+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Water damage and then....

is a discussion within the

Hardware

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
So my iphone 5 took a swim last weekend and I ended up having a local iphone repair shop put a new battery in it and do water treatment on
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    So my iphone 5 took a swim last weekend and I ended up having a local iphone repair shop put a new battery in it and do water treatment on it. I got it back and it wa working for the most part. At one point I noticed the home button was not responding and when I plugged it into the pc it would sync but when the screen went blank after not touching it, it would stay blank until after I disconnected it from the cable. Anway. I figured I need to transfer my pics over to the pc so I start that and halfway through the transfer the iphone appears to reboot, but it gets stuck on the apple logo screen. and doesn't get past that. I decide after some fiddling with it that I need to unplug it so the battery (currently around 20% full) can die and eventually it does (hours later). Problem here is that it doesn't even power on at all now.

My co-worker (android user) seems to think that because it is a new battery (or at least suppose to be) it won't power on until it's at 100%. i have my doubts about this theory, but I'm hoping he is right. Currently I've had it plugged in for roughly 3.5 hours and it's still not powering up.

What do you think? What I will probably do is if it doesn't power on by 9am, I'm going to take it back to the iphone repair shop and see what they say.

The cost for me replacing the iphone @ apple is $229, whereas AT&T and Best Buy wants to charge full price $399. Best Buy does have that trade in plus program though (for the next version when it comes out).
    Last edited by Murphdog; 07-11-2013 at 12:44 AM.

Green Apple
    Thanks

that should of been your first action taking to the apple store and replacing.. once it gets hit with water damage they can say all they want its neva gonna be the same

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    So I took it to a iphone repair shop, they did the water treatment for 24 hours, replaced the battery. I got it home and knowing that I was going to go to the Apple store and replace it, I attempted to copy my pics (only thing I didn't have backed up to the computer). After that, it died again. Wish I had an opportunity to restore it to factory defaults before I took it to Apple but oh well. I was a little concerned that Apple would be able to tell that the phone had been opened but the dude said nothing. Got my new one for $229, no hassle.

Note, when it died, it actually did that right in the middle of my file transfer (status was at about 50% but looking at the files on the pc, appears to have gotten everything). It appeared to reboot, got to the logo screen and just stayed there, All I could do at that point was let the battery die and try charging it again. Unfortunately that didn't work, it stayed dead, so that's when I decided let the repair shop have one more go at it but they couldnt do any more. I finally took it to Apple. Unfortunately the new hone has 6.1.4 so looks like I have to wait for ios7 to mod it again.