+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [How To] Install and Uninstall A Jailbreak Tweak Using Cydia

is a discussion within the

How To: Jailbreak Guides

forums, a part of the

Jailbreak Guides

section;
After you jailbreak (follow our guides if you haven't ), you have the ability to change any aspect of your device. Cydia is a store that contains countless applications and
    MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Default [How To] Install and Uninstall A Jailbreak Tweak Using Cydia

After you jailbreak (follow our guides if you haven't), you have the ability to change any aspect of your device. Cydia is a store that contains countless applications and tweaks (software packages that change your device configurations). A tweak can do something as minor as changing the color of something or as major as letting you use full screen browsing in Mobile Safari - and much more. Some are free and some are paid. Cydia also has various applications and themes; some Apple never accepted into the App Store, such as Grooveshark.

This guide is intended for beginner level jailbreakers and will show you how to install and uninstall a jailbreak tweak.

Installing a Jailbreak Tweak

To begin, make sure that you have a jailbroken device with Cydia on your SpringBoard. When you open Cydia for the first time, the window will look like the one pictured below. You need to tap on the Search tab; it has the magnifying glass on it:

Once you tap on the search tab, you will be brought to a white screen with a search bar at the top. Tap on the search bar where it says Package Names & Descriptions to pull up the keyboard:

I want to make it so that I can see Mobile Safari in full-screen mode. So I search, "FullScreen for Safari" and I find a search result that seems relevant to what I want. I'm going to tap on the tweak to bring up its description as shown by the red box in the image below:

After tapping on the tweak, you will see the tweak description. You can scroll through it to read about it, but I'm convinced that this tweak does what I want it to do. At the top right of the window, tap the Install button as shown below (note: tweaks that cost money will show a blue Purchase button. You will need to purchase them to install them):

After tapping the install button, you will need to tap the Confirm button to make sure that you didn't tap install by mistake. The screen will also show you the download size as shown below:

After tapping the confirm button, Cydia Installer will begin downloading and putting the tweak into place. This process will show a command-line-like screen that will show each step after another. When it finishes, Cydia will begin reloading the data as seen below:

When Cydia finishes reloading its data, you will be asked to restart the springboard; commonly referred to as respringing. What this does is it restarts a dependent part of iOS so that the tweak can kick in after it restarts. Not all tweaks will require that you respring; some will ask you to reboot the device, and some will let you return to Cydia without doing anything. In this case however, we need to respring. Tap on the Restart Springboard button as shown below and your device will show a spinning wheel for a few seconds and then return to your lock screen:

Congratulations! You've installed a jailbreak tweak. Now that it's installed you can use it for whatever purpose you installed it for.

Uninstalling a Jailbreak Tweak

Let's say that the jailbreak tweak didn't do exactly what you wanted it to do, or you just don't use it anymore. You can remove it from your iDevice. To begin, make sure that you have a jailbroken device with Cydia on your SpringBoard. When you open Cydia for the first time, the window will look like the one pictured below. You need to tap on the Manage tab; it has the book on it:

Once you tap on the manage tab you will have three options. You want to tap on the Packages button and as indicated below:

After tapping on packages, you will see a list of every package installed on your iDevice. Packages include both tweaks and applications, but this list will only show what you've installed from Cydia - not anything you download from the App Store or from the iTunes Store. You're going to scroll until you find the tweak that you want to uninstall. In this case, I will be removing FullScreen for Safari. Tap on it:

After you tap on the tweak you want to remove, you will be shown the tweak's description. Tap on the Modify button at the top right of the window as shown below:

After tapping modify, you will be prompted by a popup that says reinstall, remove, or cancel. Tap on the Remove button as shown below:

After tapping on remove, a new window will appear. Tap on the Confirm button at the top right of the window as shown below:

After tapping the confirm button, Cydia Installer will begin removing and uninstalling the tweak. This process will show a command-line-like screen that will show each step after another. When it finishes, Cydia will begin reloading the data as seen below:

When Cydia finishes reloading its data, you will be asked to restart the springboard; commonly referred to as respringing. What this does is it restarts a dependent part of iOS so that the tweak can kick in after it restarts. Not all tweaks will require that you respring; some will ask you to reboot the device, and some will let you return to Cydia without doing anything. In this case however, we need to respring. Tap on the Restart Springboard button as shown below and your device will show a spinning wheel for a few seconds and then return to your lock screen:

Congratulations! You've uninstalled a jailbreak tweak. Now that it's uninstalled you will no longer be able to use the tweak and you are free to install new tweaks for even reinstall the tweak that you uninstalled if you change your mind later on. If you purchased a tweak, you can always install it again for free.
    Last edited by Anthony Bouchard; 12-20-2011 at 06:16 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Can you show a picture, where it shows how safari full screen looks like?,

MMi Staff Writer Anthony Bouchard's Avatar
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Morticia View Post
    Can you show a picture, where it shows how safari full screen looks like?,
    FullScreen for Safari Review

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

My cydia is removed how do I get it back

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I deleted Cydia because it kept making my iPad freeze up. Now I still have an app from Cydia called "vWallpaper2." For some reason I can't delete it. I want to delete it because now I can't make one of the pictures that I took in PhotoBooth my background. PLEASE HELP!

2k1
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,062 Times in 4,204 Posts

You can delete it in ifile if need be

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

my cydia is not working and safari when i jailbreak it thou the logo is there but is not responding....... i tried to re jailbreak it using redsnow 0.9.12b3 but this time cydia is no more installing and the safari is not working i dont know what to do...............and it read also no service pls what can i do to solve this problem