+ Reply

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: [iPhone 5] Power- and Home-Button not working, No more vibration patterns

is a discussion within the

Hardware

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
Hallo everyone, Earlier this day I decided to change my iPhone 5's Backcover into a translucent black one. I succesfully disassembled and reassembled several iPhones before, but this should be
    What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Question [iPhone 5] Power- and Home-Button not working, No more vibration patterns
    Hallo everyone,
    Earlier this day I decided to change my iPhone 5's Backcover into a translucent black one.
    I succesfully disassembled and reassembled several iPhones before, but this should be my first iPhone 5.
    In my opinion the disassemble progress went very well. I was very careful and patient and finally the iPhone was completely teared down.
    Also reassambling wasn't a big problem... I thought so..

As I tried to boot my iPhone, nothing happened. The Power-Button was not working anylonger.
    Connected to the PC it started directly.. Once booted, I had to recognize that also the Home-Button were broken.
    As if this wasn't enough, the vibrator cannot vibrate in patterns anymore. There is just a persistent vibrating.

In my opinion I didn't break any cables. I checked the Power-Button flex twice and also checked the Home-Button connectors. They seem ok to me.

Does anyone have some tips regarding my problems?

Best regards,
    Sckrpnch

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

bring it to apple, service centers.. thats your best choice..

Thanks

Did you change power/mute/volume buttons from OEM? If so, did you remove the silver discs from behind them, which are needed for the buttons to function.

As far as your vibrator issue, loosen each screw on it then adjust it and tighten it back down. Had a similar issue on my first swap, that helped. Not sure about the clear plastic cases though, could be something else.

My iPhone is a Part of Me iRevival's Avatar
    Thanks

^+1.

The power button could be a few things. If you forgot to transfer the metal discs behind the buttons that'll do it. Also (atleast on my kit) those clear kits don't have the metal pin that helps secure the power button. I have to press mine off center until I decide to do something about that. Also make sure you installed the actual button correctly. The little bar should be facing up (or in your case the longer end of the button since the bar doesn't exist.)

As for the home button I would say it isn't making contact somewhere. Did you change the home button at all? It makes contact on the speaker assembly and I'd assume something is blocking that connection or something was damaged during install.
    Twitter: @irevivalrepairs | Instagram: @irevivalrepairs

iPhone 4/4S Frame Swappers:
    Don't forget about that sim tray lever!
    iPhone 5 Frame Swappers:
    Don't forget about those screen clips!

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thanks for your replies.
    I used the original metal Buttons with their metal discs on. The metal pin securing the Power-Button is present and the button also has a nice pressure point.
    Home-Button is still original, too.
    Next weekend I will fully disassamble and reassamble the iPhone with original Backcover again. Maybe things don't fit right atm.

Best regards,
    Sckrpnch

Thanks

I'll keep thinking about it. Let us know if you find anything.

iPhone 5 Frame Swappers:

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Hey,
    Last weekend I reassambled my iPhone 5 into its original Backcase.
    Nothing changed, Power- and Homebutton still weren't working. Also vibrationpatterns didn't work.
    I decided to buy new, original Flexcables, which I installed earlier this day.
    Installation was easy, no problems arised. After assembling my iPhone, I had to recognize that the Power-Button is still not working.
    Also my Home-Button is still broken. Just the vibrator is fixed now.
    I have no idea what to do now.

I will restore my iPhone now, hopefully this will solve my problems.
    If this won't, is there something wrong with my logicboard?

Best regards,
    Sckrpnch

//Edit: Restore didn't change anything -.-
    Last edited by Sckrpnch; 03-09-2013 at 07:57 AM.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Since I installed the new Lightning Dock Connector Flex cable, in hope that would fix my Home-Button problem, the Home-Button is randomly pressed without my "assisstance".
    While using the iPhone e.g. the multitasking-bar appears or I am sent back to Homescreen. On Lockscreen e.g. iPod-Controls appear or Siri starts randomly.
    If I purposely press the Button, nothing happens.
    Connectors do fit in my opinion.

Best regards,
    Sckrpnch

Thanks

Have you replaces the home button flex cable after replacing the dock assembly? Sounds like the actual button cable is malfunctioning now.

iPhone 5 Frame Swappers:

Thanks

Wow.. So your home button issue is 100% identical to the one I ran into when doing a swap to a gold iPhone 5 back. No matter what I did, it did not fix it.

1. Put my own working dock connector into the gold housing, didn't change anything.
    2. Put the screen with non-working home button on my phone and it worked fine. Clearly pointing to the gold housing at this point
    3. Moved everything back to OEM housing, home button still doesn't work, installed brand new dock connector, still nothing.

Ended up just taking it to Apple after all of my attempts of replacing parts, got it exchanged under warranty.

As far as your power button issue, that's weird. I'm starting to hate the 5 swaps lmao. Even with the reception fix, it still sucks

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

@iRevival: No, I did not change the Home-Button Flex cable. The whole front assembly wasn't touched.

@joshmoulton: That all is actual very weird. So you got your iPhone exchanged under warranty although you opened and disassambled it?
    I also was about trying to get it exchanged, but this will presumably make an jailbreak unavailable for some time in case 6.1.3 will be released very soon.

Thank you both for answering.

Best regards,
    Sckrpnch

Thanks

Unless you've mangled stuff on the inside, they will have no idea you've opened it. I've exchange my own as well as another after issues doing an back cover swap. They had no idea they had even been opened.

As far as worrying about 6.1.3, half of the units they have are barely even running 6.0 when they give them to you. They've got stock piles of them, so I doubt there's any worry about getting one updated, esp since 6.1.3 isn't out

13. The Following User Says Thank You to joshmoulton For This Useful Post:

Sckrpnch (03-19-2013)

Thanks

Yeah. Basically wipe down the fingerprints and make sure you didnt destroy the battery tab and you should be ok. I've done my 5 as well once. You 2 are the only ones I've heard with this issue though. I've done almost a dozen 5's now and I haven't seen this issue yet. Knock on wood lol.

iPhone 5 Frame Swappers:

15. The Following User Says Thank You to iRevival For This Useful Post:

Sckrpnch (03-19-2013)

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thank you guys for your advice, I got my iPhone exchanged under warranty.

Best regards,
    Sckrpnch

Thanks

I'm extremely curious about this issue. You aren't the first person I've heard who had this issue and I'm certain you won't be the last. I've never personally encountered this but I really hope that I never do. Glad to hear you got a new one.

iPhone 5 Frame Swappers:

Thanks

Same issue. Did a battery replacement for a customer and the home button and power button no longer function. All cables are intact and contacts are fine. I have a feeling the battery shorted out something on the board. Can someone offer an explanation? I put the original battery back in and same deal, no power or home.