Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 4s, blank screen

Default iPhone 4s, blank screen
    I've done screen replacements for friends before with no problem, but it was always with knowing that the screen was actually what needed to be replaced.

I recently bought an iphone 4s that seemed to work with the exception of the screen being blank. You can see the backlight come on, but no image. I replaced the screen with no difference. I restored the iphone. I checked and checked again all the connections. I looked at the lcd connector under a microscope to see if it was damaged/had a solder problem. The water damage sticker is white. I'm at a loss for what could be the problem. I suppose it could be a defective LCD, but I don't have a way at the moment of testing that.

Any other ideas what could be wrong?

Also, it seems like it will only boot up when I plug it in. as soon as it is on, i can unplug it and the power button sleeps/wakes the phone just fine.

I know it sounds weird, but I would try a new battery. It has resolved that issue for me before. Other than that, I would try a DFU restore. If it still doesn't work, your backlight chip might have been burnt out. Unfortunately that is a pretty labor intensive soldering job.

None of that worked. and I replaced the screen with one that i know is good, so that isn't the problem either. Could it be the backlight chip even if the backlight turns on?