Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 4S - Power button not responding (New, replaced)

Default iPhone 4S - Power button not responding (New, replaced)
    Hi,
    I hope that this is the right place to post this.
    So, I'm currently repairing an iPhone 4S. The power button was stuck, so I bought a replacement cable (Power Flex Cable).

The problem is that I've successfully installed the button, but the phone doesn't react when it's pressed.

Any ideas?
    Thanks.

Thanks
    Thanked 7,065 Times in 4,206 Posts

I know cowboy ways says there's a spring or shim that goes under that button has that been out back in place?

Now a day, I just replace that silver button first instead of the whole flex cable. Less work ... 8-))

Thanks

Ahhh ok sounds good thought they may be a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by 2k1 View Post
    I know cowboy ways says there's a spring or shim that goes under that button has that been out back in place?
    Sorry I don't really get what you've posted :/

I bought a flex cable because the button couldn't go up again, and it goes up again with the new one. The phone is however not responding (Doesn't lock the screen when pushed).

Thanks

Oh I'm sorry thought you were taking about the home button. Ill message someone that knows more about these.

I made a mistake while changing the flex cable once before. Make sure that nothing is pressing against it, some buttons may not work.
    I accidentally lined the flex cable along the metal frame where the WiFi antenna (big black metal piece with 5 or 6 screws holding it in place) hooked on to the brackets. For process of elimination, remove the wifi antenna and check if power button is working ... Also, check if there is any damage to the flex cable if it was pinched.

Good luck

Nothing is working so far. I've ordered a new flex cable and button. (Still waiting)
    Any ideas how to fix this? (Saying the cable I'm using isn't faulty.)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Well it sounds like, so far, that you got a faulty flex cable/button. If you have ensured that the cable is in the right place, is not being smashed or bent in its current position, and is properly secured into the device and it still fails, then it is likely a part failure.

You can try a restore (of course, back the device up properly first) and see if that resolves the issue. Sometimes a restore will fix it. If not, then install the new flex cable and see, when you get it.

Quote Originally Posted by i.Annie View Post
    Well it sounds like, so far, that you got a faulty flex cable/button. If you have ensured that the cable is in the right place, is not being smashed or bent in its current position, and is properly secured into the device and it still fails, then it is likely a part failure.

You can try a restore (of course, back the device up properly first) and see if that resolves the issue. Sometimes a restore will fix it. If not, then install the new flex cable and see, when you get it.
    Hi,
    Thanks for you reply!
    I bought it on ebay from a guy in Germany. I got a cable and that cable caused NAND error on this iPhone. I got a new one, this one, and it still doesn't work. Waiting for the new cable..

If anyone has inputs, then please post

Also, don't forget to transfer proximity sensor "cover" from original flex cable over to the new ones. Otherwise, proximity sensor will not work... good luck

Recieved my new cables today. They worked. Finally!
    I bought them at almost half the price and the quality is MUCH better, even though they are cheaper.

Thanks for the help!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,202 Times in 1,924 Posts

Glad you resolved the issue. I suspected you received faulty cables, you never know what kind of quality you're getting when buying these things online.

Is it possible to just replace the small button that actually makes the "clicking" instead of the whole sensor cable?

Quote Originally Posted by giustoo View Post
    Is it possible to just replace the small button that actually makes the "clicking" instead of the whole sensor cable?
    You can replace the button itself, depends on the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by Edris.dk View Post
    You can replace the button itself, depends on the problem.
    Where do you purchase them?

nowhere lol. Replace the whole thing i would suggest

Thanks

9 times out of 10 its the flex cable not the button itself.

A neat trick if your button works sometimes but doesn't most of the time its not because the cable went out its because a tiny bead fell off the button that was pressing it down. Whenever I fix this problem for a friend or family member I disassemble it like I would to replace cable but instead just take my replacement water damage stickers and put them on the button part of the flex cable. This gives the extra umph your button needs to press on the cable. If you don't care about voiding your warranty with apple ( which im assuming you don't have since your not taking it to them for free button repair) you can use your own water damage sticker and save money. I never get any complaints.