+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Help With Precision Soldering

is a discussion within the

Hardware

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Anyone out there that can give my some advice with soldering? Basically I have a problem with an iPhone I bought. When switching from the back camera to the front
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Default Help With Precision Soldering
    Anyone out there that can give my some advice with soldering?

Basically I have a problem with an iPhone I bought. When switching from the back camera to the front the virtual shutter becomes stuck. This is because a tiny component had become dislodged. I tried making a bridge using a circuit pen to no avail.

Apparently the solution is to solder a wire between the two points shown in the picture. Would I have to remove the existing component before soldering the wire on?

Soldering Front Camera.jpg

As you can tell i'm new to this! I have a practice board to try out on before attempting the real thing. Any other tips before I screw this up?

Cheers

Thanks

I am not the alpha geek, but i need to understand what you are trying to do here.
    You want to place a jumper wire between the two points, right?
    Assuming this is correct, yes, remove (and save) components BEFORE soldering. Please do NOT attempt with anything larger than a 1mm tip, well cleaned.
    Do NOT add flux paste to clean the area, as t will pit the motherboard in places that you do not want holes. (Guess how i know?)
    Please explain which components you are talking about removing. I am a little lost there. Picture please.
    I can help a little, and share my bad experiences, but i need to know exactly what you are trying to do before i lead you into temptation.
    unklbyl

3. The Following User Says Thank You to unklbyl For This Useful Post:

LukeB1990 (03-24-2013)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    Hi unklybl, thanks for replying.

Yeah I intend to place a jumper wire between the two points. What I think I need to do is remove the component on the left where the wire meets the board. After the component has been removed I was going to solder the tip of the wire to the solder pad.

On the right hand side I wasn't going to remove any component. Instead I was going to solder the other end of the wire onto the second prong of the small camera connector.

As you said not to use flux paste, what else can I use to clean the area? I was thinking a toothbrush and isopropyl alcohol?

Thanks again.

Thanks

Sorry about the delayed response. Yes, alcohol is a good friend, but be SO CAREFUL.
    Laying a jumper wire is not hard, but upon reassembly, i almost forsee a few problems.
    Not impossible, just a potential pain. The architecture of the motherboard is such that your jumper wire will have to be routed around and under a few other parts that don't have a lot of room. Biggest problem i forsee is going around the bottom right corner and turning left. Super glue MIGHT work for making points for corners, but again, check your wire and the motherboard.
    Have you tried this on a living working iphone before?
    I don't want to discourage you, but want to caution, and make this as painless as possible.
    You should have fun too!
    unklbyl

6. The Following User Says Thank You to unklbyl For This Useful Post:

LukeB1990 (03-27-2013)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks
    No worries I'm in no rush.

I see what you mean. I think there is enough room between the WiFi cover to feed the wire right, travel along in front of the top of the battery, then feed it left.

I have a partially working iPhone motherboard I bought from someone who didn't pay their contract and got their phone barred. It works apart from receiving signal. So I was going to use this to test out my soldering on. If it breaks its no big deal. I was going to attempt it and redo it a few times before trying it out on the real thing.

Just to clarify with the component on the left hand side. Do I completely remove it and replace it with the wire?

Cheers for helping out a newbie.