with Mac, Windows and Linux computers. The tool jailbreaks most devices running iOS 5.1.1 including: iPad, iPad 2,
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default [HOW TO] Jailbreak Your iOS 5.1.1 Device With Absinthe 2

The Chronic Dev Team has released Absinthe 2.0.1. Absinthe 2.0.1 works with Mac, Windows and Linux computers. The tool jailbreaks most devices running iOS 5.1.1 including:
    • iPad, iPad 2, and The new iPad (newer 32nm iPad 2 not included yet)
    • iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, and iPhone 4S
    • iPod touch 3G and iPod touch 4G

Since the jailbreak is intended for the newer software, it is recommend that you do a full DFU mode update from your previous firmware as this will overwrite any previous jailbreak data on your device and allow you to start fresh. After you have updated your firmware to iOS 5.1.1, you can follow the steps of this guide to jailbreak any of the devices listed above, in an untethered fashion.

1. Begin by downloading the Absinthe 2.0.1 application from the Chronic Dev Team’s Web site.

2. Launch the downloaded file to open a virtual disk where you can either open Absinthe immediately, or drag the Absinthe application to your applications folder for future use.

3. After you have opened Absinthe, plug in your iOS device and take note of how Absinthe auto-detects the device you plug in and the firmware it is running. If it is correct, click on the jailbreak button.

4. After clicking the jailbreak button, the whole process is mostly automatic. Absinthe will jailbreak the device for you without the need to enter DFU mode. During the process, Absinthe will show many different stages of the jailbreak process as shown below.

While Absinthe is jailbreaking your iOS device, the screen will appear as if the device is beginning a restore. This is normal – do not panic as nothing is going terribly wrong. Additionally, do not unplug the device or start using it until Absinthe says, “Done, enjoy!” Once it says this, the jailbreak is finally finished!

After the jailbreak is finished, there is one more step. You must unlock your iOS device and find Cydia on your home screen. Launch it and Cydia will start the process of preparing the filesystem. This process takes a while, so be patient. While Cydia is doing this, your screen should look like the image below:

When Cydia finishes preparing the filesystem, the device will respring and you can start downloading and enjoying your favorite Cydia tweaks on your newly jailbroken iOS 5.1.1 device. Since the jailbreak is untethered, you can reboot your device freely and your jailbreak will remain. If you are new to the realm of jailbreaking, check out our Staff favorites post to learn about some awesome iOS applications and Cydia tweaks!
    Last edited by Kyle Matthews; 05-26-2012 at 08:16 AM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Anthony Bouchard For This Useful Post:

indyzzzz (10-01-2012)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Can someone please advise. I have been searching threads and have not had any luck. I have a already JB iphone 3GS (with a carrier unlock) I can not wipe my settings as you know as my phone already has Cydia on it. I am hesitiate to restore through I tunes as I require a carrier unlock. Also when I plug into absinthe it get "ERROR: Device already jailbroken! Detected stash." Please advise.

"iPhone 3GS with iOS 5.0.1 (9A405) detected. Click the button to begin." this is my iphone info

never mind found it

Quote Originally Posted by nderosa View Post
    Can someone please advise. I have been searching threads and have not had any luck. I have a already JB iphone 3GS (with a carrier unlock) I can not wipe my settings as you know as my phone already has Cydia on it. I am hesitiate to restore through I tunes as I require a carrier unlock. Also when I plug into absinthe it get "ERROR: Device already jailbroken! Detected stash." Please advise.

"iPhone 3GS with iOS 5.0.1 (9A405) detected. Click the button to begin." this is my iphone info
    Last edited by nderosa; 05-26-2012 at 09:07 AM.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

You need to be on 5.1.1 before you use Absinthe. If you rely on the carrier unlock then I don't think you should be using Absinthe as far as I know. I could be wrong though.

Quote Originally Posted by steve-z17 View Post
    You need to be on 5.1.1 before you use Absinthe. If you rely on the carrier unlock then I don't think you should be using Absinthe as far as I know. I could be wrong though.
    DELETE POSTS (he figured it out)
    Last edited by steve-z17; 05-26-2012 at 09:14 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

u need to preserve ur baseband by making a custom firmware for 5.1.1.....which u can di by using redsn0w iClarified - iPhone - How to Jailbreak Your iPhone Using Absinthe 2.0 (Windows) [5.1.1] and going to extras>custom IPSW and then select the 5.1.1 FW u downloaded....after the process there will be a new custom ipsw starts with the name NO_BB.... and u can restore n update ur idevice using that new one....

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

never mind found it
    u need to preserve ur baseband by making a custom firmware for 5.1.1.....which u can di by using redsn0w iClarified - iPhone - How to Jailbreak Your iPhone Using Absinthe 2.0 (Windows) [5.1.1] and going to extras>custom IPSW and then select the 5.1.1 FW u downloaded....after the process there will be a new custom ipsw starts with the name NO_BB.... and u can restore n update ur idevice using that new one....
    PrinceKingdoms

Get A Dropbox Account | Get Latest RedSn0w | Get your Firmware | Get Sn0wBreeze | Get iREB | Get Latest Absinthe | Get Latest TinyUmbrella

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

great guide ;
    Last edited by blkcadi; 06-10-2012 at 05:02 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life steve-z17's Avatar
    Thanks

Why can I not edit my posts??? I can only reply to them. I want to delete some of my previous post but I can't....what's wrong?

By the way, we don't talk about that crap on modmyi. We respect the developers who have put time and effort into making Cydia apps available to us, we don't steal them. Totally lame!
    Last edited by blkcadi; 06-10-2012 at 05:02 PM.

Livin the iPhone Life sziklassy's Avatar
    Thanks

At this point, I think anyone that needs a guide is basically inept. Plug in phone, restore to 5.1.1, run absinthe, profit.

Thanks

i did my JB last night on 2.0
    do i have to do it again on 2.0.1 ?
    is there any difference

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

is anyone having trouble donwloading Absinthe 2.0.1 from the download link?

iPhoneaholic
    Thanks

I've followed these exact 1-2 steps since yesterday & no jailbreak. I get a message something like (... retry jailbreaking again...) any idea what's causing this?

iPhone 4, by the way

Thanks in advance

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MPS3 View Post
    i did my JB last night on 2.0
    do i have to do it again on 2.0.1 ?
    is there any difference
    No, don't do it again.
    If my post was good, click the button in my post

New to jailbreaking? Have a look at my Redsn0w Guide

Thanks

Anybody know ANYTHING about when iPad 2,4 will be supported by absinthe 2.0?

Thanks

No ETA yet, they just said soon.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Am I going to lose my music if I jailbreak? It's been a longggg time since I've jailbroken, I forgot lmao

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I am currently trying to Jailbreak my iPhone4 5.1.1 and am getting a "Sorry, the attached device is not supported" message every time I open Absinthe. I have downloaded Absinthe Version 2.0.1. if anyone can help me I would greatly appreciate it

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by dhruv300 View Post
    Am I going to lose my music if I jailbreak? It's been a longggg time since I've jailbroken, I forgot lmao
    No you won't

19. The Following User Says Thank You to celeron For This Useful Post:

dhruv300 (05-26-2012)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Thanks

Thanks

Not. A prob

Thanks

Great now if they can just get Absinthe to work on the iphone 4 s factory unlocked and the att locked iphone 4 I'll give this a try.

waiting for reboot
    can't connect to lockdown aobrting

These are not my favorite phrases.