Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Interesting Cellular Issue

Default Interesting Cellular Issue
    Hey guys, I picked up a phone for next to nothing because it needed a new digitizer and LCD assembly and I planned to flip it. Before performing the repair, I noticed that the phone showed no service and searching occasionally because it still had the previous owners sim card in it. I thought "whatever, his sim is just deactivated". I replaced the display and every thing went well but no matter what this phone will only show "searching" and "no service" when any sim card is installed. I know the sim pins are functioning properly because when you pop the sim out it shows "no sim". It just wont show the bars or find signal. I know it is reading the sim though because in the about screen it shows the carrier name and it shows the number that is attached to the sim card in the contacts list a the top, it just wont show signal bars or obtain service. I have already tried DFU restoring and setting up as new as well as multiple sim cards and resetting network settings. I have also reseated the cellular antenna connection multiple times. I know it's definitely a hardware issue. What do you guys think?

WHat baseband is it on?

Jailbroken?
    Follow me @LoganWesterman

Need Your iPhone Unlock Click HERE or Here
    Needs Your iPhone Fixed Pm Me!
    Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

Phone was originally on ios 6.1. I updated it to 6.1.3 then ios 7. Issue was present from the beginning though. Phone is now downgraded from ios 7 to 6.1.3. I'm thinking of maybe trying to change the cellular antenna. It's a gsm iphone 4.

Phone was never jailbroken when I had it

I would try that
    Follow me @LoganWesterman

Need Your iPhone Unlock Click HERE or Here
    Needs Your iPhone Fixed Pm Me!
    Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

Well I found out what the issue was. Looks like the previous owner attempted to replace the LCD and digitizer assembly and knocked off one of the chips off the board that is responsible for cellular signal. This video explains the issue. iPhone 4 mobile signal problem - The Computer Room Nottingham - YouTube (Not my video, but same issue). I've attempted to resolder it but so far I am unsuccessful as it is so hard to see without a microscope. Phone is basically an iPod touch right now.