+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Accidents, mishaps and horror stories.

is a discussion within the

Hardware

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Had a customer that wanted to repair their HTC Droid DNA. I knew going in that I didn't really want to do it but they paid for it so I'll
    iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Default Accidents, mishaps and horror stories.
    Had a customer that wanted to repair their HTC Droid DNA. I knew going in that I didn't really want to do it but they paid for it so I'll do it. Everything's going fine til I go to put the digitizer cable in. There's too much give so I try to pop the assembly back out of the frame. Bad idea. The slightest pressure made a hairline crack about a half inch long on the top left. #%(&!@ I yelled. As I started putting it back together it got worse and worse.

Didn't charge him and I'm ordering another one and will only charge him cost of part and no labor cus of my messup.

Thankfully I don't have a whole lot to fill this thread with but a couple.

My iPhone is a Part of Me iRevival's Avatar
    Thanks

I absolutely hate iPod touches. I'm also extremely picky about which ones I take to repair because a) I hate that and b) the bent corners really make them a pain to get the screen to sit flush.

One day I had a lady come in with her sons and it had a really large dent in the bottom near the charging port which is right where the screen was broken. I knew I shouldn't have accepted it because it was a bad bend but for some reason I decided to go ahead and do it. Unfortunately my head wasn't in the right place during the repair and while removing the metal plate that sits over the logic board I scraped off all of the resistors right next to the volume control flex with a flat, metal pry tool. After ************* the entire world I went ahead and finished the repair knowing I was wasting my time. The iPod never powered on again (I actually still have it in my desk drawer). Needless to say I had to replace the entire iPod because of that screw up. It was of course a white, 32gb 4th gen, which weren't easy to come by at the time and I didn't have any. Finally found one at a gamestop for a ridiculous price. I didn't even accept iPods for almost a month after that because I was so pissed. First and only customer device I've ever broken. Not trying to let it happen again haha.

P.S. I like this thread. Feel like we'll get some interesting stories out of it if people contribute.
    Twitter: @irevivalrepairs | Instagram: @irevivalrepairs

iPhone 4/4S Frame Swappers:
    Don't forget about that sim tray lever!
    iPhone 5 Frame Swappers:
    Don't forget about those screen clips!

My iPhone is a Part of Me
    Thanks

Hi, very good of you to replace parts when a mishaps occurs. I took a working old Nokia phone to a dedicated Nokia shop to get its Bluetooth software upgraded so that it would work with my hands free ear piece. Unfortunately, the software upgrade didn't take and I was left with a dead Nokia phone with no firmware. The owner of the shop refused to replace it saying that the phone was faulty and that is why the software didn't take. My point of view was that I took a working phone into his shop and should therefor be leaving his shop with a working phone!
    Anyway, my advice would be to explain to the customer any possible problems that could occur related to your experience with different handsets before taking on the repair. If the shop owner had explained that the upgade could brick my phone then the responsibility of such a decision would have been mine. I myself have changed the home button on a friends iPhone 4. I did explain before hand that the screen needs to come out and that there is always a chance of it breaking in the process. The screen did come out without breaking, but I did need to use a hair dryer to soften the glue around the screen first.
    Last edited by DC_Dave; 05-26-2013 at 01:04 PM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I bought a frame from focus supply, i think it was almost 120$ dhl shipped cuz i wanted it early. It arrived after 3-4 days. Found a guy on online classified ads that looked professional (he had 2k+ fans on fb); brought it in, took the whole afternoon, he *#^#^#* it up... I dont do repairs and i think i know more than him, he did not know that the little pin for the power button had to be inserted and even tho the pin was included he clammed the frame was cheap and blalabla. Long story short, he "assembled" everything then says the screen doesnt fit flush, he pushed my screen so hard he ended up breaking my digitizer (touch doesnt work on half the screen) so i told him to reassemble it back to factory, when he was done, there were a ton of little parts and screws lying on his desk not to mention my screen is half not working, power button not working, signal not working and sim not ejecting + lost of 120$(frame)

I guess some people are good with iphone 4/4s but NOT 5

He even clammed newest iphones are made cheap by apple thats why he has difficulty installing it...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to dk2000zx For This Useful Post:

edz0r (05-27-2013)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iRevival View Post
    I absolutely hate iPod touches. I'm also extremely picky about which ones I take to repair because a) I hate that and b) the bent corners really make them a pain to get the screen to sit flush.

I use to hate repairing them too.. but I found out a trick to getting them to fit 100% correctly. You just need to be patient and fit the glass on (upside down, LCD up) and make sure it fits good. Bent corners are easily bent back or the plastic can be carved away to make the glass fit.

I never use the adhesive anymore, unless the original can be used. If the breaks are too bad and the adhesive has a bunch of broken glass.. I just remove it all.

Super glue is the way to go with iPod touches. Just gotta make sure everything is 100% good before you put the glue on.

iPod Touches are my #2 repair.

------------------------------

The only "horror" that I ran into was an iPad 4th gen LCD problem. It's where 1/3 of the LCD is a little lighter than the rest.

I've never seen it happen on any other devices. Only the 4th gen iPad.. it can be fixed but it's not something I mess with (soldering certain part). I've had it happen twice out of about 100 4th gen iPads. The first time it happened a restore fixed the problem.. the 2nd time I had to buy a new iPad.

Always make sure you have the $$$ to replace a person's device.
    Last edited by iRepairIndy; 05-26-2013 at 02:38 PM.
    iRepair Indy

Thanks
    Thanked 3,865 Times in 2,205 Posts

I have 2 stories.
    1st was an ipad 2nd gen it was for a company i contracted with they send me hundreds of devices every year. But anywho they sent me the iPad and it had a broken glass and a pretty good dent so i decided to replace both front glass and the back everything was going fine till I went to put the LCD back in I got it in and was putting screws in got done and was about to close it up to put the glass back on and seal it up. I left my screw driver tip on the lcd and went to close it and i hear a snap and the lcd spider webbed. Needless to say i ended up replacing the LCD for free. They are my best customer so id probably buy a new one if i had too..

The second story is with a blasted ipod touch cant remember what gen but I did i went to raise the board so i could take out the old digi and lcd ribbons, the board was being stubborn and i ended up using to much force and cracked the board in half... It was the newest model out at the time but was only an 8gb so i ran down to walmart and picked one up.... Was suppose to make 60 bucks ended up losing 199....
    Follow me @LoganWesterman

Need Your iPhone Unlock Click HERE or Here
    Needs Your iPhone Fixed Pm Me!
    Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Cowboy View Post
    the board was being stubborn and i ended up using to much force and cracked the board in half...
    Lol.. never heard of that happening. Almost seems impossible..

Gonna start calling you The Hulk.
    iRepair Indy

Thanks
    Thanked 3,865 Times in 2,205 Posts

Quite simple actually lol
    Follow me @LoganWesterman

Need Your iPhone Unlock Click HERE or Here
    Needs Your iPhone Fixed Pm Me!
    Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

Thanks

On the 4th gen I could see it breaking fairly easily.

iPhone 5 Frame Swappers:

Thanks

Lol.. you musta slipped up.
    iRepair Indy

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by iRepairIndy View Post
    Lol.. you musta slipped up.
    Hence the thread title, hah.

Thanks

My worst scenario would be..

I had only repaired a few iPads, didn't care to, just did upon request because I didn't even advertise it. I had fixed this ladies phone and she had asked me on the spot if I could repair the iPad, took a look at it, no bent corners just cracked digitizer. I said sure why not.

Get the parts in, take it apart, put it all back together, power it on before setting the digitizer on the adhesive to make sure everything is good, starts booting, then the backlight goes out.. Great! Researched for hours trying to find a solution, nothing worked. Sent it to a place in NY for $85 to get the board repaired, got it back, put it all back together, test fit one more time, powers on all is good. Power back down, set the adhesive and digitizer. Let it settle and power back on, looking good... BOOM backlight goes out again. FML. Ended up basically buying the customer a new iPad 2 from MicroCenter, taking the $100 they agreed upon for the repair, selling the broken iPad on eBay. Bad day, no more iPads. lol

iPod Touch 4th gen are the devil as well, some reason I can never get the damn lcd/digitizer to stay in with adhesive, glue isn't a bad idea, but not if it ever needs repaired again

Green Apple
    Thanks

I installed baby blue housing on a girls iPhone 5. This was before i knew the high copy kits had the signal issue (had a rose gold one on my 5 and it was working fine). Sure enough the girl started complaining about the signal and wanted her original frame back on . I agreed to switch it back and give a refund. I was working at the time so I told her it might be a couple days before I can do it . In between that time she took it to apple . Apple apparently opened it up and told her I had replaced the antenna with a "crappy Chinese one". The girl then threatened to call the cops on me if I don't fix it . I fixed it and there were no issues. Some people though. And also shows that the Genius Bar is full of b s.

Also had my fair share of iPod touches. Hate those things lol.

Thanks

Today I cut the power flex on an iPad 2. A pitfall that I tell evvvvveryone about and to be careful with. Cut it! So stupid. And then I did a perfect HTC One X screen repair. Weird day.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by B-Roll View Post
    Today I cut the power flex on an iPad 2. A pitfall that I tell evvvvveryone about and to be careful with. Cut it! So stupid. And then I did a perfect HTC One X screen repair. Weird day.
    Haha yeah I've done that a few times. Luckily I stock all of those internal flex cables lol.

iPhone 5 Frame Swappers: