+ Reply
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: How to Jailbreak Using redsn0w 0.9 (Windows)

is a discussion within the

How To: Jailbreak Guides

forums, a part of the

Jailbreak Guides

section;
{last updated November 1st, 2012} This Windows only guide (OS X guide here ) will teach you how to jailbreak various devices using redsn0w 0.9. The current version of redsn0w
    Owner / Founder - ModMyi
    aka poetic_folly
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,750 Times in 1,210 Posts

Default How to Jailbreak Using redsn0w 0.9 (Windows)

{last updated November 1st, 2012}

This Windows only guide (OS X guide here) will teach you how to jailbreak various devices using redsn0w 0.9. The current version of redsn0w 0.9 is 0.9.15b3. Note this is an UNTETHERED JAILBREAK, (with the exception of 4.3.4/4.3.5/5.0 where it is a tethered jailbreak) meaning you can reboot your phone just like you normally would.

This guide should be used with the following device/firmware combinations (if you're not sure, here's how to find your iOS firmware version and how to find your iOS device type):
    • iPhone 3G | 4.3.4
    • iPhone 3GS | 4.3.3
    • iPhone 3GS | 4.3.4
    • iPhone 3GS | 4.3.5
    • iPhone 3GS | 5.0
    • iPhone 3GS | 5.0.1
    • iPhone 4 | 4.2.9
    • iPhone 4 | 4.2.10
    • iPhone 4 | 4.3.3
    • iPhone 4 | 4.3.4
    • iPhone 4 | 4.3.5
    • iPhone 4 | 5.0
    • iPhone 4 | 5.0.1
    • iPad 1 | 4.3.3
    • iPad 1 | 4.3.4
    • iPad 1 | 4.3.5
    • iPod touch 3G | 4.3.4
    • iPod touch 3G | 4.3.5
    • iPod touch 4G | 4.3.4
    • iPod touch 4G | 4.3.5
    • iPod touch 4G | 5.0
    • iPod touch 4G | 5.0.1

If you prefer the simpler version of this guide with no pictures, click here.

Alright, let's get started. First thing you'll need to do is download the Windows version of redsn0w 0.9.15b3 from mod.my/redsn0wwin0915b3. Double-click the zip file to unzip it, and open the redsn0w folder to see the redsn0w.exe file.

Making sure your device is connected, double-click redns0w to launch it. You will see the redsn0w home screen - press the Jailbreak button.

Before you do anything on the next screen, power off your device by pressing and holding the sleep button (the button on the top) until the slide to power off screen comes up. Slide to power off.

Alright, NOW you can press Next on the redsn0w page which tells you to power off your device. NOTE: redsn0w will IMMEDIATELY ask you to press and hold the sleep button on the device, then continue holding it while pressing the home button, then continue holding the home button while letting go of the sleep button. Make sure your device is in your hands before pressing Next in redsn0w.

After successfully following the prompts of holding buttons down (this is entering DFU mode for the device), redsn0w will tell you it is Exploiting with limera1n. You can now let go of the home button on your device.

redsn0w will go through a few screens, telling you it is waiting for a reboot, then popping up a new window with various status messages as it jailbreaks your device.

Once that is done, you'll be shown a screen asking what you'd like to do. The default action (which we'll be doing in this guide) is to Install Cydia. You're welcome to check any other boxes you'd like, but please only do so if you know what you're doing. Press Next when you've selected your choices.

redsn0w will now tell you Uploading ramdisk, which will take a few seconds, and then say Done! Once it says Done! it is safe to close redsn0w, as the rest of the jailbreak process will happen on the device itself.

Your device will now scroll a bunch of command line messages as the jailbreak completes. After a minute or so of the scrolling text, you will see the pwnapple logo with some more status updates (the final step before your jailbreak is complete).

That's it! You're now holding a jailbroken device. Not too bad, eh?
    Last edited by Simon; 05-16-2012 at 11:57 AM.

↑ ↑ ↓ ↓ ← → ← → B A [select] [start] Kyle Matthews

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Kyle Matthews For This Useful Post:

o0King0o (01-11-2012)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thanks...it works but can't wait for an career unlock

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Is there an iPhone 3G 4.3.4 as it is stated above...I will be happy if so.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

The jailbreak worked and I installed cydia but when I download any apps from cydia all they do is crash the phone I don't really see the point if all it does is cause a lot of problems

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Matey View Post
    The jailbreak worked and I installed cydia but when I download any apps from cydia all they do is crash the phone I don't really see the point if all it does is cause a lot of problems
    Did not work for me :-( Trying it on my ATT ip4 freshly restored to ios5. It gets through the jb process just fine with no errors, but when the phone reboots, i have a Cydia icon, but with a blank white icon image. WHen i tap cydia in tries to open but closes immediately after. I am even able to reboot the phone unconnected. Maybe i'll try to restore again and start over.

-Luke

Nope same thing. did another itunes restore to ios5 and followed along. Same result, all seems to go just fine, get the happy pinneapple and all that but same white icon image for cydia and unable to launch it.-Luke

Aha! Success. I had to go back into redsnow, and go through the Extras>Just boot procedures and reboot the phone. Had the real cydia icon and am in there right now.Thanks!
    Last edited by lkailburn; 11-07-2011 at 11:34 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default How to be able to see cydia
    Quote Originally Posted by lkailburn View Post
    Did not work for me :-( Trying it on my ATT ip4 freshly restored to ios5. It gets through the jb process just fine with no errors, but when the phone reboots, i have a Cydia icon, but with a blank white icon image. WHen i tap cydia in tries to open but closes immediately after. I am even able to reboot the phone unconnected. Maybe i'll try to restore again and start over.

-Luke

Nope same thing. did another itunes restore to ios5 and followed along. Same result, all seems to go just fine, get the happy pinneapple and all that but same white icon image for cydia and unable to launch it.-Luke

Aha! Success. I had to go back into redsnow, and go through the Extras>Just boot procedures and reboot the phone. Had the real cydia icon and am in there right now.Thanks!
    After you see it not loading with the cydia icon is all white.
    All you have to do is put your phone into DFU mode then click just boot on Redsn0w.
    After it boots up then you will be able to click on cydia with no problem.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by goast2006 View Post
    After you see it not loading with the cydia icon is all white.
    All you have to do is put your phone into DFU mode then click just boot on Redsn0w.
    After it boots up then you will be able to click on cydia with no problem.
    I had the same thing happen to me. I got the white Cydia icon with instant app crash trying to open it. I did the just boot proceedures and got into Cydia with no problem, but then something really bad happened. All my stock apps except for the Music and Video apps where gone. No Mail, Phone, or any of the stock apps. I tried restoring through iTunes and then it said that it could not be restored. So I restored it from the iPhone instead using the iCloud backup. It was really weird.

Quote Originally Posted by Cucumbijuana View Post
    I had the same thing happen to me. I got the white Cydia icon with instant app crash trying to open it. I did the just boot proceedures and got into Cydia with no problem, but then something really bad happened. All my stock apps except for the Music and Video apps where gone. No Mail, Phone, or any of the stock apps. I tried restoring through iTunes and then it said that it could not be restored. So I restored it from the iPhone instead using the iCloud backup. It was really weird.
    EDIT

OH CRAP! The restore from the iPhone didn't bring back my stock apps! iTunes still refuses to restore my phone. Can anyone help?

Quote Originally Posted by Cucumbijuana View Post

EDIT

OH CRAP! The restore from the iPhone didn't bring back my stock apps! iTunes still refuses to restore my phone. Can anyone help?
    EDIT

Ok, iTunes refused to restore my phone in iOS 5. I even used the TinyUmbrella TSS Server to make a clean restore and it still didn't work. Though I did manage to downgrade back to 4.3.3. I thought my iPhone was a goner.
    Last edited by Cucumbijuana; 11-09-2011 at 09:48 PM.
    How come they can't play fair with US instead of the other way around?

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I did this on my iphone 3gs, I thought this was a teathered jailbreak, but i can turn off my phone and turn it back on and all the jailbreak apps are still there. I have the newer baseband 3gs

Thanks
    Thanked 2,196 Times in 1,919 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by hunterw View Post
    I did this on my iphone 3gs, I thought this was a teathered jailbreak, but i can turn off my phone and turn it back on and all the jailbreak apps are still there. I have the newer baseband 3gs
    The baseband doesn't determine tethered or untethered. It's the bootrom. Old boot 3GS devices are always untethered.

Quote Originally Posted by proopps View Post
    Is there an iPhone 3G 4.3.4 as it is stated above...I will be happy if so.
    I'm pretty sure he meant 3GS. The 3G only goes up to 4.2.1.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I want to jb my iphone 4 which is on 4.3.3 untethered to 5.0 semi-untethered...but when i "shift-click" to upgrade and point to the downloaded 5.0 file i get an error 3002. Do i have to update to 5.0.1?? What's my options?

2k1
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,055 Times in 4,201 Posts

They not signing for 5.0 now if you update you have to go to 5.0.1

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

i'm using iphone 4..i just upgrade to ios 5..but when i reboot or switch off my iphone..cydia wont function..n i just have to BOOT it using redsn0w 0.9.9b7...more problem here is after 2 weeks using ios 5..when i download some stuff from cydia my apps suddenly not working like FACEBOOK, TWITTER,MESSAGE...when i click on one of this icon, my ipnone just respring and then it will be on safe mode..n when i BOOT it again using redsnow..the problem can't be solve..until NOW..what does i have to do...plz help me ASAP..thanks

Thanks

Well that's called a tethered jailbreak, which is what we are stuck with for now.

With all those problems on your phone you probably need to restore. This means you can only restore to 5.0.1. Unless you have SHSHs saved for iOS 4 to restore to.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I just got 5.0.1

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Sucks that it doesn't work for the 4s yet. Wonder how long it will take for them to put something out.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Is the iPad 1 jailbreak also tethered only????

Thanks

i'm having a problem guys.
    My Telus 5.0.1 won 't jailbreak on my windows. I get the white cydia icon but then when i try to boot tethered i am getting that the ipsw is not reconized.
    Any help would be great
    Cheers

Thanks

When you boot tethered you go into the "extras" and choose "boot tethered." It shouldn't even be asking for an ipsw.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Default iPhone 3GS on Fido?
    Hi all,I have an iPhone 3GS with firmware 5.0 (9A334) and I am using a windows vista pc. The original carrier is Rogers (Canada) and I want to use the Fido carrier without data plan. 1- Is Fido supported with or without data? If so once the iPhone starts with the Fido SIM in it, the carrier is not found.The Jail Break works well, I am able to run Cydia, and I was able to enter "http://repo666.ultrasn0w.com" as a source, and did a search for the ultrasn0w and then it installed... 2- Was this the proper procedure? 3- Is there a particular version of Ultrasn0w that I was supposed to install?4- What steps do you recommend?Thanks in advance for your support!

Quote Originally Posted by EnzoB View Post
    Hi all,I have an iPhone 3GS with firmware 5.0 (9A334) and I am using a windows vista pc. The original carrier is Rogers (Canada) and I want to use the Fido carrier without data plan. 1- Is Fido supported with or without data? If so once the iPhone starts with the Fido SIM in it, the carrier is not found.The Jail Break works well, I am able to run Cydia, and I was able to enter "http://repo666.ultrasn0w.com" as a source, and did a search for the ultrasn0w and then it installed... 2- Was this the proper procedure? 3- Is there a particular version of Ultrasn0w that I was supposed to install?4- What steps do you recommend?Thanks in advance for your support!
    Sorry I left out some details, I installed utrasn0w 1.2.4.

Thx
    Last edited by EnzoB; 11-30-2011 at 08:40 AM.

Thanks

Check the baseband/modem firmware version in settings>general>about

+ Reply
Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast