+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Bought used iPhone 5 and GPS seems to have issues

is a discussion within the

Hardware

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
I figured I would see if this is a known issue. First of, I am a 4 generation all jailbroke but this one. I did a search and I found
    Green Apple
    Thanks
    Default Bought used iPhone 5 and GPS seems to have issues
    I figured I would see if this is a known issue. First of, I am a 4 generation all jailbroke but this one. I did a search and I found a few others with similar issues but no real answers. I use Straight Talk. In the past jailbreaking was needed to be able to get full feathers like internet (no longer and issue) and MMS by installing TetherMe and changing the APN settings. My iPhone 4 and 4S both were set up this way. My iPhone 5 I just bought used was on 7.1.1 so I obviously cannot jailbreak. It is unlocked though. But outta the box with the APN profile from Unlockitz installed it seems to work fine even MMS other than no LTE/4G (which is another issue). But the GPS is an issue. iPhone was an unlocked 4, jailbroke using tetherMe to adjust my APN using straight talk. Then I upgrade to a 4S same thing, JB, TetherMe, ST. Now I bought a 5, it's unfortunately running 7.1.1 so no jailbreak, I am still using ST and everything works, even MMS with the Unlockitz profile installed. My GPS will start me close to where I am but the screen is always slightly tilted and it cannot follow/refresh my location.

Can this be a straight talk related issue? Can not being jailbroke make anything different? The phone was used and the guy swears the GPS worked fine. He drives for a living and used it quite regularly.

Thanks.

Thanks

I'm wondering if your magnetometer or your accelerometer are off. Faulty GPS is another immediate possibility. I've not heard of unlockit.co.nz APNs or other jailbreak tweaks etc. throwing off the GPS on a jailbroken iPhone 5, never mind a stock one.

Have you tried a DFU restore, reinstalling the APN for Straight Talk, and seeing if the issue persists?

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Orby View Post
    I'm wondering if your magnetometer or your accelerometer are off. Faulty GPS is another immediate possibility. I've not heard of unlockit.co.nz APNs or other jailbreak tweaks etc. throwing off the GPS on a jailbroken iPhone 5, never mind a stock one.

Have you tried a DFU restore, reinstalling the APN for Straight Talk, and seeing if the issue persists?
    I forgot to mention that I did do a full restore when I got home. But I did not do a DFU restore. Maybe that will be my next step

Green Apple
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tjlmbklr View Post
    I forgot to mention that I did do a full restore when I got home. But I did not do a DFU restore. Maybe that will be my next step
    Update, DFU restore did not fix my issue.