+ Reply
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Your favorite Apple, iPhone, iPad, iOS, Jailbreak, and Cydia site.

Thread: iPhone 5 housing swap cellular issues

is a discussion within the

Hardware

forums, a part of the

iPhone Modding

section;
I drilled out the screw holes for the cellular and wifi antennas on a gold colour kit. I then removed the screw inserts from a clear conversion kit (way easier
    Green Apple
    Thanks

I drilled out the screw holes for the cellular and wifi antennas on a gold colour kit. I then removed the screw inserts from a clear conversion kit (way easier than taking them out of the OEM frames). secured the inserts in the drill hole with a tiny bit of Krazy glue. Wifi and cellular seems to be working mint. Even rocking 5 bars ! 👌. This does require a fair bit of work however . Someone else should try it and let me know if they had positive results as well. Sorry I didn't take too many pics, but here's what the drilled out screw holes look like.ImageUploadedByModMyi1366261744.202692.jpg

Thanks
    Thanked 3,865 Times in 2,205 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by sbgame View Post
    I drilled out the screw holes for the cellular and wifi antennas on a gold colour kit. I then removed the screw inserts from a clear conversion kit (way easier than taking them out of the OEM frames). secured the inserts in the drill hole with a tiny bit of Krazy glue. Wifi and cellular seems to be working mint. Even rocking 5 bars ! 👌. This does require a fair bit of work however . Someone else should try it and let me know if they had positive results as well. Sorry I didn't take too many pics, but here's what the drilled out screw holes look like.Attachment 633017
    Sounds like a lot but nice work.
    Follow me @LoganWesterman

Need Your iPhone Unlock Click HERE or Here
    Needs Your iPhone Fixed Pm Me!
    Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sbgame View Post
    I drilled out the screw holes for the cellular and wifi antennas on a gold colour kit. I then removed the screw inserts from a clear conversion kit (way easier than taking them out of the OEM frames). secured the inserts in the drill hole with a tiny bit of Krazy glue. Wifi and cellular seems to be working mint. Even rocking 5 bars ! ��. This does require a fair bit of work however . Someone else should try it and let me know if they had positive results as well. Sorry I didn't take too many pics, but here's what the drilled out screw holes look like.Attachment 633017
    Nice job! was it just those top two or were there others?

iPhone? More like MyPhone
    Thanks

I'd imagine the top two

Interesting find though for sure, I'm going to do a few of these to test out probably. I receiving an OEM color last night and swapped to it, took screenshots of Verizon LTE service in a few areas of my house with OEM and with a new high copy I received. I am running a jailbreak tweak that also changes the default signal sign not sure how much effect that could have on testing.

First is OEM Color -

Testing | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Basement / Upstairs

High Copy-

No sanding, straight out of package. Basement / Office / Kitchen

Noticeable difference in the signal in my basement, but that's about it. I'm installing it for a friend this week, so I'll get better reporting from him.

What's Jailbreak?
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by joshmoulton View Post
    I'd imagine the top two

Interesting find though for sure, I'm going to do a few of these to test out probably. I receiving an OEM color last night and swapped to it, took screenshots of Verizon LTE service in a few areas of my house with OEM and with a new high copy I received. I am running a jailbreak tweak that also changes the default signal sign not sure how much effect that could have on testing.

First is OEM Color -

Basement / Upstairs

High Copy-

No sanding, straight out of package. Basement / Office / Kitchen

Noticeable difference in the signal in my basement, but that's about it. I'm installing it for a friend this week, so I'll get better reporting from him.
    Looks decent I have a quick couple of questions, sorry to be annoying!

- Does it have the ground inserts or is it just a higher quality build without them?
    - What is the wifi signal like, if you're able to test that out?

Thanks!

Thanks

OEM is OEM, with ground inserts. High Copy is just an off grade aluminum with no inserts.
    Wifi signal has loss as well.

Thanks

So - I haven't fully verified with more than 1 yet, but I can tell you this.. I tried a new supplier on my last order to see their quality, etc and their price was much cheaper than competition on the high copy.

I was doing some sanding for a customer buying some from me, nicked the side of the frame a little with my dremel so I decided to use that frame as my personal and give them a good one. Anywho, long story short.. No reception loss. At all. Verified multiple times throughout the day in different areas of town and where I travel with a co-worker. Comparing to his OEM iPhone 5.

These do not have the screw nuts in them either, just to clarify. They look no different than any other high copy. I plan on testing a few more tonight or tomorrow when I get time.

My iPhone is a Part of Me iRevival's Avatar
    Thanks

Just a heads up. DO NOT order the clear frames from Focusupply. I ordered 10 of them and not one of them assembles correctly. None of them have raised screw holes for the lightning connector so you can't screw in the the middle 4 screws. None of them allow the headphone jack to sit correctly, so you end up with only half of the jack and are unable to plug anything in. All around a really disappointing experience because their plain clear frame is super clear like glass. Upset that I'm rocking my sky blue frame again.
    Twitter: @irevivalrepairs | Instagram: @irevivalrepairs

iPhone 4/4S Frame Swappers:
    Don't forget about that sim tray lever!
    iPhone 5 Frame Swappers:
    Don't forget about those screen clips!

Thanks
    I have an idea.

Take out the thread standoffs from old/ broken iphone 3g/3gs back housings

Theyre cheap and easy as pie to pull out

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by CustomKing View Post
    Nice job! was it just those top two or were there others?
    I only drilled out the 2 at the top, not all of them

Thanks

So far tested two frames with the inserts I bought, working good.

Thanks

Well, two days ago they starting activating the LTE service in my area. Time to mod a frame with the screw holes I stole from those bad clear frames :P

iPhone 5 Frame Swappers:

Thanks

I think i may have found a new supplier looks like they have the steel plugs in so i made an order for just one frame and hopefully will have it at the end of the week or early next week. I will let you all know what happens when i get it and share this supplier with you all frame cost me 72 bucks with shipping so not bad.

Have a question about Jailbreaking Pm Simon, Annie, Or just about any other member on here

Thanks

yeah thats not bad at all, as long as their pictures weren't tricking you lol

Thanks

Right I also emailed back and forth making sure. Sounds like it should check out ok

Thanks

Nice Cowboy. Hope it works out. I have so far tried this and actually received a drop in my signal instead of a gain on both cellular and wifi.

iPhone 5 Frame Swappers:

Green Apple
    Thanks

Yeah I ordered 7 frames from sunsky online . There pics showed the metal inserts but when I got them they didn't . Tried emailing them but they aren't helping out. Looks like I'm stuck with them

Green Apple
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by joshmoulton View Post
    So far tested two frames with the inserts I bought, working good.
    What did you use to glue them to the frame ?

Thanks

Well, I've got the drillbits that are perfect size. WiFi snaps in no glue. Antennas I used Krazy glue with fine tip on it, perfect.

Bad news though..

So unfortunately I can verify 100% that there's no chance in hell Focus frames will ever work right. I've tested two today, zero improvement in signal. I figured out that I was modding ones from another supplier I ordered from a while back. So here's the story.

Focus frames are made from some material that for whatever unknown reason seems to affect LTE only. Focus has great vibrant colors on their high copy frames which is why I like them.. I've bought only one OEM from them, which was "Light Blue" it's more grey than anything, but oh well. It answered my question to the fact that their OEM colors won't be as vibrant and nice as their high copy, most likely due to the material they are made of.

This 2nd company I bought from a while back, just because they were almost $10/per frame cheaper than Focus I figured I'd give it a shot. Colors aren't as vibrant, a little faded. (I will post up links to a bunch of pics later). Not all of the colors were terrible, mostly their red was a little faded. Others seemed fine to me. My biggest complaint was the headphone jack area, where the insert should normally snap in for the black/white ring, isn't molded right and I have to use a dremel to fix it, not the end of the world by any means.. Mostly because I have found that these get OEM service, no modding necessary. Verified multiple times with a co-worker on his iPhone 5 with OEM frame. I'd have same amount of LTE bars as him every random time we'd check in different parts of the city.

Did some digging, found this place owns their own factory and does all of their own stuff, most likely why they are cheaper. So right now I'm going to probably unload unfortunately a shitload of Focus frames for much less than I paid for them and cut my losses and try to work direct with this other company in getting some stuff fixed. I will dish out more details on the company soon, just don't want to jump the gun yet. I've got a friend wanting a swap tomorrow and I plan on using one and will verify on AT&T as well.

Thanks

Great. I only have about a dozen focus frames left. That kind of sucks. eBay it is!

iPhone 5 Frame Swappers: