Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: Parts Supplier Review: PacificToy.com

Thanks

Default Parts Supplier Review: PacificToy.com
    Hello all, I'd like to throw in my 2 cents on PacificToy.com for a review.

Website overview:
    I won't spend much time reviewing the website since that's not what you came for. The site seems pretty much what you'd expect from a merchant site. On the left hand side you have a list of categories consisting of: iPhone, iPod Touch, iPad, HTC, Memory Card, and Case. Each category has subcategories for the different model generation of the item. For example, the iPhone category has iPhone 2G, iPhone 3G etc, and upon clicking the subcategory, you get a grid with different products. The products are sorted by name in ascending order by default. The site carries various products that include iPhone tools, cases and parts.

Let's say I bought an OEM 4S Front Assembly, along with an A-Grade 4S Front Assembly (We'll get to quality later in the review). Once you checkout, you'll get a message that reads "If you want to use paypal, please click checkout/paypal. It will go to an error page and order no will be created. We will send you invoice." That struck me as fishy, so I just chose Google Checkout. I later realized that after choosing PayPal on a different order, that an Invoice was actually send to me, so that was my error.
    Score: 4/5

Customer Support:
    I send them an email about my order late in the day on February 1st, and they replied back in just a few hours (in English)! I had send another email today (2/8/13) and they got back to me within 24 hours.

Shipping:
    It came quick, shipping from Texas to New Jersey! I ordered $135 worth of parts on Friday, February 1 and I assumed that they would take 3-5 business days to arrive. To my surprise, Monday, February 4th they were on my doorstep at 10am.
    Score: 5/5

Packaging:
    This is usually where a lot of suppliers fail. Let me start off by saying I ordered parts from dozens of suppliers, and each have their own way of packaging valuables. I'm pleasantly surprised by PacificToy's packaging department. Each item was wrapped in their own bubble wrap and labeled with either O (OEM) or A (A-Grade). There was adequate packaging space and it didn't feel like the fragile screens were being forced down. On top of the reinforced box there is a stamped 'Fragile' which I have not seen from other companies.

Quality:
    Now comes the part you've been waiting for. OEM vs A-Grade. The only thing I heard prior to ordering was that someone on the forum mentioned that the A-Grade scenes were slightly brighter (if that was you, please stand up), so I figured that I would buy one of each and do a little comparison.

Let's start with A-Grade: PacificToy's website claims that A-Grade screens have "Lower Price and Better Warranty". What it should say is "Lower Price and Lower Quality". I emailed customer support today (2/8/13) about what their warranty was since I couldn't find anything about it on their website about it. I ordered both a white and black A-Grade along with a white OEM screen for the iPhone 4S. The exterior of the black A-Grade screen looks fine, no scratches / scuffs / anything out of the ordinary. The back also appeared fine, no damage to the LCD or anything wrong. It fit into place nicely (I haven't really has any screens from anyone that doesn't fit) so that made me glad. After assembling the phone and powering it on I noticed that it was slightly brighter, as one of the forum members said. I had another A-Grade screen I was going to install later so I didn't want to jump the gun and say that all A-Grade screens are bright. After it powered on, I did a comparison shot with my iPhone 4S (Apple OEM, left)
    -blackagrade.jpg

As you can see, it's a little bit brighter, but if you don't have another iPhone to compare it to, you can't really tell the difference. That wasn't the main problem with the black screen though. A bigger problem was when you pushed the screen, you'd get white areas from the LCD. What causes this, I'm not entirely sure, but if it was my iPhone, I wouldn't be happy.
    PacificToy.com Review Video - iPhone 4S A-Grade Screen Issues - YouTube

Onto the second A-Grade screen. Like the black, this white iPhone had nothing cosmetically wrong with it. The back and front both looked fine, no scratches / scuffs / or anything out of the ordinary. Unlike the black, though, white is a bit more difficult to get the color right. I was glad that the color didn't look off. I ordered the A-Grade screen kit so it came with a home button which the color matched. After installing the phone with no problems I went to turn it on, and same issue, it's brighter, just like the black iPhone. The colors were not distorted, just barely washed out, but again if you didn't have another iPhone to compare it to, you couldn't tell the difference. Here's a comparison shot with my iPhone 4S (Apple OEM).
    -whiteagrade1.jpg-whiteagrade2.jpg
    Score: 2/5

This leaves us one more screen, PacificToy's OEM (PT OEM). PacificToy's website states that PT OEM have "Best Quality" vs "Lower Price and Better Warranty" from the A-Grade screen. i was starting to get my hopes down since I had to bright screens in a row, and this screen looked the same, no scuffs / etc. After assembly, I powered it on and was surprised, it looked just like Apple's OEM. The blacks were sharp, the colors matched perfectly. I would actually believe if my Apple OEM screen was switched with PT OEM, I wouldn't notice. Here's a comparison:
    -whiteoem1.jpg-whiteoem2.jpg
    Score: 5/5

edit: I received my response for my question: 'What's the difference between A-Grade and PT OEM'
    We now offer same warrenty for both grade. You can return the part back to us as long as the parts still with protect films and look new - no broken.

Oem is the best quality. The display will be better color. A grade color is lighter.

Sarah
    Overall: PacificToy looks like a reputable seller, I am going to continue to buy my parts from them as long as they keep high quality screens in stock for the right price. I'm pleasant surprised on their shipping time, their customer support is responsive, the packaging for the iPhone is enough to keep the fragile phones from breaking and the quality of the (OEM) screens are superb.

Final Score: 4/5
    Last edited by DRPCs; 02-09-2013 at 10:56 AM. Reason: added quote from Sarah

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DRPCs For This Useful Post:

iRevival (02-08-2013), JAY LIVE (02-10-2013)

My iPhone is a Part of Me iRevival's Avatar
    Thanks

Good review. I've been buying from them for over a year and I've never had any major issues. Great comparison on the a-grade vs. OEM screens. Good to know.
    Twitter: @irevivalrepairs | Instagram: @irevivalrepairs

iPhone 4/4S Frame Swappers:
    Don't forget about that sim tray lever!
    iPhone 5 Frame Swappers:
    Don't forget about those screen clips!

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

Agreed. I've had great service with them over the last two years, they usually respond quickly to emails as well as ship quickly. Lately I've had a few incorrect items shipped, which have caused time delays in repairs I was custom ordering a color for, but no company is perfect and they made good by themselves sending me the correct ones. I've been pleased with them and I will continue to use them when I need something ASAP.

Great review I've been looking into this for some time, i'm tired of having a cracked 4s on both sides. Also thanks for all the help you gave me in the question of the year thread. If i could give you good feedback i would but i rated your thread as excellent. Very helpful and thorough review. *This should be a sticky thread*

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Thanks for the review, I will check out a color kit soon!

I had a terrible time with them. First they sent me a screen that didn't work, which was fine but they requested I send it back and in the mean time pay for a new screen so I could get it quicker and then they would refund me. Well, I paid for a new screen so I could fix my phone and sent the defective screen back but never received a refund. I contacted them numerous times but they said they never received my return which was signed for by them and verified by the shipping company. After I sent them the information confirming that it was indeed received, they refused to answer my emails and when I called, the guy would answer and just blast his car stereo at the phone over and over again.

Very unprofessional company, DO NOT BUY FROM THEM. They lost a customer and I refer everyone that asks about my phone to a different company and tell them not to buy from Pacific Toy. What a terrible business model and I hope they fail miserably and I will do my best to see to it.

Damn someone has a vendetta

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

lol yup - been using them almost 2 years nothing to complain about here.

Thanks

Big Update:

I'm no longer purchasing anything from PacificToy. The past few orders I have been getting major screw ups that are STILL in the process of getting fixed. It seems that they lured me in on good service and now that I have bought thousands of dollars worth of screens, they don't give two craps about you.

Here are my updated scores:

Customer Support:
    My last two orders have been screwed up. I had placed an order on May 22 for parts for my big Memorial Day sale. They arrived on May 25, enough time to sort out and inventory for the upcoming sale. Only problem was the box was heavily damaged. After noticing that I was missing 3 screens, instead 3 back glass were added. I quickly contacted them and within two days I got a response; They gave me 2% off my order ($4.25). After a few back and forth suggestions on what do to we finally agreed that I would get my ~$95 refund for the three screens if I send back the back glass. I send back the back glass and on May 29th they were delivered back to their Texas headquarters.

A while went by and nothing was emailed to me. Finally on June 12th, I emailed them again asking where my refund was, and their response: "we dont have any name under {my name}. I will keep you post when i have anything.."

Unbelievable, 2/5

Packaging:
    The last two packages have been damaged and my most recent (and probably last) shipment had a broken lcd because of that. I understand that traveling from Texas to New Jersey can be rough, but each package has been getting progressively worse.
    2.5/5

I've heard from others on the forum that PacificToy has been going to crap but I didn't realize until it happened to me. It seems that they have lost more that just me recently.

I have been getting poor quality parts and service lately from pacifictoy as well. The screens are always faulty and he never refunds or returns anything. Worst customer service I have ever experienced. If your looking for great quality black and white iPhone 4/4s screens check out the IPS screens from ipart2.com , never had one problem with them. If anyone knows where I can get good quality colored screens for around the same price of pacifictoy please let me know.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

I've only had one issue but I still order from them .
    Now they are selling 100% Oem screen can't wait to compare it to my original iPhone 4S screen.

pacifictoy.com offers 100% OEM iphone 4 front LCD screen for $27.99 which is a lot lower than others. Color set is only 36.99. iphone 5 front is 100% OEM as well. They also offer extra discount for bulk ordering.

so far all items i ordered from them, works fine for me.