Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone battery dies when at 20%

Default iPhone battery dies when at 20%
    My iPhone 5 will start turning itself off when the battery reaches 20% or a little less. This is very annoying. Does anyone know if this has to do with evasion?

The reason I ask about evasion is because when I boot the iPhone into safe mode after it dies, it'll stay on until 1 or 2%.

It's a pain because my iPhone won't turn on for about 5 minutes after it dies for me to boot into safe mode.

Any ideas?

Thanks
    Thanked 7,065 Times in 4,206 Posts

Very weird haven't seen this issue asked before. Maybe a bad tweak or something since ya said it doesn't do it in safe mode. Maybe list ya tweaks and we can start from there.

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Scotty Manley Silberhorn View Post
    My iPhone 5 will start turning itself off when the battery reaches 20% or a little less. This is very annoying. Does anyone know if this has to do with evasion?

The reason I ask about evasion is because when I boot the iPhone into safe mode after it dies, it'll stay on until 1 or 2%.

It's a pain because my iPhone won't turn on for about 5 minutes after it dies for me to boot into safe mode.

Any ideas?
    Sounds to me, from the little bit of info, that it's the jailbreak.

There is really only 1 way to find out.. restore it and get rid of the jailbreak.

EDIT: Actually, I think you can reset all/erase all and then jailbreak it again. Obviously restoring would update the phone. This would be a question for the jailbreaking forums. I've been out of the jailbreaking scene since factory unlocks became widely available.
    iRepair Indy

Thanks
    Thanked 7,065 Times in 4,206 Posts

You can try ilex rat and see if that works

My iPhone is a Part of Me iRevival's Avatar
    Thanks

Go with 2k1's approach. Erasing all while jailbroken won't actually erase everything. I believe your jailbroken stuff stays and it locks up that memory so you'd have less space than before until you restore the phone from scratch.
    Twitter: @irevivalrepairs | Instagram: @irevivalrepairs

iPhone 4/4S Frame Swappers:
    Don't forget about that sim tray lever!
    iPhone 5 Frame Swappers:
    Don't forget about those screen clips!

I talked to apple today. It wasn't fixed after I updated to iOS 7. My phone was 5 days out of warranty and somehow I managed to talk them into getting me a new iPhone 5. As time went on the problem got worse, starting to shut off around 30%. And when i plugged it in. It went to 80% in no time flat. It took me two hours with apple on there new online chat support but they are sending me a box to have it sent in. Hopefully they'll give me a new phone.

Did you get a new iPhone?

When you said you had 5 days left, was this off the initial 30 days, 1-year warranty or AppleCare?

Battery issues are very easy to get replaced by Apple, even if it's out of warranty. If it's in warranty, and no other damage then it's usually FREE. No $ for claim or anything. If out of warranty, then it's usually reduced fee to get a replacement phone. I've had mixed results with being charged $52.50 to $80.

Apple almost got sued sometime ago because a bad battery started to overheat a phone in an airplane glove compartment. It started smoking the passengers bag and was put out with no other damage than a big hole in the guys clothes. Anyways, Apple put a policy in place to replace batteries much differently than other issues or accidental damage in fear that if they denied someone a claim and a plane went down over the battery, they would be sued for billions blah blah blah.

So moral of the story. If you have a "bad" battery that seems to be draining faster than normal, don't hesitate to file a warranty claim. Especially if you're within the 1 year. They will smile and be happy to exchange it for a NEW unit.